Would You Change Your Sexual Orientation If You Could?

Comments

• Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be gay?:confused:

That's true, judging by the amount of whining they do, them gays
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseMaybud wrote: »
    Not a case of want, just are. Like someone straight - no choice in the matter.

That's the point of the original question though... there's no sane reason to want to change your sexuality to be gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

because they get the biggest crushes ever on men?

because they love male characteristics, male energy, and need that type of energy in their life to back up or compliment their own energy?

Because, why should they be deprived of a man who puts them first, and is devoted to them, just because of their anatomy? Why should only women be allowed to cherish men, or be cherished by men, ie have a male significant other?

because - more sleazily - they find the physical stuff fun?

diverting a little from the topic here, but above are my responses.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    I wish I could work out how to do multi-quotes!

but thanks for the posts people and to PlatinumSteve and Elphie Lives, was it because on a non-physical, emotional level you preferred the opposite sex - or, was it for more social reasons, such as fear of homophobic abuse, fear of social rejections, not wanting to be not seen as normal, not wanting to disappoint parents or other social stuff?

I personally had been brought up to believe that you meet a boy (or a girl if you are male), marry (in a church) and then have lots of lovely babies. So I guess it was mostly a fear of my parents' reactions, I was convinced my dad would hate me. But you can't live your life in fear of what other people think.
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love being a big ole lump of a homo..

came out at 15 never looked back..48 now still happy.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be straight; bisexuality feels kinda pointless to me.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    No, I like women too much.
    This.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Yes.

Ideally, I'd orientate myself so I was kneeling on a bed just behind Karen Gillan.

Corrected :p.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, More than happy being straight, It's the way forward.
  • italker69italker69 Posts: 363
    Forum Member

It has always amazed me. Just doesn't seem quiet right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the point of the original question though... there's no sane reason to want to change your sexuality to be gay.

Comes across a bit harsh IMO... kind of implies that there's something negative about being gay.

Regarding the original question... I go through phases where I believe that I would change my sexual orientation if i could, purely because I have spent many hours puzzling over my sexual orientation as it is.

When all is said and done though, I would probably leave it as it is... I'd probably regret choosing to be straight or a lesbian after being used to me being me for so long.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be straight; bisexuality feels kinda pointless to me.

You'd probably just need to get lucky. Perfect, well off, young man who doesn't mind you having girlfriends and hot tub sessions. Sadly I'm way too old although the hot tub sessions would probably work wonders for my knees.

Good Luck and all the best. :)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comes across a bit harsh IMO... kind of implies that there's something negative about being gay.

Regarding the original question... I go through phases where I believe that I would change my sexual orientation if i could, purely because I have spent many hours puzzling over my sexual orientation as it is.

When all is said and done though, I would probably leave it as it is... I'd probably regret choosing to be straight or a lesbian after being used to me being me for so long.

I didn't mean to say it was negative, but wondered what benefits are there? Dolls answered I guess.
    If blokes like a bit of rough and tumble ;)
    plus, you can leave the toilet seat up.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,146
    Forum Member
    I honestly wouldn't.

I am proud of being gay, and while it doesn't define me as a person it's obviously a part of who I am, and I'm happy with who I am.

I just could not imagine what it would be like to be straight at all. :D It goes much much deeper than the physical aspect.

because they love male characteristics, male energy, and need that type of energy in their life to back up or compliment their own energy?

Because, why should they be deprived of a man who puts them first, and is devoted to them, just because of their anatomy? Why should only women be allowed to cherish men, or be cherished by men, ie have a male significant other?

Exactly this. :)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

What, including the lady gays? :confused:
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I'm gay and to be honest I'd happily take a pill to turn straight - life would be so much easier. I'm too square and middle of the road to be "different"....I'd prefer to be in the majority - and I'd LOVE to have kids
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I'm gay and to be honest I'd happily take a pill to turn straight - life would be so much easier. I'm too square and middle of the road to be "different"....I'd prefer to be in the majority - and I'd LOVE to have kids

Not much on here affects me, I'm far too cynical for all that, but this really touched me. Choked up and not quite sure what to say :(
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be a femme lesbian if I could change gender and sexuality.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I didn't mean to say it was negative, but wondered what benefits are there? Dolls answered I guess.
    If blokes like a bit of rough and tumble ;)

plus, you can leave the toilet seat up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntcARPp1OE#t=0m6s

Nuff said :sleep:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No, I'd rather not have to face the bigotry that gay people continue to encounter to this very day. I'm quite happy as I am anyway.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for a second. It still annoys me today when I hear people say 'You think I'd choose to be gay?'

Well, why not?

I wouldn't choose not to like pizza. I don't have any great urge to prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate. I'm satisfied with my preference for movies and books and sports interests.

I don't understand why I'd want to change any of that. They're all the same, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    What, including the lady gays? :confused:

No I was kind of thinking Glowbot meant just the guys because he didn't add lesbian to what he said.
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely if you WISHED you fancied the opposite gender than the one you currently do, then you must already to some degree?

I mean, I'm straight and have no wish to be gay. But if I wanted to be gay, then surely I already am for the fact that I want to like men? :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.......
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Not for a second. It still annoys me today when I hear people say 'You think I'd choose to be gay?'

Well, why not?

I wouldn't choose not to like pizza. I don't have any great urge to prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate. I'm satisfied with my preference for movies and books and sports interests.

I don't understand why I'd want to change any of that. They're all the same, surely?

I that that comment 'You think I'd choose to be gay?' is part community rhetoric, in response to bigotry, and also a confirmation that things are vastly better than they were, but still nowhere near good enough to allow people to live a healthy satisfied fully productive life in the face of bigotry. We should count our blessings that we live in one of the most progressive of societies, but never forget there is still a list of things which need to be sorted, and that hearts and minds change for the better, in all sorts of areas, only slowly and with incremental steps. Bullying still rife in schools, no marriage equality, benefits and pensions still wrong for Civil Partnerships, still a lot of crime (Stuart Walker et al), and daily abuse by religions and bigots. We must never stop challenging wrong behaviour or it will never change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I feel for you but I can't feel like this at all - I despise the tendency of a lot of the bigots of society to just put love into heterosexual brackets - I think it has a tendency to block womens need for women and mens need for men in a non-sexual way, too - that it promotes same-gender competitiveness and hatefulness, that's just how I feel - i guess maybe cos I feel same-gender love is something which goes just a bit further than friendship but is otherwise the same as friendship - just how I feel ...

And I don't think that makes me different. I actually think homophobia is what is unnatural and some sort of unhealthy social trend of the moment. Go back a couple of hundred years and most societies didn't have these sorts of mind-sets, including western society. Just what I think.