Options

What's so special about Michael Buble?

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I am hoping he releases a best of at some point. I can't warm to a whole album by him and only ever like about 5/6 tracks from each album.

Would anyone buy a blank CD though? :D
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's sew cute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sells because he's unthreatening, has a decent voice, a lot of promotion and sings Christmas songs that everyone knows which some people like. He now makes Westlife look artistic :yawn:
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't like when he is being attacked for recording Christmas songs - this is his first Christmas album, it is not like he has done 10 of them. Besides, I'm sure his management team decided to re-release that album and he is not the first one to do it since this has become very popular these days - Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce did that with their own albums.

Buble worked very hard to get where he is today - he started when he was 16, singing in pubs and clubs. In 1996 he recorded an album on his own called Dream and it is by sheer luck that he sang on a wedding that producer David Foster attended in 2000. Buble was very persistent to get a record deal so Foster finally agreed after a while to sign him.

I'm not saying he is the most talented or credible artist, but it is not fair he gets dissed just because he sings covers. Who cares... he is an amazing singer and a great entertainer.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I was channel surfing earlier and saw his ITV2 Christmas special. I watched a few minutes of it and thought he wasn't that good a singer really. What is all the fuss about him though? I don't think he's anything special really.

Hormonal overweight middle aged mums probably like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Again with the stereotypes. I'm 24 and I'm not hormonal or overweight:D My brothers also like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Maybe :p I always used to think he appealed to the types who buy maybe 1 or 2 CDs a year from Tesco, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a few spot on posts here already so I will just add that this guy lisps and it freaking drives me nuts. Unoriginal, sure. Bland, yep. But lisping? Is it endearing to some? And not everyone hears it. How can you not? What producer listened to this and let it slide?

This is the original version. It's not a spoof or an SNL skit.
    Michael Buble I've Got the World on a String.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUIyYrH_5yM
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    releasing his Christmas album every year does not a career in music make:p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nope. I heard one of his Christmas songs on VH1 and I had to turn it off. It was dreadful. All the personality of a tin of paint.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno what's so special. I'm not even convinced he can sing a note in tune considering every song I've heard of his sounds pitch corrected to the max. He actually sounds robotic sometimes. Not really my cup of tea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    buble is supercalifragilisticexpialidociously awesome what a voice
  • Options
    BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Dunno what's so special. I'm not even convinced he can sing a note in tune considering every song I've heard of his sounds pitch corrected to the max. He actually sounds robotic sometimes. Not really my cup of tea.

I really think you need to get your ears syringed.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah, I like him too. He has a really nice voice :)
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't....but maybe you do. :)Auto-Tuned to hell here.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on man, I like Michael but even I can see he used Autotune, he doesn't need ti though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9U9TTlcxs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, that performance was definitely auto-tuned.

But c'mon, I don't know how can anyone listen to this and say he can't sing or that he uses auto-tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJ0BR99I4g
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood why he was so popular or winning awards.
  • Options
    molyeshamolyesha Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    He reminds me of Eoin McLove (which no doubt was supposed to be Daniel O'Donnell) from Father Ted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molyesha wrote: »
    He reminds me of Eoin McLove (which no doubt was supposed to be Daniel O'Donnell) from Father Ted!

I don't see the appeal of Daniel O'Donnell either, but that's for another thread. I think mum likes Daniel O'Donnell though as she has a couple of his CDs and a DVD. Must watch the Father Ted spoof for some entertainment :D
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. His assessment was fairly accurate.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am afraid I just don't like his music.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is the biggest selling male artist this century, with 3 grammys. I doubt releasing a Christmas album every year would generate that. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    He is the biggest selling male artist this century, with 3 grammys. I doubt releasing a Christmas album every year would generate that. ;)

Exactly! And again, he released his 1st Christmas album last year, he didn't do 100 of them - and the fact he re-released it, everybody does that these days so why can't he?
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Exactly! And again, he released his 1st Christmas album last year, he didn't do 100 of them - and the fact he re-released it, everybody does that these days so why can't he?

I think it's because the music isn't even his to begin with. He took old Christmas songs and sang them. Sold a shet load. Put it out again (is it even repackaged?). Just reeks of a guy who walked into the studio one day, cut an album of covers, and skated on it for two years. It's pretty damn funny to me.

Edit: You get an ornament with his re-released Christmas album this year. Nice! :rolleyes: Every Grandma in town's gonna snap that up. That's quite the sellout. Lol.