Forum Member
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVHkZ5HCcAAdUFH.jpg

Tomorrows Daily Heil.

Link to come..after 11pm embargo.

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as people only have to work the equivalent of minimum wage, then there shouldn't be a problem i.e. between 8 to 12 hours a week for most people.

If they're expected to work full time hours for JSA, then it's exploitation pure and simple.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be more sensible to just reduce unemployment rather than give people dole for doing work?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »

Why do you do these Harriett Harmen type links, can't you do proper links ?
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Agreed, I don't have a problem with it if it reflects JSA rates in the hours, i.e the 8 to 12 hours as stated by Biffo, but I have a problem with it if its full time hours.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    As long as people only have to work the equivalent of minimum wage, then there shouldn't be a problem i.e. between 8 to 12 hours a week for most people.

If they're expected to work full time hours for JSA, then it's exploitation pure and simple.

Exactly. It would also be helpful (although I appreciate not necessarily practical) if the work involved was somehow relevant to the person's job search if they had any qualifications.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So they can find the unemployed work to do for their dole but can't find them work to do for a wage.

Is this just a scam to get unemployment figures down :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Why do you do these Harriett Harmen type links, can't you do proper links ?

Yes I can, the article isn't up yet, so I don't have a link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member

I have a better idea. How about if the people at the job centre and the people at work programme providers such as A4E worked for the wages they are given. That may then help the unemployed get jobs. I can not remember the last time I was given a useful piece of information regarding a job opportunity from either the job centre or A4E.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many more people will be made redundant or let go and replaced with free, taxpayer subsidised labour then?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I can, the article isn't up yet, so I don't have a link.

So why couldn't you wait till it was up. Then people could read it and be better informed and there could be a more meaningful discussion
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434182/Now-work-benefits-Ministers-unveil-tough-crackdown-payments-jobless.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

More stupidity - it should be 8-12 hours but this is just to punish the unemployed for the WP's failings
    Hopefully tories won't get a second term
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johngs wrote: »
    I have a better idea. How about if the people at the job centre and the people at work programme providers such as A4E worked for the wages they are given. That may then help the unemployed get jobs. I can not remember the last time I was given a useful piece of information regarding a job opportunity from either the job centre or A4E.

They could sack them and give the unemployed their jobs, they'd probably be just as good if not better at it.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will be a 40 hour week for JSA, about 50p an hour, something like that.

One thing I wondered, are these people being offered jobs and deliberately turning them down / not making the effort etc., or are they not being offered any jobs and being punished because employers don't want to know? There is a difference.
    Forum Member
    So why couldn't you wait till it was up. Then people could read it and be better informed and there could be a more meaningful discussion

Link is now there below you man, calm down dear.
    Forum Member

One thing I wondered, are these people being offered jobs and deliberately turning them down / not making the effort etc., or are they not being offered any jobs and being punished because employers don't want to know? There is a difference.

There's not a difference to the job(sanction)centre as they'll use this scheme (if the tories get elected) against everyone no matter the reason why they aren't employed
    It's to punish people as opposed to being of any actual help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Knock the poor as usual. there are plenty people out there that would love to work but can't get a job. if they have no experience at the job interview they have been forced to attend by JSA and another 100 people for same job - its ridiculous.

This government may as well just bring the old workhouses back and exploit the poor jobless even more while these MP's and wealthy ppl reap the rewards of tax breaks etc.

Completely out of touch every single politician. no idea how the poor working class live.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not a difference to the job(sanction)centre as they'll use this scheme (if the tories get elected) against everyone no matter the reason why they aren't employed
    It's to punish people as opposed to being of any actual help

Don't you know, the unemployed "steal" from the the hard working majority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say there are probably more who are just not being offered jobs because employers don't want to know than there are people not making the effort. so I'd say it's the majority being punished for the minority.... as always.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there are jobs for people to do, pay them at least the minimum wage.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay them minimum wage and no problem.....
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's some information on the Mandatory Work Activity Programme which sounds like the blueprint for this new scheme. The difference I suppose is it will be more than four weeks.
    What is the Mandatory Work Activity Programme?

A 4 week work placement consisting of 30 hours week
    Helps those who have been out of work for a long time to build their work related skills

Each placement is with a local organisation whose work *benefits the community either directly or indirectly

What does it offer?

A work experience placement with a certificate upon completion
    A work reference
    A confidence & motivation boost
    Opportunities to improve your work related skills
    Where possible there will be a choice of placements; Admin, Manual and Retail
    All placements are health and safety assessed
    All candidates receive an induction & guidance

Customers will be required to participate in placements for up to 30 hours a week, for 4 weeks.

The nature of activities to be undertaken will need to accommodate any recognised restrictions a customer has, such as due to disability or a restriction on the hours a customer can participate. Jobcentre Plus will notify delivery organisations of such restriction, although this will not necessitate sharing a customer’s Jobseeker’s Agreement. Placements will not be sourced in areas of work where a CRB check is required.

Glad they are not making accountants dig roads.
    Forum Member
    With the constant demonisation of the unemployed is it any wonder ignorant employers won't give many a job? ?Yet it's ok to force the unemployed to labour for companies that won't give them a f/t or whatever hours job they seek
    Forum Member
    With the constant demonisation of the unemployed is it any wonder ignorant employers won't give many a job? ?Yet it's ok to force the unemployed to labour for companies that won't give them a f/t or whatever hours job they seek

At the end of it that poor person who's probably worked their ass off for no wage other than their JSA will get nothing out of it. A sure way for all these companies to exploit the jobless when they know they won't have to pay a minimum wage.

The time will come when these big firms will rid the staff they have in order to bring more jobless in to do same work but for nothing more than their dole.
    Forum Member
    Exploitation of the jobless is the new in when it comes to this government - or any other.

Liars the lot of em.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Workfare was an disaster that pretty much got pulled, how are they going to do this?