Options

HDD upgrade

whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone done this here? Does anyone have up to date info on what drives actually work in the HDR-T2? I presume it will be 2TB max due to GTP. If i already have a drive that i've used for other stuff, such as from a RAID/NAS can it just replace the Humax drive and it formats/partitions itself?

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have up to date info on what drives actually work in the HDR-T2? I presume it will be 2TB max due to GTP. If i already have a drive that i've used for other stuff, such as from a RAID/NAS can it just replace the Humax drive and it formats/partitions itself?
    It is best practice to use a drive designed for PVR usage although others will work they may give slightly stuttery play back from time to time. If you already have the drive you wouldn't lose much by trying it. The HDR will (I think) format drives up to 1TB but there are plenty of reports of people using 2TB. See http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog for a pretty comprehensive description of the process of formatting a 2TB drive. I am interested to hear how you get on as the drive in our HDR is reallocating sectors at a slightly worrying rate and I am likely to have to do something about it in the next few months,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, cheers for the link. I've done it. So far successfully and alot easier than even using fdisk.

I couldn't use the disk in my NAS, it was bloody 3GB and i'm not wasting a GB of it. So i've found an old disk in my PC long unplugged that had showed smart errors, but a lot healthier than the dead one in humax. Its a full height sized 3.5" HDD, but it still fits in the enclosure. The latest custom firmware has just formatted the entire 2GB of the disc :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what i've copied about my drive from the webportal

Model Family: SAMSUNG SpinPoint F4 EG (AFT)
    Device Model: SAMSUNG HD204UI

Thats easier than a photo :).

If you've custom firmware installed, you dont have to reflash from a usb stick, but you do have to reinstall the webportal, i guess it lives on the HDD.