The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    what would itv do without +1? cry. :(
    Itv+1 artifially increases their ratings unfairly compared to bbc1. BBC don't have plus 1 channels so it's unfair to add in the +1 for Itv and use those figures to compare to the beeb. Even official ratings adjudicator Barb don't allow the inclusion of +1 as it is not fair.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV need to do programmes that are not reality shows as people are bored with that genre now.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 6th September - Consolidated Ratings, inc +1
    The X Factor - 10.13m (42.7%)
    Doctor Who - 7.28m (31.1%)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not quite horrendous, but should be higher.

i think it will scrape 7 million in the officials. ;-)

a shame not higher as an amazing episode.

A post from the Doctor Who ratings thread:
    Muttley76 wrote:
    SJB 2007 wrote:
    True. Hopefully the overnights are levelling out now. My one worry is that the overnights has been a bit 'anaemic' slowly getting lower, but as i said i'll be surprised if they drop a lot lower then this episodes overnight rating.
    But again, thats pretty normal, obviously now the overnights are lower than they were in the early series, with bigger time shift, but the pattern of overnights dropping gradually through to the middle of the series then going up near the end has been a consist theme. Obviously harder to apply that to series 6 and 7 due to the splits, but before that it was certainly the pattern.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74793382&postcount=4227
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Itv+1 artifially increases their ratings unfairly compared to bbc1. BBC don't have plus 1 channels so it's unfair to add in the +1 for Itv and use those figures to compare to the beeb. Even official ratings adjudicator Barb don't allow the inclusion of +1 as it is not fair.

Not this again. People are aware of ITV+1 and therefore plan their viewing using it. Of course it should count. More would watch the original broadcast if it didn't exist.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does X-Factor keep going? It's so tired and obvious.

DW is still an ok show bit I think the general public are tiring of it, it's still doing better than 4.8m though. Close to 7m when all added up.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Not this again. People are aware of ITV+1 and therefore plan their viewing using it. Of course it should count. More would watch the original broadcast if it didn't exist.

The same argument applies to ITV 2 repeat of X Factor.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

DW has done quite well to get up to 7.28m it looked like it was going to a bit under that. Can it make 7m next week though?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BARB are not the "official ratings adjudicator" - they are a data research company for the TV and advertising industry. Not a referee. They provide data and it's up to others how they wish to interpret it and present it.

They also split up itv and itv HD, that doesn't mean we should be doing that.
    ITV need to do programmes that are not reality shows as people are bored with that genre now.

What are these reality shows you're talking about?

If you're talking entertainment/talent-elimination series then the top 2 shows on TV this week (by a margin) will be X Factor and Bake Off. So I'm not sure the ratings really support the argument.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    How does X-Factor keep going? It's so tired and obvious.

DW is still an ok show bit I think the general public are tiring of it, it's still doing better than 4.8m though. Close to 7m when all added up.

People with BARB boxes have no taste in programs :D
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks DMN.

Good final rating for The X Factor. 10m is good for any programme.

How did The Chase and Tumble do in the final ratings?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ad breaks decreases ITV's ratings compared with those of the beeb, it is therefore unfair to compare an advert loaded figure to one without. Even Barb strip out adverts in the officials as it is not fair.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    The same argument applies to ITV 2 repeat of X Factor.

Especially when it's the same day - there's no need to Sky+ or watch on demand when it's on itv2 or itv2+1 anyway. Which is obviously itv's plan as they'd rather people watched a "live" repeat than skip the ads on Sky+. There can't be much doubt that same day timeshift for XF is limited by the fact that at any time from 8pm to 1.20am, X Factor or Xtra Factor were being broadcast on an itv channel! Then today from 1.15pm-3.30pm you can catch it. And from 4.30pm-6.45pm.

As I've said a million times, TV ratings aren't actually designed to be compared between channels or to produce fair "winners" and "losers". When people try to do that they end up taking a very peculiar snapshot of a TV show. Trying to pile various repeats on top of a first showing can get complicated for sure, especially with limited data and the fluctuating number of repeats. But it's obviously worth considering when looking at a show overall.

Hollyoaks is a great example of this at the moment. With the one track mind of some in this thread, it would be getting axed because first run C4 ratings are way down. But the E4 first look is doing huge business and taken together, ratings are up 20% year on year.

Maybe it's unfair on a show that isn't repeated. Or maybe it's the broadcasters fault for not repeating it? Because it's unfair on the shows that are repeated to judge on first showing alone. You'll never get a clean, fair way of looking at it whatever you do.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not quite horrendous, but should be higher.

i think it will scrape 7 million in the officials. ;-)

a shame not higher as an amazing episode.

I always wonder why those who loved DW a few years back, who used to watch it in anticipation when broadcast, now can't be bothered to watch it until a few days later. If I like something I like to do it when it is available. It's one argument to say that DW viewers are more sophisticated, but it also has to be considered that the stories these days are not just the draws they were otherwise a sense of immediacy would still exist when it comes to watching it.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL, I wonder if most people who watch TXF also buy The Sun, as this seems to be like a propaganda paper for Simon Cowell in the same way the Daily Star used to worship BB.#
    Actually in a way the Daily Star's promotion of BB is admirable as most other tabloids gave up on it about 7 years ago.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but in the same way you could argue towards planning to watch a Sunday repeat of any show, but few would suggest adding that into the original broadcast these days. As Samuel says, BARB don't add the figures in for stats purposes.

Its always been a moot point on here and perhaps will only be satisfactorily dealt with on here when BBC1 has a +1 channel itself.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes but in the same way you could argue towards planning to watch a Sunday repeat of any show, but few would suggest adding that into the original broadcast these days. As Samuel says, BARB don't add the figures in for stats purposes.

Its always been a moot point on here and perhaps will only be satisfactorily dealt with on here when BBC1 has a +1 channel itself.

Yes, it seems to me that by all means, add +1 etc. into the consolidated figures, but if you are referring to two programmes broadcast at exactly the same time i:e 8pm, then it should be the figures recorded for that time slot thar are counted. I am pleased that now though, we generally get the ratings reported as with +1 or without +1 so overall improvements have been made. I always maintain that if +1 are going to be included for ED and Corrie then the BBC3 showing of EE should be included too. +1's are NOT the same channel. They have different channel numbers and their own EPG listing. Therefore they're different. So if it applies to +1 then it applies to BBC3 repeats on the same evening too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Yes, it seems to me that by all means, add +1 etc. into the consolidated figures, but if you are referring to two programmes broadcast at exactly the same time i:e 8pm, then it should be the figures recorded for that time slot thar are counted. I am pleased that now though, we generally get the ratings reported as with +1 or without +1 so overall improvements have been made. I always maintain that if +1 are going to be included for ED and Corrie then the BBC3 showing of EE should be included too. +1's are NOT the same channel. They have different channel numbers and their own EPG listing. Therefore they're different. So if it applies to +1 then it applies to BBC3 repeats on the same evening too.

We very rarely get to see those live figures though - we only get people who watched that broadcast at some point that day.

It's not entirely fair to include these things. But it's also not fair to just ignore them and pretend they don't exist or have any impact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i agree. anyway it is not as though the beeb need +1 channels. you only have to look at the barb figures to see the gap between the two main channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

indeed. raff riff. ;-)
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member

A decrease of 10k on the final figure for 'Into The Dalek', despite the overnight increasing by 20k, so a timeshift of 30k less for episode three than for episode two. But, especially with BARB's 3% accuracy swing, frankly nothing in it. Series average stands at just under 8m now, 7.91m, but because of the lower overnight 'Listen' needs a frankly ridiculous timeshift of almost 3.5m for the series average to get back over 8m, or even close to it, by this time next week.
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Anything for 4 & 5 last night??
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Maybe Open All Hours will be shown on Sundays? I think its perfect for a Sunday evening sitcom, would get a great audience. I so want it to do well. Perhaps it could be shown before Call the Midwife? Used to be shown on Sundays in the 80s and got pretty big figures (almost 19m in 1985).

Something like this?

18:30 Countryfile
    19:30 Still Open All Hours
    20:00 Call the Midwife
    21:00 The Musketeers (or another drama)
    I like that idea. 7.30pm would be ideal in many respects, but I don't think they'd be able to have it there for six weeks without Bergg lobbing a CS episode in. :(
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did Hole in the Wall get compared to it's replacements ever since? Think they should have kept it, it was rubbish, but knew it was rubbish. Cheap family fun, with no pretensions.
    I think it was getting 4m+ in its first series. I think it worked better with Dale Winton. There's still one unshown edition from the second series.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    A decrease of 10k on the final figure for 'Into The Dalek', despite the overnight increasing by 20k, so a timeshift of 30k less for episode three than for episode two. But, especially with BARB's 3% accuracy swing, frankly nothing in it. Series average stands at just under 8m now, 7.91m, but because of the lower overnight 'Listen' needs a frankly ridiculous timeshift of almost 3.5m for the series average to get back over 8m, or even close to it, by this time next week.

The trailer for last night's episode (accurately) suggested a darker, less viewer-friendly episode so no surprise that its overnights fell below 5m. That lead-in from Tumble doesn't help matters. (Also, the nice weather may have played a part as most programmes were down week-on-week last night, even X Factor.) With Pointless Celebrity as a lead-in next week and a more upbeat episode of DW (one paper describes it as a "gleeful crime caper"), hopefully it'll be back above 5m in the overnights next week. And then Strictly arrives.

Incidentally, I'm starting to think that Andy23 is Charlotte Moore's DS username. First she commissions a third series of Citizen Khan, then she announces that Miller's Mountain is to become a series, now she's re-commissioning Tumble for a second run. She's quite clearly trying to destroy BBC1 from within. Look out for future announcements that Alex Jones is to replace Mel & Sue as presenter of Great British Bake Off., Waterloo Road is to be revived and turned into a 2 x 60 minute all-year-round soap and, most disturbing of all, The Village is to come back for a third series next year. (The words "vanity" and "project" and "emperor's new clothes" spring to mind with that particular series.)
This discussion has been closed.