Options

One Direction sales - not actually that huge?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like their next single is going to be huge.

Tweenies are going nuts over the video teaser.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like their next single is going to be huge.

Tweenies are going nuts over the video teaser.

... not just the tweenies...:o:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    mm83 wrote: »
    ...and this is still the case for most acts. The only exceptions might be boy bands, and Justin Bieber types that have fan bases made up mostly of rabid teenage girls.

I don't think it's limited to teen sensations. What about Gotye? STIUTK was a viral phenomenon before it became a hit on US radio. Same with Psy. Where would he be without social media? Gangnam Style isn't even that big of a radio hit but it's still selling like hot cakes - as we speak, top 10 on iTunes but nowhere to be seen on Hot 100 airplay.

Social media is the new 'radio' and the sooner that's officially recognised, the better. US radio programmers have far too much power IMO.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people should be glad that they have more power than they used to thanks to social medias. They can discover people on youtube, purchase many more artists on Itunes. They don't have to rely on the radio (which filters for them).
    1D gets radio plays now, but they did not at first in the US and have the social media to thank for their breakthrough at first.
    I'm not saying it's going to work for every deserving artist, but people could see the good side of this. If they loathe 1D's music, they have a choice to find something else they will like better.