Options

Couple spend £6,000 rescuing stray cat from Egypt - only for it to run away

UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9583962/Couple-spend-6000-rescuing-stray-cat-from-Egypt-only-for-it-to-run-away.html
Telegraph wrote:

A couple who spent £6,000 bringing a stray cat back from Egypt to escape the revolution are devastated after it went missing.

Railton and Dawn Elliott fell in love with the tabby called 'Omar' and decided to save him from violence sweeping the country during the Arab Spring.

The couple shelled out a fortune in quarantine and vets' bills and the lucky pet settled into his new life at their home in rural Oxfordshire.

But Omar vanished two weeks ago and the pair have now launched a high-profile search, plastering the local area in 'missing' posters.

Dawn, 46, who runs a confectionary company with her husband, said: "We're absolutely heartbroken.

"We'd give anything to have him back. He's such a lovely and friendly creature."
What this devoted couple spend their money on is their own business but couldn't some of it have been spent on a microchip? Maybe there's a long waiting list to get them injected.

(The above spelling mistake is the Telegraph's own, by the way)

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha ha ha ha! :D

That's brilliant! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Money burns a hole in some peoples pockets.
    Their money i suppose.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More evidence that, no matter what we tell ourselves, cats are completely indifferent to their 'masters'.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can get GPS chips now... it'd be devastating if they were to look the cat up on the computer to find it swimming back to Egypt or something though.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a stray, always a stray. They should have asked themselves how it became a stray in the first place.

Plus, tom cats do tend to wander off for long periods anyway, even if neutered.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nowt so queer as folk.
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I think you can get GPS chips now... it'd be devastating if they were to look the cat up on the computer to find it swimming back to Egypt or something though.

Or in a fox! :eek:
  • Options
    LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Railton?

Railton?

WTF?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet this couple are feline pretty stupid at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet this couple are feline pretty stupid at the moment.

That's just catty.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

So, just like the couple, the cat could be in De Nile.

Sorry. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sixtynine wrote: »
    That's just catty.

Well it's no good pussy footing around the truth.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must have missed his mummy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must have missed his mummy.

Pharaoh-nough. I didn't consider that thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's no good pussy footing around the truth.

Well the cat's out the bag now, isn't it :D
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I shouldn't, but.

ROFLMAO :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The puns in this thread are actually funny and clever.

Made me smile.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    blue blade, I read that they thought he'd been abandoned by his owners amid all the Arab spring stuff, rather than him being a stray.

loving the puns, by the way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The puns in this thread are actually funny and clever.

Made me smile.

I too am grinning like a Cheshire Cat :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    blue blade, I read that they thought he'd been abandoned by his owners amid all the Arab spring stuff, rather than him being a stray.

loving the puns, by the way

Was he ? ~ oh, fair enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    More evidence that, no matter what we tell ourselves, cats are completely indifferent to their 'masters'.

Not at all, the cat hardly knew them. He did not know his new surroundings, he had not had time to mark his territory.

I have 4 cats and they all know where home is. Then again I kept them in for a good while so their little brains grasped the concept this is where they had shelter and food.

If I got a new cat tomorrow and let it out, it would more than definitely just not come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sixtynine wrote: »
    Well the cat's out the bag now, isn't it :D

That's a purrfect way to sum the situation up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, the cat hardly knew them. He did not know his new surroundings, he had not had time to mark his territory.

I have 4 cats and they all know where home is. Then again I kept them in for a good while so their little brains grasped the concept this is where they had shelter and food.

If I got a new cat tomorrow and let it out, it would more than definitely just not come back.

Agreed.

When you get a new cat you shouldn't let them out at all for the first few weeks, and after that only gradually.

After I got my present cat, I started by letting her out in the back garden with me after a couple of weeks. The first thing she did was run back inside !!!

Letting her out the front door was a bigger gamble ~ although she could have climbed over the back garden fences, she never did while I was there. Only later.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, the cat hardly knew them. He did not know his new surroundings, he had not had time to mark his territory.I have 4 cats and they all know where home is. Then again I kept them in for a good while so their little brains grasped the concept this is where they had shelter and food.

According to the article the cat has been living at their home since Sept 2011...and vanished almost a year to the day later.

I was just thinking how much £6000 could have done for an animal charity in this country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the article the cat has been living at their home since Sept 2011...and vanished almost a year to the day later.

I was just thinking how much £6000 could have done for an animal charity in this country.

Ahh right. My local radios station interpreted it differently then.

To be honest I am soppy enough to do what they did, if I was rich enough:D