Actors/Actresses who were or still are typecast?

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the big fears of actors and actresses seems to be getting typecast. As a consequence, we often see them leaving major roles lest they get stuck in those kinds of parts forever. Some don't bother, and simply stay in the roles - others leave and find themselves unable to get other types of role anyway. Who do you think has been typecast? I'll go first:

Barbara Windsor. Not the most versatile actress in the world, but from youth to her current age, I don't think Ms Windsor has ever played anything other than the proverbial 'cockney sparra'.

Kelsey Grammer. He played Frasier Crane for over twenty years, and seems to have been (sadly) unsuccessful in getting different roles since.

Rachel Gurney. An old one here - Ms Gurney is most famous as Lady Marjorie Bellamy in Upstairs, Downstairs. She left because she feared getting typecast (and hated the character) but came to regret her decision. She didn't make too many appearances on TV after the show, and when she did it was the usual upper class types.

Comments

• Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That guy off Corrie that was on I'm A Celeb, Anthony Cotton. Does he have a varied acting C.V?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    That guy off Corrie that was on I'm A Celeb, Anthony Cotton. Does he have a varied acting C.V?

Oh, I can't stand that chap - and he's allegedly a pretty unpleasant person in real life. He's most certainly typecast, though.

Another one would be Ray Winstone. I don't think he can play anything other than a cockney gangster. Even his (appalling) turn as Henry VIII was more Phil Mitchell in period costume than renaissance monarch. He didn't even make any attempt at altering his standard East End accent, despite the fact that the rest of the cast playing nobles and royals spoke in RP.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Glenn Morshower
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Barlow;)
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelsey Grammer. He played Frasier Crane for over twenty years, and seems to have been (sadly) unsuccessful in getting different roles since.
    [/QUOTE]

Could not be more wrong. I agree he did struggle with a few comedies after Frasier ended, but just last year he won an Emmy for his role in the drama, Boss, playing the mayor of Chicago, who is diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disorder. As far away from Frasier as you can get (especially the violence and swearing lol !).
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Maggie Smith - forever the haughty disgruntled upper class duchess
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Nighy ! Same role every single time.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Thompson, who has played Casualty's charlie fairhead since day one, but i guess at his age, he isnt that concerned.

Probably on a nice wage, and gets all the time off he wants
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Collins, Stephanie Beacham ... in one corner

Julie Andrews, Doris Day ... in the other.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicole Kidman. No matter what role she plays she is always Nicole Kidman reading her lines - the only thing that changes is her hair and her clothes. Dreadful actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Stephen Lewis - Since playing Blakey of On The Buses, he used his similar manerisms in his other roles like Smiler of Last of the Summer Wine and Harry Lambert of Oh Doctor Beeching.

Joe Mantegna - Always playing mobster characters like Fat Tony of The Simpsons.

Frank Welker - Always does animal noises in various cartoons like The Simpsons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Could not be more wrong. I agree he did struggle with a few comedies after Frasier ended, but just last year he won an Emmy for his role in the drama, Boss, playing the mayor of Chicago, who is diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disorder. As far away from Frasier as you can get (especially the violence and swearing lol !).

I never saw 'Boss', but I understood it to have been cancelled fairly quickly. He *is* a good actor, but he just seems to not get accepted by the public in different roles - they just don't seem to work out successfully for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Ken Barlow;)

Did he ever play anyone else?

Reminds me of Adam Woodyatt (purely in terms of career ;))
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Maggie Smith - forever the haughty disgruntled upper class duchess

Absolutely not. I've seen her play a huge range of roles from the eccentric schoolteacher in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, to the feisty nurse in Death on the Nile, to the down to earth northern woman in A Private Function to the working class housekeeper in The Marigold Hotel (can't remember its full name!). with loads of varied roles inbetween them all. Extremely versatile actress.

Jennifer Aniston always seems to play kooky, flustered, types.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely not. I've seen her play a huge range of roles from the eccentric schoolteacher in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, to the feisty nurse in Death on the Nile, to the down to earth northern woman in A Private Function to the working class housekeeper in The Marigold Hotel (can't remember its full name!). with loads of varied roles inbetween them all. Extremely versatile actress.

And of course the elderly Scottish Hogwarts professor (McGonagall?). :)

Hugh Grant spent much of his career playing a flustered, middle class English fop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I never saw 'Boss', but I understood it to have been cancelled fairly quickly. He *is* a good actor, but he just seems to not get accepted by the public in different roles - they just don't seem to work out successfully for him.

Boss is excellent and ran for 2 seasons. Although cancelled I was happy that he finally got recognition for his acting outside of Frasier.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathy Burke always plays a fat ugly bird
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicole Kidman. No matter what role she plays she is always Nicole Kidman reading her lines - the only thing that changes is her hair and her clothes. Dreadful actress.

Couldn't disagree more

Have you not seen To Die For, The Hours, Rabbit hole, The Paperboy, Moulin Rouge, Stoker etc

They are all such different characters.

She is one of the few versatile actress of today, but fails to get any mention for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel Havers.

I would love to see him play a dustman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Nigel Havers.

I would love to see him play a dustman.

But then who would play slimy charmers of a certain age?! :D
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, but Adam Woodyatt isn't even the best at playing "Ian Beale" - he simply plays himself. At least Bill Roach has to tone himself down to play Ken.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bill Roache actually did quite a bit of work before Coronation Street. He had a minor role in the Norman Wisdom film The Bulldog Breed in 1960 plus a drama for Granada, Marking Time, and Biggles for ITV.He also appeared in a number of other series including Knight Errant, again for ITV. He is the world's longest serving TV soap actor having appeared in the first episode of Coronation Street.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clair King. Her Emmerdale and Bad Girls parts were similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - jim carey - plays himself in every role
    - ray winstone - plays himself in ever role
    - nicholas lyndhurst - I loved him as rodney in early only fools but then john sullivan ruined it by making him 'intelligent'. he became all serious and pointless. he's been playing the same character ever since in that time travelling guff and more recently new tricks
    - Denis waterman - played terry mcann all his life. wide boy lothario even though hes 210
    - Mike Reid - frank butcher was mike reid and mike reid was the only character he could play
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Dale spoke publicly about his struggle to get work after Neighbours. Eventually he did Ugly Betty and some other stuff of course.