Engelbert Humperdinck to represent the UK

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Donovan says he was invited to be the entrant by the BBC, and the Mail and Telegraph are reporting a backlash against Engelbert by the public.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Idea how much Italy and France pay?

Somewhere between Spain and us. £240,000 I think around that for both. Bosnia is around 16,000 Euro and their one of the smallest if not the smallest.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    ...and the Mail and Telegraph are reporting a backlash against Engelbert by the public.

Both of which are anti-BBC papers, and I'd suggest that the complainants belong to the "we'll never win, everybody hates us" brigade and can't see the bigger picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I'm probably a bit late posting this now, but initially I was shocked by the choice of Engelbert but now I feel really patriotic! If the songs a good one then I think we may do quite well! :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Both of which are anti-BBC papers, and I'd suggest that the complainants belong to the "we'll never win, everybody hates us" brigade and can't see the bigger picture.

You think most members of the public are happy at the thought of a bizarre looking 76 year old, many of whom have never heard of this man with the gimmick name, representing the UK?

It speaks volumes that yet again, for what is supposed to be a SONG contest, the song itself seems to be an afterthought. Instead of trying to make a splash in the tabloids the BBC should have commissioned their songwriters last year in time to put the song before the public where they could have chosen from, say, half a dozen singers singing that song. EH could’ve been a part of that but a combination of some qualified professionals and public votes should have selected the best singer of that song from the six singers.

The only reason I can see for doing it the way they have is so the BBC can ensure they don’t have to stage the contest next year.

We’ll go down in flames, mark my words.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    You think most members of the public are happy at the thought of a bizarre looking 76 year old, many of whom have never heard of this man with the gimmick name, representing the UK?

It speaks volumes that yet again, for what is supposed to be a SONG contest, the song itself seems to be an afterthought. Instead of trying to make a splash in the tabloids the BBC should have commissioned their songwriters last year in time to put the song before the public where they could have chosen from, say, half a dozen singers singing that song. EH could’ve been a part of that but a combination of some qualified professionals and public votes should have selected the best singer of that song from the six singers.

The only reason I can see for doing it the way they have is so the BBC can ensure they don’t have to stage the contest next year.

We’ll go down in flames, mark my words.

the end is nigh...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    To all the people that say we shouldnt be part of it because we don't win have a very school child attitude.

First and foremost we don't have a god given right to win.

Second we don't win because of the acts we "The BBC" put forward, An act representing the United Kingdom should be chosen by the majority of the United Kingdom (Not a dozen people in a room who think they know what "we" want).

Next the Issue of Commentary during the Eurovision. I Don't want dull, predictable commentary i want to be entertained.
    Al Murray would be a clever choice considering his style of pro England, however the BBC are never one to risk offending anybody so we're stuck with Norton.

I don't buy into political voting it is an issue but not i think more people tend to jump on the bandwagon and use that as a reason for us failing to win. Each country/region has its styles of music. For instance something we like they might hate and vice versa.

Point B is complete tosh - Would that be the same British public that thought Jemini and Josh Dubovie [amongst others] had the talent to win the thing?
    Having said that, I don't think the 'Hump' is a particularly inspired choice. I asked around 25 people at work (mostly male aged 20 to late 40s], if they had heard of him and could they name any of his hits. Just over half had heard of him and only 4 could name a song of his. The 25 included 4 Eastern Europeans.
  • thomizzlethomizzle Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say "Josh Dubovie" but it wasn't really his fault that the BBC chose Waterman to provide the song that "Josh Dubovie" (who could have been anyone) had to sing...

I don't actually remember the selection of Jemini, just the fact it was in the contest and they were terrible live! If they weren't terrible live, we may have not finished last to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the crowds of people whinging about the Hump's age now doing the same about Russia's grandparents?
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the crowds of people whinging about the Hump's age now doing the same about Russia's grandparents?

Some are doing the same will they be dead by then jokes elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Hump isn't a novelty act (as far as we know)...
  • GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldnt do any worse could he. At least he was an actual real star
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

I don't think most members of the public care one way or the other, either about EH or the Contest itself.

It really just affects a handful of uber-fans with a hang up about older men.
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Edit : Ignore
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think most members of the public care one way or the other, either about EH or the Contest itself.

It really just affects a handful of uber-fans with a hang up about older men.

Nigh on ten million UK citizens care enough to tune in on the night so your tiresomely jaundiced view of the contest is at odds with the facts. In addition, the amount of coverage this has received in the press would also indicate the GBP do give a toss one way or the other - Papers don’t maintain and increase their circulation by devoting pages to subjects which their readership has absolutely no interest at all in.

Could you be more wrong?!?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Terry Telly wrote regarding Val Doonican: I see that Val has a website - and a good one too (link below)...If Val does not have any current plans to perform it would be nice if the BBC could broadcast again the Val Doonican Show which ran for over twenty years from 1965. RTÉ might show it too.
    Eurostar wrote: According to the website, Terry, he retired from singing three years ago and divides his time between England and Spain these days (and is a keen golfer).

It is a shame he is no longer singing. If he were going on tour I would have liked to attend one of his concerts.
    Eurostar wrote: His Saturday night TV show on BBC1 was a big success.....twenty years is a long time to have your own show.

Yes - I bet the audiences were huge. I think that the BBC should broadcast Val's shows again and ask him if he might do an introduction before the start of the first one.

I have not, so far, been able to find any DVD discs of the BBC Val Doonican Show on sale on the internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame he is no longer singing. If he were going on tour I would have liked to attend one of his concerts.

Yes - I bet the audiences were huge. I think that the BBC should broadcast Val's shows again and ask him if he might do an introduction before the start of the first one.

I have not, so far, been able to find any DVD discs of the BBC Val Doonican Show on sale on the internet.

He's probably right to put his feet up. At 85, he certainly doesn't need the money and probably thinks gigs would be too much hassle at this stage when he could be taking things nice and easy.

The interesting thing about him is success came relatively late....it wasn't until he was in his mid thirties that he became known and started having hit singles.
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote regarding Val Doonican: He's probably right to put his feet up.

Of course, I agree. Val deserves a happy retirement after all his hard work.

He is one of the most famous Irish people and I hope that the programmes he was in will be shown again here in the UK, in Ireland and elsewhere.

Congratulations on your 29,000th posting to this forum Eurostar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, I agree. Val deserves a happy retirement after all his hard work.

He is one of the most famous Irish people and I hope that the programmes he was in will be shown again here in the UK, in Ireland and elsewhere.

Congratulations on your 29,000th posting to this forum Eurostar.

Thanks Terry....I feel like a Digital Spy veteran at this stage :)
    Forum Member
    Terry Telly wrote: Congratulations on your 29,000th posting to this forum Eurostar.
    Eurostar wrote: Thanks Terry....I feel like a Digital Spy veteran at this stage :)...

I have calculated that you have posted on average about once every three hours here over the last ten years. Your commitment to participating in this forum is clear, Eurostar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have calculated that you have posted on average about once every three hours here over the last ten years. Your commitment to participating in this forum is clear.

Mainly because I have spread my postings around a lot of the different forums on DS, and haven't confined myself to one topic :)
    Forum Member
    t would be interesting to read your view of what this forum was like when you joined it in November 2002, Eurostar, and what changes, if any, you think that there have been here since then. I expect that the Digital Spy forum might be busier now than then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be interesting to read your view of what this forum was like when you joined it in November 2002 and what changes, if any, you think that there have been here since then. I expect that the Digital Spy forum might be busier now than then.

It was very similar in style back then Terry. I would say the main difference is it has become much more popular and busier as you say, with the growth of the internet and the rise and rise of reality TV.
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It was very similar in style back then Terry. I would say the main difference is it has become much more popular and busier as you say, with the growth of the internet and the rise and rise of reality TV.

29000 is fantastic. Congratulations :)

You must be one of the longest serving on here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    29000 is fantastic. Congratulations :)

You must be one of the longest serving on here?

I've seen much higher totals Mike, people on 40k and 50k posts and who joined DS much more recently than me :)

But in terms of years, I must be, yes. I'm not even sure when DS forums started....must have been 2000 or 2001 or something.