Options

Customs charges on overseas orders?

j24j24 Posts: 3,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was going to buy a DVD boxset from america which is only available from one website. But I've just been told that along with the shipping cost ($30) I would have to pay and extra customs charge when it arrives in the UK. Is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j24 wrote: »
    I was going to buy a DVD boxset from america which is only available from one website. But I've just been told that along with the shipping cost ($30) I would have to pay and extra customs charge when it arrives in the UK. Is this correct?

I think the upper limit for customs duties is around £19 value (beyond that, you have to pay), but I don't think this applies to gifts, so I've sometimes had things sent that are marked as gifts. Of course, if they discover that it's NOT a gift (invoice on the front, or something), they'll still charge you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I think the upper limit for customs duties is around £19 value (beyond that, you have to pay), but I don't think this applies to gifts, so I've sometimes had things sent that are marked as gifts. Of course, if they discover that it's NOT a gift (invoice on the front, or something), they'll still charge you!
    I orderes a cd of the site a few months ago which came to £32 and didn't have to pay anything, but a friend sent for the DVD and got charged £18 customs fees
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I orderes a cd of the site a few months ago which came to £32 and didn't have to pay anything, but a friend sent for the DVD and got charged £18 customs fees
    It can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes things slip through.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member

The answer to your question may be found on the HMRC website. First bullet on this page:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i don't think there is any duty payable. it would only be ~£4 and i think it's waived at this level, though i could be wrong.
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i don't think there is any duty payable. it would only be ~£4 and i think it's waived at this level, though i could be wrong.

Not necessarily - and don't forget the post office adds on a handling charge so it hikes up the amount you have to pay, sometimes by quite a lot.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, there are two different things to consider; customs duty and import VAT.

On consignments valued at up to £15 there is no customs duty due and no VAT due.

On consignments valued between £15.01 and £135 there is no customs duty due but VAT is due at the normal prevailing rate.

On consignments valued over £135 both customs duty and VAT are due. The customs duty is waived if the amount due is under £9. VAT is due at the normal prevailing rate.

Gifts to the addressee valued at up to £40 do not attract customs duty or VAT, but follow the above rules at values above £40.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Not necessarily - and don't forget the post office adds on a handling charge so it hikes up the amount you have to pay, sometimes by quite a lot.
    You do not have to accept these charges. You can refuse to pay the post office and settle with HMRC directly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I ordered a PSP from the US when they first came out (stupid i know). Cost about £150 i had to pay £35 import charges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious OP, if you don't mind me asking, what the DVD is? I just wonder why it's only available from one particular website? Is it the distributor's website only? I just wanted to make sure it's not one of those dodgy websites which claims to have box-sets which have never been officially released.

Also is the box-set very heavy or are they sending it by courier? $30 for shipping seems like a lot for a DVD from the U.S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious OP, if you don't mind me asking, what the DVD is? I just wonder why it's only available from one particular website? Is it the distributor's website only? I just wanted to make sure it's not one of those dodgy websites which claims to have box-sets which have never been officially released.

Also is the box-set very heavy or are they sending it by courier? $30 for shipping seems like a lot for a DVD from the U.S.

No its not a dodgy site, its band merch from their website. Its 5 concerts on 5 dvds boxset