Has anyone been to Dublin before?

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
HI all. I'm going to Dublin next week and just wonder if anyone has been to Dublin to Dublin before? if YES WHAT is the city like? is it cheap? Plus what is there to do in Dublin? is THERE ANY great things to do? Any musts? What is the best think to do in Dublin? Thanks....:):):)

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went round the Jamesons distillery, which started with a few samples to distinguish bourbon from Irish. I'm pretty sure we went round the rest of the place afterwards but I don't remember much.

Also went to the theatre, hit a fair few pubs and clothes shops and stayed down in Killiney, which I would really recommend. Beautiful country and you can take the Dart train up into Dublin. Alternatively, just take a trip out on it for the scenery. That would be a 'must' if you like amazing views.

It was a flying visit but a great one. The people are lovely, of course.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    HI all. I'm going to Dublin next week and just wonder if anyone has been to Dublin to Dublin before? if YES WHAT is the city like? is it cheap? Plus what is there to do in Dublin? is THERE ANY great things to do? Any musts? What is the best think to do in Dublin? Thanks....:):):)

One of my favorite places in the world.. A good way to get a potted history and an overview of the city is to get a sightseeing bus ticket. IIRC they are about 16 Euro, there are about 15 - 20 stops, you can get off when you want and then jump on again when you want - they turn up every 1/2 hr or so. You'll get commentary as you go along and then you can get off and go to places like the Guinness brewery, wander round and jump on a bus again and carry on..

Nightlife wise, some locals will say avoid Temple Bar 'cos it's full of stag & hens etc but I found it charming, worth spending an hour or so there, you'll find live music in most of the bars. Depends on how long you are going for and what you like to do - but make a bit of an itinerary, there is something for everyone. Try and get to the coast in South Dub - it's completely stunning..
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the people like to insult N.Ireland people so I stay clear of it, haven't been in 8 years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few threads in Advice. Here is one.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1661115&highlight=dublin
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, I've just seen an ad on More 4 about Trivago, and it mentioned Dublin. :)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the people like to insult N.Ireland people so I stay clear of it, haven't been in 8 years

The people ? All one million of us . No we dont all actually

Op . The best way to see Dublin is to take the Hop on Hop off bus and let yourself be guided and shown the city
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    The people ? All one million of us . No we dont all actually

Op . The best way to see Dublin is to take the Hop on Hop off bus and let yourself be guided and shown the city

How does the bus system in Dublin compare to London? :confused:
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does the bus system in Dublin compare to London? :confused:

Not sd good I am afraid . But we have a tram system . The Luas. . And a train that goes all along the coast of Dublin Bay , The Dart . A great way for tourists to get to Malahide or to Dun Laoire for a walk on the prom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Not sd good I am afraid . But we have a tram system . The Luas. . And a train that goes all along the coast of Dublin Bay , The Dart . A great way for tourists to get to Malahide or to Dun Laoire for a walk on the prom

Ah well, never mind. Chances are I would still enjoy Dublin immensely nonetheless. :)
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dublin is ridiculously expensive. it has good PR if you ask me
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dublin is ridiculously expensive. it has good PR if you ask me

I remember thinking when €1 was equal to £1 that people going to Dublin for stag/hen dos must have some money as booze there costs a fortune!! In the supermarkets it is expensive enough, but the bars...!!

Of course the exchange is a bit better now, but the prices are still higher than here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I remember thinking when €1 was equal to £1 that people going to Dublin for stag/hen dos must have some money as booze there costs a fortune!! In the supermarkets it is expensive enough, but the bars...!!

Of course the exchange is a bit better now, but the prices are still higher than here
    I thought prices for most things were cheaper than here? :confused:
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full of non Irish people the last time I was there..

More cosmopolitan than you'd think, architecturally dull, Art Noveau/Deco passed Ireland by I think. Clean, Vibrant and youthful. Lovely place.

If you drive from the UK, the Garda have a habit of doing sudden random checks on single and dual carraigeways, so take your UK driving licence [ BOTH parts ] and proof of Insurance.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No way. Ireland is bloody expensive. Lol.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you live in London, you won't see much difference between London and Dublin, pricewise.

Anyone who lives outside either place finds both them a bit steep, depending on where they live. For instance if you live in a place where you are used to playing two quid for a pint in your local, going to London or Dublin is a serious smack in the wallet.
    If you live in Edinburgh or Manchester, then London and Dublin don't come as quite so much of a shock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ooh no!

Shops that have branches in the Irish Republic as well as here often have the same price label with both prices showing. Next time you're in say TopMan or Burtons for instance, check out the price for Ireland compared to the UK. It's always higher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    No way. Ireland is bloody expensive. Lol.

Then why are they well known for cheap fuel? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol.
    Where do you get your info? It's slightly more expensive than our rip off prices. http://www.pumps.ie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If you live in London, you won't see much difference between London and Dublin, pricewise.

Anyone who lives outside either place finds both them a bit steep, depending on where they live. For instance if you live in a place where you are used to playing two quid for a pint in your local, going to London or Dublin is a serious smack in the wallet.
    If you live in Edinburgh or Manchester, then London and Dublin don't come as quite so much of a shock.

I have to disagree with this. I am from London and everything was more expensive in Dublin when I visited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol.
    Where do you get your info? It's slightly more expensive than our rip off prices. http://www.pumps.ie

Just looked up that site. A litre of unleaded at an Esso in Dun Laoghaire is listed as being €1,589 a litre.

That works out at the current exchange rate (of £1 = €1.20) as £1.32 a litre.

Not shockingly bad, but not cheaper!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked up that site. A litre of unleaded at an Esso in Dun Laoghaire is listed as being €1,589 a litre.

That works out at the current exchange rate (of £1 = €1.20) as £1.32 a litre.

Not shockingly bad, but not cheaper!!

I'm just intrigued to know how anyone could think Ireland has cheap petrol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just intrigued to know how anyone could think Ireland has cheap petrol.

Perhaps it was cheaper years ago? I think Ireland increased various duties and VAT not so long ago. It has never had a reputation of being a cheap place for Brits to shop though, like say France had.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree with this. I am from London and everything was more expensive in Dublin when I visited.

Fair enough. :)
    I know I can't speak for everyone who lives in London especially seeing as I can't know where each of them comes from and where each of them went to in Dublin
    However, if you as a London person thought it was expensive, someone from anywhere outside of London would have found it much more expensive than you - that was my point.
    What anyone thinks of as expensive is a function of the prices they are used to paying, where they live.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have family about 40 miles outside of Dublin and visit regularly. It's well worth a visit, beautiful country with good food, culture, friendly etc. However I can't think of anything at all which is cheaper than England. I don't know how ordinary families manage. House prices despite a drop are still eye wateringly high compared to here with many people trapped in negative equity. The Celtic Tiger bubble has burst and I really feel for them.
    Lovely for a holiday though! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was cheaper years ago? I think Ireland increased various duties and VAT not so long ago. It has never had a reputation of being a cheap place for Brits to shop though, like say France had.

I think it's a bit of a myth that everything is more expensive here in the UK though. Wine and cigs might be cheaper in say France but things like Electrical goods, clothing, mobile phones etc are cheaper here than in the Eurozone.