tedmaul09tedmaul09 Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far from his best
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barking mad, as subtle as a massive tuna falling on you from 10000 feet, and how much of the police budget, do you think BOSS's car is :D

please don't have just one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    If this is supposed to be Charlie Brookers best, then I'm afraid I must be missing something !!:confused:

...I don't think anyone has said that and it far more pure comedy than anything Brooker has done its impossible to compare.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the morgue scene. The creepy Twin Peaks-type singing and then the inappropriate father-daughter relationship.

It was also something different from Charlie. Not satirical but silly in his words.

Too many people don't let enough silly into their lives and want their humour to be cool. Shame. But there you are.

Brought me back to the Airplane and Naked Gun/Police Squad silliness.
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this and I'm puzzled by negative reviews. I know we can't all like the same things, but come on!

What did the restaurant say? Nothing, it's just a building. It hasn't even got a larynx.

Enjoyably mad.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying a bit too hard, I think. Feel like I've been pounded around the head with a jokebook. But a few gems here and there, if you could find the time to catch them.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ooh..........I was going to watch this on 'Plus One' after BB...........but there doesn't appear to be a Sky One Plus one on Virgin..............:eek:

oh wel, it'll probably be repeated a lot.............
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this very amusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found myself ticking off the gags as they came around with a "yeah, I see what you did there with that" attitude and then by the end hadn't cracked a laugh during the whole programme.

Trying far too hard to be clever and not trying hard enough to be funny
  • Options
    jlighthijlighthi Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just not funny. Very silly. Sloppy writing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely hilarious. Crying with laughter. Brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlighthi wrote: »
    Sloppy writing.

Whaaaaaaaaaa??????
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what some people on here are smoking. This show was absolutely hilarious. Funniest hour of TV I've seen in a while
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very, and lazy too. The written gags that weren't directly ripped off from other stuff were sooooo predictable

"She was out buying herbs"

"Time?"

(oh, no, wait, there's going to be a twist on "time" vs "thyme" coming up here in a second......)

"No, coriander"

And there it was......

Seriously?
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly stupid. I really enjoyed it. That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved this :D Very funny!
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Never laughed so much before in my life...
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Absolutely hilarious. Crying with laughter. Brilliant.
    So which is it? :confused:
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    Very, and lazy too. The written gags that weren't directly ripped off from other stuff were sooooo predictable
    Oh I don't think it's fair to call the writing lazy. Apart from the "headline" gags, there had obviously been a lot of effort put into adding depth to the show. Did you notice Sally Bercow House on the estate, or any of the other subtle pieces of humour that were scattered around? They didn't just happen.
    "She was out buying herbs"

"Time?"

(oh, no, wait, there's going to be a twist on "time" vs "thyme" coming up here in a second......)

"No, coriander"

And there it was......

Seriously?
    Yes, we all saw that one coming a mile off (same with the "sex games" line). But it was still funny because it was well presented. Some of the funniest gags in comedy TV, for instance in Yes Minister among others weren't funny for the entirely predictable line or situation, but for the comic timing, expressions and also because of the expectation that it was coming. You knew what Hacker / Humphrey was about to say, but that never detracted from the humour.

So yes, there were a lot of predicatble gags in the show, but there were a lot of original and very funny pieces, too. I'm sure that Booker et. al. put a lot of time and talent into producing these two shows - if only some of Sky's other "comedy" writers would do even one-tenth as much work, or had one-tenth as much talent..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Oh I don't think it's fair to call the writing lazy. Apart from the "headline" gags, there had obviously been a lot of effort put into adding depth to the show. Did you notice Sally Bercow House on the estate, or any of the other subtle pieces of humour that were scattered around? They didn't just happen.

Yes, and the "Weiss Squad" beer on tap in the pub, and the messing about with car number plates, and the posters in the background in pretty much every shot, and the toilet signs, and all (well, probably most) of the other stuff too.

It was fun to pick up the visual references, but that's what I meant by too much effort going into it being clever, but not enough into making it funny. Saw the gags, didn't laugh.

And none of that had anything to with the writing. The script that wasn't derivative was predictable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    A proper homage to Airplane! Even a tribute to Otto.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I found it funny in an old school kind of way. I just wasn't particularly engaged with the story to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So which is it? :confused:

I was joking. This is a typical forum. Some people think it is clever and hilarious. Some that it is derivative and silly. Others something in between. This show is about your sense of humour and also the mood you are in when you watch it. My wife thought it was silly and unfunny. I thought it was silly and hilariously funny.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what people expected, but I thought it did what it said on the tin.
    Yes, it was silly..that was the intention. It was packed with silly stuff, some of it made me groan, other bits made me laugh out loud. Like others have said, I'm going to have to watch it again, there was a lot going on in the background that I seem to have missed.
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what people expected, but I thought it did what it said on the tin.
    Yes, it was silly..that was the intention. It was packed with silly stuff, some of it made me groan, other bits made me laugh out loud. Like others have said, I'm going to have to watch it again, there was a lot going on in the background that I seem to have missed.

People were saying it was like Naked gun so I expected it to be funny, this was not.

The idea is good but they were trying to hard, it seemed every line was trying to be a joke. Plus the cast didn't have good timing to pull it off.