Tell me about some nice Gins

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
I've only really taken to Gin in the last couple of years. Obiously I've tried Gordons and a few own labels. Can anyone describe the merits of Hendricks, Plymouth, Bombay Saph. etc or any other hidden gems that you may be a fan of.

Also have we got any tonic snobs on here? Is Schhh the best or do any of the supermarket brands give it a run for its' money?

Comments

• indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll either love Hendricks or hate it. I find it very nice. My favourite by a long way though is Tanqueray No.10.
    I use Schweppes diet tonic, loads of ice and a whole lemon, juice and all in a long glass. Heavenly!!
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmm, gin & tonic is my drink of choice!

I tend to drink Gordons at home as it's reasonable and not too pricey, or Bombay if I'm feeling flash! However, my favourite one I've had thus far, is Millers. It's really sort of fragrant if you get my meaning.

My bosses bought me a posh gin at Christmas. It was nice, but not wow, and I'm damned if I can remember the name!

As for tonic, I buy Schweppes slimline.

Yes, and lots and lots of ice. And I prefer lime, rather than lemon.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah Gordon's is nice, Bombay is also good. Plymouth can be a strong sometimes. Millers is great as you can drink it straight with no tonic, also you can store it in the freezer(similar to you would do vodka). I like lemon in gin, but I prefer lime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bombay is my favourite - I find it more mellow than Gordon's. It is quite pricey though - shop around for good deals.

I'm happy with any tonic as long as it's low-calorie. The full sugar stuff hurts my teeth!:o

I'll have a wedge of lime at a push (not a fan of food in my drinks) but never a slice of lemon.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bombay sapphire for me too - I would only drink Gordon's at a push. Any diet tonic, loads of ice and a good squeeze of lime.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Another Tanqueray fan here. Of the mainstream gins, I prefer Beafeater to Gordons and don't like Bombay Sapphire at all - too 'flowery' for me. I haven't tried Hendrick's yet, but fully intend to as I hear very good reports.

For tonic, diet Schweppes for me. In fact, I'd say that a good quality tonic is even more important than a good quality gin. I used to sometimes get Victoria Wines' own label 'Victory' gin and it was fine with Schweppes, whereas I've had cheap tonic ruin decent gin.

Ice and a slice - either lemon or lime - is a must for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendricks is the best gin

for the best tonic you need to go to waitrose to get fentimans, the tonic actually has alcohol in it.

or Fever Tree is another good one
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Gordon's for everyday use, but I prefer the complexity and smoothness of Bombay, especially if I'm having a Martini. For me, though, the best has got to be Plymouth Gin. Because of the very soft Devon water that they use for Plymouth Gin, it's quite a bit different from the 'London-style' gins such as Gordon's, Bombay and Tanqueray. I find Plymouth Gin to be the best for Martinis and the like, but I'd never bastardize it by using it with tonic water, etc. That would be like mixing a single malt with soda water.
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greenall's Gin
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    As Fizzee said, Blackwoods is very nice - so smooth you can drink it neat. You can get it in Sainsbury's.
  • cakeholecakehole Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    As Fizzee said, Blackwoods is very nice - so smooth you can drink it neat. You can get it in Sainsbury's.

And Asda. I'm very taken with this gin, plus it has a very pretty bottle which I use for my sloe gin (made with cheap supermarket gin!). I like the cork top, such a shame that Plymouth stopped doing this.

I also drink Tanquery and Hendricks.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Hendricks - served with tonic, ice and cucumber. Deeeeelicious!

However, Gordons or Bombay will do me for everyday "cooking" gins.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordons is a waste of money. For the same price you can get supermarket own brand premium gins (Tesco Finest, Waitrose Original etc). Far superior. Or save money and buy the standard supermarket own brand and you probably won't notice the difference except for in your wallet.

Beefeater 24 is absolutely gorgeous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Miller's gin and Fever Tree tonic water, slice of lime.

Utterly divine - the tonic water really makes a difference.

Although, as an aside, I have just been on holiday in the Gambia and bought local gin for £1.20 a litre, and very passable it is too! I think it tastes better for being so cheap...
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An update: I have moved onto Greenall's Gin as a day to day gin - I'm a bit broke at the mo so thought I'd try a slightly cheaper one than Gordons when I was shopping in Sainsbury's. And it's more than perfectly acceptable as a run of the mill gin for general consumption.

One day, when all things financial are on the up, I'm going to treat myself to a bottle of Miller's though!
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently tried Bloom gin, absolutely amazing if you don't mind a more floral gin and could be drunk neat.