Options

Scottish Vote Pedictions, what do you reckon ?

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes 39% No 61%

I reckon the No vote will pull away now that things are getting serious.

If I had a vote I would vote No, but if any pollster had asked me in the last few weeks I would have said I would vote Yes, just to see more toadying from Westminister.

Comments

• Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    51% No
    Then watch the riots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50.00% Yes
    50.00% No
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will be No. In some ways Id like it to be Yes but I cant stand the thought of Salmond winning. I feel that when people are stood in the booth with pen in hand, unless they are absolutely sure about voting Yes, they will vote No. Hopefully they will realise what an important decision they have to make and theres no going back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm going to guess at:

Yes 44%
    No: 56%
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I honestly have no idea at this point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No 54%
    Yes 46%
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 60% Yes 40% No. But neither would the opposite result.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predict the polls to be bang on the money and have it 52% No, 48% Yes. Sadly.

Either way, it'd be better for everyone if it was won by one side at least 60/40, or it's going to get pretty bitter after the result.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Financial Wisdom. The Scots are canny folk, so NO.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just lets get it over with. Im sick and tired of the whole thing. Roll on Friday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it'll be a 55% No.
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also had a suspicion this last week that the polls may be somewhat misleading as to the actual result due to the way the campaign has been conducted (to some extent on both sides but yes I am mainly referring to intimidation and abuse from factions of the Yes camp). I'm currently anticipating about a 60/40 in No's favour.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Scottish Vote Pedictions, what do you reckon?

The general polling evidence still shows a small No vote majority and the detailed polling evidence indicates that the Yes campaign is particularly lagging behind in the support from women and young people.

Next, there is the spiral of silence effect whereby the unpopular opinion is underrepresented in the polling evidence because voters say they're undecided or refuse to take part in any poll. The patriotic and romantic option is being presented as a Yes vote and the staid option as being a No vote and it's that latter vote that's now being underrecorded. Ben Page, the CEO of pollsters Ipsos-Mori, has gone on record that he thinks this spiral of silence aspect is featuring in this referendum but it's very difficult to measure and record since they don't have a baseline comparison, i.e. a previous Scottish independence referendum. That's probably worth a few extra percentage points to the No campaign.

Based on all the above, I'm still going to call this a modest No vote win on Thursday. If the BBC, ITN or Sky News are doing exit polls on Thursday night after 10pm when the polls close, then they're probably worth paying attention to since they're generally more accurate that pre-voting opinion polls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    50.00% Yes
    50.00% No

Off topic, but what would happen if it were a 50/50 split? Probably won't happen but I'd like to know. Will it be a coin flip? Rock paper scissors? Another vote?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Off topic, but what would happen if it were a 50/50 split? Probably won't happen but I'd like to know. Will it be a coin flip? Rock paper scissors? Another vote?

There's an article on the BBC website today about exactly that.

The general gist of it seems to be "noone's thought to put a tie-break into the rules".
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    If it is yes, I will cry like a baby.
    I will be so upset.
    It will be a bereavement for me.
    I'm crying now.
    If it is what Scotland wants, I'll get over it.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    I think there is going to be a shock result 52% Yes 48% No
    The Yes campaign have been on a mission to register voters for the last few months and now over 97% of those eligible are registered to vote Many of them have been off the electoral register since the days of the Poll Tax IMO they are not registering to vote No and many of them are off the radar for the pollsters as they don't have phones or computers to be canvased
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I've spoken to a few Yes campaigners (yeah biased) but they all say the same thing. In the middle class areas it's 50/50 but in the council estates with people that have never voted it's nearer 70/30 in favour of Yes. I don't know but it would be great if that's true.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    I've spoken to a few Yes campaigners (yeah biased) but they all say the same thing. In the middle class areas it's 50/50 but in the council estates with people that have never voted it's nearer 70/30 in favour of Yes. I don't know but it would be great if that's true.

That's the vibe I get as well
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Its such a complicated issue that really has been done to death.

I understand and sympathise with both sides of the argument.

If the Polls are anything to go buy, the percentages are so close either result is going to end in resentment.

I personally think it should only be decided by a clear majority because a decision of this magnitude should not be decided by just a few percent (just my opinion though)

Its a Scottish decision though and its being decided by Scottish people so what ever the result I feel everyone has to respect it.

Sometimes it concerns me that a portion of people are voting solely on a Anti Tory Anti English probably think Braveheart was a reality programme Agenda, Which I think Alex Salmond plays on which I think can be a bit below the belt sometimes.
    If that's peoples prerogative though who am I to judge.

The thing that baffles me with the NO campaign is its so heavily endorsed by Rich and Famous celebrities most of which live in England and truly have their own interests at heart. (in my opinion though)

I think all the Home nations should have a referendum maybe every 10 or 20 years (including England) Because love or hate the Referendum it has bought to light a huge section of the Scottish population that's is obviously very unhappy with Society within the U.K.

I think once all the votes have been counted a good 55-60% of people will vote NO for an independent Scotland (in my opinion though)

I do think this is the starting point for Scottish Independence though, I can only see it getting stronger from hear on in.
    Even if its just purely for the fact that it has already before a single vote has been cast given the Scottish Parliament more powers than before.

Do I want to see Scottish Independence ? of course not we are small enough as it is without carving up Britain.

If Scotland Votes for Independence though, I shall be disappointed but I shall wish them well because with a leader like Alex Salmond at the helm I think you may need it.

Most of all though I hope the Referendum goes smoothly and peacefully without disruption and negativity.
    We truly don't need more violence in our world at this time.

Selfishly as well I do like a bottle of Irn Bru from time to time and I don't want to have to pay Import taxes on it.

So good luck Scotland,

From the English Born Quarter Welsh, Quarter Scot half yank with Nordic and German lineage.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the polls are pretty much neck-and-neck but the gamblers are convinced it's going to be no:

Yes: 4/1
    No: 1/4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    They might Toss The Caber. ;-)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Interesting that the polls are pretty much neck-and-neck but the gamblers are convinced it's going to be no:

Three polls in tomorrow's papers are all giving 52% No, 48% Yes (source = Radio Five Live).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »

The problem though is that those polls are formulated using previous voters so they're meaningless in this instance due to all the first time voters. It could easily be a landslide win for either side.