Options

26 and still trying to figure myself out/ make peace with myself

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just another night of doing too much thinking and it's just occurred to me that at 26 I should know myself and be happy with myself. This is the stuff teenagers think about and obsess about- not people in their mid 20s. I am nearly finished university and should be thinking about careers and finding a flat and settling down with someone and other 'adult' things not thinking about how to feel better about my looks and my situations and other things that I am not happy about. The fact that I have never had a partner also weighs heavily on my mind. How do people manage to find partner after partner after partner when I have trouble even finding one (not that I feel mentally ready to share myself with someone- it's still nice to imagine someone finding you attractive enough to be with you isn't it?)

I wish I could rewind and start all over again

How has this literally just occurred to me?

Just posting to see if anyone can relate and to help clear my head a bit

Comments

• Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsbury's cheese twists are so nice they should be illegal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another night of doing too much thinking and it's just occurred to me that at 26 I should know myself and be happy with myself. This is the stuff teenagers think about and obsess about- not people in their mid 20s. I am nearly finished university and should be thinking about careers and finding a flat and other 'adult' things not thinking about how to feel better about my looks and my situations and other things that I am not happy about.

I'm 29 and pretty much the same
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Maybe you're more selective and not prepared to just settle for the sake of it?

At the end of the day people are different.

Just because someone marries at 18 doesn't mean everyone will.

I'm near mid thirties never mind 26 and I'll probably never marry.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad. I'm 36 and still no idea who I am and what the hell I'm doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another night of doing too much thinking and it's just occurred to me that at 26 I should know myself and be happy with myself. This is the stuff teenagers think about and obsess about- not people in their mid 20s. I am nearly finished university and should be thinking about careers and finding a flat and settling down with someone and other 'adult' things not thinking about how to feel better about my looks and my situations and other things that I am not happy about. The fact that I have never had a partner also weighs heavily on my mind. How do people manage to find partner after partner after partner when I have trouble even finding one (not that I feel mentally ready to share myself with someone- it's still nice to imagine someone finding you attractive enough to be with you isn't it?)

Lots of people are opting to stay single these days, there is no law to say you have to be in a relationship.
    You say your just finishing Uni and your 26?
    Did you just decide to Uni as an afterthought or what made you wait? Are you studying something you enjoy, or something else.
    There's a big wide world out there, embrace it, you should be happy with yourself.
    Love will find you when the times right. Never wish your life away.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Personally, I used to get this feeling like I was wondering when I was going to "arrive", like I was going to reach some kind of checkpoint and then something new would happen. As if life was a game and when I reached a certain score I'd get to play a new level or something.

Life's not like that though.
    Cliched as it might be, it's a blank page and you can write whatever you want on it.
    Funny thing is, the very fact that you're thinking about this stuff actually puts you ahead of an awful lot of people, who just do their jobs, spend their money, deal with whatever is happening right now and never really think about whether they're really achieving anything.

While we're doing all the cliches, I really don't think the vast majority of people (and certainly not the ones you'd want to get into a relationship with) are interested in looks.
    What makes a person "attractive" is confidence and personality so, even if you might not realise it right now, your university education is going to be a benefit there so you probably haven't been wasting your time with it.

Might sound like "putting all your eggs in one basket" but I think that everybody should have something that they can be super-confident about.
    Maybe they're really good at their job or maybe they're really good at a hobby or maybe they have some other talent.
    Thing is, once you've got something that you're utterly confident about (however obscure it might be) it tends to give you confidence about other stuff in your life too, it gets easier to relax, enjoy yourself and that's when you find things start to come to you.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Personally, I used to get this feeling like I was wondering when I was going to "arrive", like I was going to reach some kind of checkpoint and then something new would happen. As if life was a game and when I reached a certain score I'd get to play a new level or something.

Life's not like that though.
    Cliched as it might be, it's a blank page and you can write whatever you want on it.
    Funny thing is, the very fact that you're thinking about this stuff actually puts you ahead of an awful lot of people, who just do their jobs, spend their money, deal with whatever is happening right now and never really think about whether they're really achieving anything.

While we're doing all the cliches, I really don't think the vast majority of people (and certainly not the ones you'd want to get into a relationship with) are interested in looks.
    What makes a person "attractive" is confidence and personality so, even if you might not realise it right now, your university education is going to be a benefit there so you probably haven't been wasting your time with it.

Might sound like "putting all your eggs in one basket" but I think that everybody should have something that they can be super-confident about.
    Maybe they're really good at their job or maybe they're really good at a hobby or maybe they have some other talent.
    Thing is, once you've got something that you're utterly confident about (however obscure it might be) it tends to give you confidence about other stuff in your life too, it gets easier to relax, enjoy yourself and that's when you find things start to come to you.

I like this post.

To the OP - I'm ion my 50s and still have periods of introspection. I sometimes think I'd like to go back and start again but that soon passes.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'm 27 (and a half) and am in the same position. There are times when I wish I could turn back the clock and do (or not do) certain things differently, so no, you're far from alone. I know a whole bunch of people in a similar position too. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    No one ever figures themself out. Ever. And if they say they do they are lying! I am the same as you but not as bad and am learning to apply the thought processes of living in the moment.

Good luck, remember that you are enough!
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm 32 and often feel the same as the OP, often thinking/worrying too much and I wonder what my place in the world is :confused: It's very hard to find peace with myself.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life just happens. It seldom turns out the way you expect it to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    himerus wrote: »

This this this. You are still young and have your whole life ahead of you. Enjoy every moment. Believe me it passes in a flash. Si's post was a good one.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    himerus wrote: »

Exactly. Someone mentioned cliches. Another one, life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. I apply that to a lot more than "making other plans". Don't think that everyone, to whom you are comparing yourself, has "found themselves". They certainly haven't. It's an on going, often life long process. You're nearly finished uni. This is naturally a time of uncertainty, even fear, reflection and change. Don't decimate yourself in this process.

Nothing you are thinking over is immature either. I think it's simply tainted and a bit self diminishing, by apprehension.

Have you enjoyed your course and where did you originally want to go with your degree?

A positive here about being single is you only have yourself to worry about and care for.. Less chance of accepting something for the sake of it!

Be kinder to yourself?:)
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One probably only "figures themselves out" when they are nearly at, or have arrived at, the deathbed.

Just go with the flow, and as said, just be happy to be you.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Keep the head up Captain, things always work out in the end - might take a different course then you want but at the end of the day it will . Keep a smile on your face and keep your head up.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Exactly. Someone mentioned cliches. Another one, life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. I apply that to a lot more than "making other plans". Don't think that everyone, to whom you are comparing yourself, has "found themselves". They certainly haven't. It's an on going, often life long process. You're nearly finished uni. This is naturally a time of uncertainty, even fear, reflection and change. Don't decimate yourself in this process.

Nothing you are thinking over is immature either. I think it's simply tainted and a bit self diminishing, by apprehension.

Have you enjoyed your course and where did you originally want to go with your degree?

A positive here about being single is you only have yourself to worry about and care for.. Less chance of accepting something for the sake of it!

Be kinder to yourself?:)

The bolded part is a favourite John Lennon quote of mine :)
    I'm trying to be kinder to myself too and not feel guilty about what I choose/do, or listen to what other people say so much that might upset me.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I'm 30 - happily married with one child and one on the way and I still feel like this all the time!!
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

No they dont, they are to bust having fun for new age nonsense
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 34 and still don't have a handle on my life. I know what I need to do, but I the circumstances of my life prohibit it....
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to be kinder to myself too and not feel guilty about what I choose/do, or listen to what other people say so much that might upset me.

It was a quote written by a man named Allen Saunders way back in the 50s

In 1957, Saunders wrote the line, "Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans," usually attributed to John Lennon
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd concentrate on the practicalities, like your future career, and think less about your looks.

What matters most in life is your health and money, the latter hopefully from a job. If you obsess too much about looks and partners, you will not succeed at your career, as you will be distracted, and your health will suffer because you are miserable.

As far as partners, you are often better off without one. I really wouldn't worry about not getting one. Over the years I've found they are a drain on your time, money, emotions and health.

Good luck.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's making it up as they go along. No-one knows anything.

My only advice would be this: don't take anyone's advice, because when they give it to you they're really just talking to themselves and you can only know what they're really talking about by experiencing it yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'd concentrate on the practicalities, like your future career, and think less about your looks.

What matters most in life is your health and money, the latter hopefully from a job. If you obsess too much about looks and partners, you will not succeed at your career, as you will be distracted, and your health will suffer because you are miserable.

As far as partners, you are often better off without one. I really wouldn't worry about not getting one. Over the years I've found they are a drain on your time, money, emotions and health.

Good luck.

BIB. Lets be fair?:o

The scale is anywhere from that negativity to happiness and a friend for life.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Good for you. If anyone upsets you to that extent they certainly don't care about you.
    Sod them all! :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    BIB. Lets be fair?:o

The scale is anywhere from that negativity to happiness and a friend for life.:)

If he sticks with my version he won't worry so much about not having one ;-)