Incorrect questions and answers on quiz shows

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Doesn't seem fair.

In a show like Pointless where there is a daily total & rollover you could have the chance of winning 10k.
    If you are cheated out of a correct anwer and after the you complain and they allow you another appearance you might only be playing for £500.

There was a couple of guys on pointless who didn't re-appear as planned on the next show after there was conflict over an answer, They did say the name of a city wrong and the other team said it right (In the head to head) but i think the fact they argued meant they didn't come back
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    OK - there were no Christian names. The family was lulli Caesares (Caesar was adopted as a title after Nero). If you were looking at names Augustus would be Octavian. Still I am not sure that's really three errors.

Octavian (Augustus), Tiberius and Gaius Julius (Caligula)
    The given names of the first three Roman Emperors were Gaius, Gaius and Tiberius respectively. They all shared the hereditary names Julius Caesar (the last two by adoption).

So that's three errors ("Christian" names, Julius and Augustus).
  • simoncrouchsimoncrouch Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Fifteen to One Celebrity has just informed us the Space Needle is in the CITY of Washington, Seattle will be most annoyed.
  • TreeboyTreeboy Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Fifteen to One Celebrity has just informed us the Space Needle is in the CITY of Washington, Seattle will be most annoyed.

The question was which state in the space needle in, Washington is correct
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    They tell you in studio if you disagree with a quiz answer not to say so there and then. Wonder how far it gets you.

What show's that for?
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of the ones I was on, Goldmaster back in 1996 and on those live Channel 5 shows, In the case of those with them being LIVE you can understand it more.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    There was a couple of guys on pointless who didn't re-appear as planned on the next show after there was conflict over an answer, They did say the name of a city wrong and the other team said it right (In the head to head) but i think the fact they argued meant they didn't come back

I remember that.I assumed they took umbrage but
    I would like to hear the facts if the guys read this forum
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to take this thread off topic but I was mentally scarred for life, maybe a slight exaggeration, by a incorrect judgment on an answer I gave in a spelling test at primary school and I need to get it off my chest.

Every week throughout the final year I was at the school the deputy head asked us to spell ten words. Spelling was one of my better subjects, if you can call it that, and I confidently wrote down h-a-r-b-o-u-r when asked to spell that word. It was marked incorrect as the deputy head said the correct spelling was h-a-r-b-o-r. I bravely went to see him after class, raised myself up to my full four foot six, and politely asked him to reconsider. He refused and it was the only mark I dropped in spelling for the entire year.

It's not as if he was from the USA. He was Welsh. Even if they spell it that way in Wales surely he knew there was an alternative spelling.

Apologies again for going off topic. Every now and then I need to unburden myself of this terrible injustice. :):):)

After you' d left, you should have had your parents send him a dictionary with harbour highlighted plus colour, flavour, honour, labour and any other u words you could think off plus a cover note with "Have a nice day" (since he obviously liked American so much) to finish off with!
  • seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The given names of the first three Roman Emperors were Gaius, Gaius and Tiberius respectively. They all shared the hereditary names Julius Caesar (the last two by adoption).

So that's three errors ("Christian" names, Julius and Augustus).

Julius Caesar was assassinated before he was made Emperor and Augustus was the first so that makes four errors.

Errors I can remember are:
    On WWTBAM a contestant was asked for Dr. Watson's first name and the options included James and John. In the Sherlock Holmes's books Watson is given the names James and also John in various stories so that was a badly researched question.

On Wipeout, Bob Monkhouse asked contestant to select which celebrities had been to University and Sting was listed as one who hadn't when he went to Warwick University (but left without doing a degree).

I also seem to remember a celebrity WWTBAM when David Seaman and Judith, who won a million on WWTBAM, were asked who composed "Night And Day". They went for Cole Porter which was ruled wrong when it was correct.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    One that really bugs me that I heard on The Chase and other shows is, what does the abbreviation kWh stand for? The answer given and accepted, is usually Kilowatts per hour when it should be, Kilowatt-hour.
    Don't get me started on Hailey's Comet questions. :kitty:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One that really bugs me that I heard on The Chase and other shows is, what does the abbreviation kWh stand for? The answer given and accepted, is usually Kilowatts per hour when it should be, Kilowatt-hour.
    How could they ever accept kilowatts per hour as correct? Apart from anything else, it's a total nonsense.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Treeboy wrote: »
    The question was which state in the space needle in, Washington is correct
    Yep, I was looking out for that one after reading the thread.

They also had an Elgin Marbles question for WGS :D
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While we're on the subject of mispronunciations, did you know that Sir George Everest, after whom the mountain was named, pronounced his name Eve-rest?
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    can always remember on The Weakest Link, they once had a question that went along the lines of "in the book, what is the name of the Swiss family marooned on an island?"

Of course the contestant gave the answer "Robinson", which was accepted as correct.

However, those of us in the know are aware that the name of the family is never actually mentioned, and that the full title of the book is actually "The Swiss Family Robinson Crusoe"
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Another wrong answer at the pub quiz last night, The question was in what year was Coronation Street first shown. I knew it was 1960. Answer given by the quizmaster was 1961.>:(

:D:D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    can always remember on The Weakest Link, they once had a question that went along the lines of "in the book, what is the name of the Swiss family marooned on an island?"

Of course the contestant gave the answer "Robinson", which was accepted as correct.

However, those of us in the know are aware that the name of the family is never actually mentioned, and that the full title of the book is actually "The Swiss Family Robinson Crusoe"

Really? I never knew that!
    Were further adaptations just called Swiss Family Robinson to avoid confusion with Robinson Crusoe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Really? I never knew that!
    Were further adaptations just called Swiss Family Robinson to avoid confusion with Robinson Crusoe?

The book was "Der Schweizerische Robinson" by Johann Wyss. It was one of many "Robinsonades" which drew from the Daniel Defoe original. There never was a "Crusoe" in the title, though the derivative was always clear.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »
    Another wrong answer at the pub quiz last night, The question was in what year was Coronation Street first shown. I knew it was 1960. Answer given by the quizmaster was 1961.>:(

:D:D

Maybe they grew up in one of the regions that didn't get it till 1961. But probably not - more likely sloppy research as you say :)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Maybe they grew up in one of the regions that didn't get it till 1961. But probably not - more likely sloppy research as you say :)

Just checked the TV listing for 9th December 1960 and it did seem to be shown in other ITV regions.

The first 13(?) episodes appear to have been classed a pilot so perhaps the question started out with something about when it was signed up as a regular series but it got trimmed down?
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    There was a boo-boo on one of this morning's Fifteen-to-Ones; the question was which monarch was the oldest to attend the throne, and the contestant was deemed correct for saying George IV when it was in fact William IV. There was an announcement over the end credits that the other contestant left would be asked back (shame Challenge's own voiceover played over it!)
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »

I remeber that too, one of the guys (who wasn't the one who actually said the answer) make a stroppy comment saying something like "surely it's a matter of pronunciation" so didn't come across that well.

I think the question concerned South American captial cities, the answer they submited was the captial of Suriname, which is Paramaribo. One the face of it a very good answer, however they pronounced it as something like 'Paramambo' so i think Pointless were quite right in not giving it to them. They were obviously pretty close and were thinking of the right city but it's still an incorrect answer nevertheless. It was made more awkaward by the other team giving the same answer too, but pronounced correctly so they were always going to have to give it to one or the other.
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't count, but on one episode of The Chase, Bradley Walsh named The Magnificent Seven's titular actors. He was correct, except for the late Eli Wallach.

Eli played the main baddie, Calvera the bandit. The seventh member was Chico, played by Horst Buchholz.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Similar thing but not TV, many pub quiz machines are programmed to give "wrong" correct answers. I was caught out once on the question "what was the name of the bear in the Jungle Book" The answer is of course Baloo buth the machine said that was an incorret answer.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »

I remember another Weekest Link show it was a soap special and Adam Woodyatt was asked "Which Shakespeare play features the line "double double toil and trouble fire burn and cauldron bubble".

He answered "The Scottish Play" and Anne said no Macbeth.

At the end she was being sarcastic to him on not knowing and he said. You know it's bad luck for actors to say the actual name.

Which is true if they say it they have to go Hot Potato Orchestra stalls puck will make amends. Then pinch their nose.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I remember another Weekest Link show it was a soap special and Adam Woodyatt was asked "Which Shakespeare play features the line "double double toil and trouble fire burn and cauldron bubble".

He answered "The Scottish Play" and Anne said no Macbeth.

At the end she was being sarcastic to him on not knowing and he said. You know it's bad luck for actors to say the actual name.

Which is true if they say it they have to go Hot Potato Orchestra stalls puck will make amends. Then pinch their nose.
    I'm surprised about that given that it must have been a celebrity special for charity.
    She should have asked if he knew the proper name

Also liking the Blackadder reference.