Cybermen redesign pics

13»

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the tweaked paradigm daleks in Asylum nebo, the Supreme has had work done, with a straighter back, no "fins" either which enhance the look and improve it IMO.

Oh. I hadn't noticed the tweaks. Will look out for them when I rewatch. But that really must be the last nail in the coffin for the forum members who so angrily criticised people who didn't like the new design. Gatiss, who wrote the Victory script said he thought they were flawed, Moffat quickly said something about bringing the old ones back, said something about needing to rest them for series six, he then did bring thousands of the old ones back in Asylum, put the new design in the background and , thanks for the reminder Davros, even tweaked the look of the new ones. (I am not holding my breath for an apology from members who insulted critics with their mingmong and similar comments.)

I don't think Moffat could have done better. The new design weren't a success. He dealt with it. Although I do wonder why nobody else in management pointed out they looked shit? Emporers new clothes type thing?

I bet if they didn't have that hump thing they'd have pulled it off. On the other hand, RTD's 2005 redesign was something of a classic. Difficult to beat.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    nyingy wrote: »
    Of course, it's the scripts that matter most: the look is relatively inconsequential. However, with that said,I'm a little disappointed the redesign isn't more radical.

I think Cybermen that draw more heavily on the design used in The Tenth Planet might provide potential for some proper scares. There's something genuinely creepy about the original Cybermen!

nyingy

Too young to have seen Tenth Planet but I remember seeing them the first time as a full page photo in the Doctor Who magazine (or was it Weekly back then?) . The cloth faces were horrifying. Much closer to gothic ideas of The Mummy and medical procedures and Frankenstein.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the look of the new cybermen! They look streamlined, more athletic, less "clunky", altogether a better design.

My mother (in her 60s) keeps referring to cybermen as "Metal Mickey". With the previous clunky design, I'm inclined to agree with her.

This new design looks as though it could run after you! :eek: