How many times have you watched your favourite film?

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
Given that film critic/reviewer Mark Kermode states that he has watched The Exorcist more than 200 times, have many times you you watched your favourite film?

My pick is 'Alien' - I must have watched that 30 or 40 times since it was first released on VHS (although I've never seen it in the cinema). No doubt there are Star Wars fans out there who have seen one or more of the films a few hundred times.

Comments

• CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my favourite films I've watched at least 20 odd times, some a bit more.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    I must have seen Some Like It Hot more than a hundred times over the years.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's loads of films I've probably seen upwards if 15/20 times.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I have lost count of how many times I have seen The Green Mile and Forrest Gump.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Gosh, I've really lost count of how many times I've watched my favourite films. But I don't think it reaches the 100s for any of them.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and a mate watched Life of Brian and The Holy Grail nearly every day one summer holidays back in the early 80's. Knew them off by heart. I think people thought we were deranged as we quoted the knights of Ni. "we want… a shrubbery":rolleyes:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must have seen 'Singin' In The Rain' at least 50 times. I can pretty much recite the whole film along with the actors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    When I was younger my favourite film was Color Purple (still is) and watched every Sunday for about 3 years! watched it a few times as I've gotten older as well, so I would say I've watched it over 200 times and know it word for word
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    My favourite film is Grease and has been since I was 3.

I tend to find that I need my 'Grease Fix' at least fortnightly / weekly.

Over the years I have probably watched it over 500 times - I know it word for word and never get bored of it! :D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the funny thing is - even though you have the film on Blu/DVD - it comes on TV, and you probably watch it again!

the shared experience with people you never meet!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda think theres 2 answers to this -

how many times in the cinema?

how many times on tv ?

I reckon I saw Star Wars at least 10 times in the cinema , I saw it 3 times on the first day !

on tv its probably Vanishing Point or Matrix Reloaded .
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen "The Lost Boys" at least 50 times since 2008 when I first bought it on DVD.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen Robin Hood Prince of Thieves,
    Indiana Jones
    James Bond
    Harry Potter

Countless times. There's more too but if I really like a film I can watch it obsessively without getting bored
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't say it was my favourite film. But I have seen Robocop easily more than 200 times. Saw it for the first time in 1987 and loved it. How could an 8 year old boy not love it? Got my parents to get it from the video shop every week for the next 6-12 months before they bought it for me. Watched it all the time.
    Got the directors cut on DVD about 6-7 years ago to rekindle my addiction. Still watch it at least twice a year.
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Must have seen Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz quite a bit over the years. I've definitely seen How To Train Your Dragon and Easy A around 10/15 times.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young & Dangerous (the first four) URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_and_Dangerous_(series)"]wiki[/URL
    Blade
    Summer Blues Time Machine URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XftzMJHr4"]trailer[/URL
    The Red Shoes
    Boys, Be Ambitious URL="http://vimeo.com/20163051"]trailer[/URL
    The Fifth Element
    If...
    All About Lily Chou Chou URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDr1scwNC78"]trailer[/URL
    Resident Evil
    most Ealing films (The Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hearts and Coronets, etc.)

I watch all those almost every year.

Edited: Shaun of the Dead also!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange Wilderness - five times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I genuinely have no idea how many times I have seen Barefoot in the Park or The Odd Couple (don't make me choose between them!). They are like comfy slippers now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    There are other films I admire more, but they are necessarily more challenging and so don't stand to be re-watched too many times.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the three films I have watched the most times over the past 50 years have been

Ben-Hur; (I first saw it in 1958, and always watched it on BBC when it was usually transmitted at Christmas, or Easter. Once I bought it on VHS Video and later, DVD, I probably watched it about four times a year. Looks fabulous on Blu-Ray.)

The Quatermass Experiment, (One of my favourite Hammer movies, must have watched this about 60 times.)

and the excellent Rank version of the sinking of the Titanic,

A Night To Remember. (Possibly watched this more times than any other movie, at least 70 times so far, and still counting.)
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Withnail & I

Return of the Living Dead

Bad Santa

& Star Wars [kid]

Way too many times to count, but defo probably/ maybe close to 3 figures :)