Microsofts promise of 4k gaming with scorpio

jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
Forum Member
I can't help but feel this is a lie and like Sonys promise of 1080p, gaming.

For starters no one seems to talking about the near impossibility. At the moment even my gtx 1080 ( 669 pounds) can just handle 4k gaming.

How the hell has AMD suddenly managed to make an,APU powerfull enough for 4k gaming when the current high end cards are not even able to play 4k with a decent fps and without sacrificing other graphical settings.

Remember quantum break? And amazing game don't get don't get me wrong, remember how they insisted it was 1080p, even though Df. Proofed them wrong? All,the way throughout developerment they promised 1080p and yet 720p was the end result.

For last decade or so many developers and Sony Ms have promised 1080p gaming some are starting to act on this promise, however theirs still many games to this day coming out without native 1080p.

So what makes you think 4k will be any different than the 1080p promise of the last decade?

Now I'm not saying you couldn't get few indie,games running at 4k but does anyone here think you playing gears,of,war 4. BF1 cod IW in 4k on the scorpio?

Comments

• Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis

Have a read of this. Like they say - maybe, maybe we will see proper 4k - or it will be upscaling.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the new titan x isn't doing that well @ $1200:o

Far cry max - 55fps
    Rise of the tomb raider - 54
    Witcher 3 max details but no hw - 60

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256763

Titan x - 11 teraflops v scorpio 6 teraflops.
  • clippaclippa Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Nobody cares about 4k. Console game developers should be aiming for 1080p, 60fps. That's what that extra power should be used for, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was just wasted on unnecessary graphical frills as usual.

A 4k resolution will be possible, sure, but with demanding AAA titles you'd have to make so many sacrifices elsewhere that it just wouldn't be worth it at all.

As jjesso says, even the beefiest pc's are having trouble with 4k at decent framerates.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on. Xbox boss Phil Spencer has specifically NOT promised 4K gaming from Scorpio. He has openly said there is no 4K mandate.

Yes, it's 4K capable. But it's clear that developers are free to use the power available to them in whichever way they choose. Some devs will choose 4K resolutions. Others will focus on higher frame rates or better effects instead.

Anyone expecting every Scorpio game to run at 2160p/60 is setting themselves up for disappointment.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Hang on. Xbox boss Phil Spencer has specifically NOT promised 4K gaming from Scorpio. He has openly said there is no 4K mandate.

Yes, it's 4K capable. But it's clear that developers are free to use the power available to them in whichever way they choose. Some devs will choose 4K resolutions. Others will focus on higher frame rates or better effects instead.

Anyone expecting every Scorpio game to run at 2160p/60 is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Thats not what the announcement implied though. '' true fully uncompressed 4k gaming ''
    . Yes someone techonoly knowledgeable would no straight away BS. However the average gamer will thinkimg next summer I playing 4k games.

Yes he said it was not mandate however he still not address the fact its mostly impossible.

There is no doubt 4k will be their big push to get people buying even though we both know it won't cabable of it natively. What are they going to do a launch when they've got no 4k games ? Do a quantum break and say yeah yeah gears is 4k to DF get their hands on it.

just don't see why Its become common in this industry to make unrealistic promises.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really that bothered with 4K gaming, 1080p is fine. As somebody else has said producing a console that could guarantee a smooth and solid 60fps at 1080p in any kind of game would be far more beneficial.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we will see 1080p+ resolutions whether it be 1440p or higher i still think higher frame rate is the way to go first
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I'm not really that bothered with 4K gaming, 1080p is fine. As somebody else has said producing a console that could guarantee a smooth and solid 60fps at 1080p in any kind of game would be far more beneficial.

I agree, fps before res every time for me.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give me 60 fps at 1080p before bothering with 4K please. Fed up with sub 30 fps on so-called 'next generation' consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Thats not what the announcement implied though. '' true fully uncompressed 4k gaming ''
    . Yes someone techonoly knowledgeable would no straight away BS. However the average gamer will thinkimg next summer I playing 4k games.

Yes he said it was not mandate however he still not address the fact its mostly impossible.

There is no doubt 4k will be their big push to get people buying even though we both know it won't cabable of it natively. What are they going to do a launch when they've got no 4k games ? Do a quantum break and say yeah yeah gears is 4k to DF get their hands on it.

just don't see why Its become common in this industry to make unrealistic promises.

Yeah, the E3 announcement itself was the usual hyperbolic PR bullshit MS usually spins. They see how much they can get away with, being as vague as possible, before finally coming clean after being called out by gamers, where the Xbox fanboys can lavish praise on "honest Phil" who just proved he's one of us. In reality, it was little more than an attempt to steal thunder from PS Neo and PSVR, both of which threaten to extend PlayStation's lead even further over the next 12 - 15 months.

But, at no point did they say all games would be in 4K. So as sneaky as it may seem, from a legal standpoint, I can't see that they've done anything wrong. From a moral point of view, however, I agree with you.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the E3 announcement itself was the usual hyperbolic PR bullshit MS usually spins. They see how much they can get away with, being as vague as possible, before finally coming clean after being called out by gamers, where the Xbox fanboys can lavish praise on "honest Phil" who just proved he's one of us. In reality, it was little more than an attempt to steal thunder from PS Neo and PSVR, both of which threaten to extend PlayStation's lead even further over the next 12 - 15 months.

But, at no point did they say all games would be in 4K. So as sneaky as it may seem, from a legal standpoint, I can't see that they've done anything wrong. From a moral point of view, however, I agree with you.

Oh no certainly would not go as far as saying companies misleading its illegal or out :)

I just think that the comments in this thread speak wonders. I mean MS have clearly got a beast of a machine compared to neo. I do think a better stragey would of been focus on the 1080@60fps having that as core focus at sensible goal that could possibilty of been mandated, rather than try push somthing that no ones really ready for and something not technically achievable just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Oh no certainly would not go as far as saying companies misleading its illegal or out :)

I just think that the comments in this thread speak wonders. I mean MS have clearly got a beast of a machine compared to neo. I do think a better stragey would of been focus on the 1080@60fps having that as core focus at sensible goal that could possibilty of been mandated, rather than try push somthing that no ones really ready for and something not technically achievable just yet.

I think part of their problem is they don't know what they're actually trying to sell. (Or perhaps won't admit what they're trying to sell.)

As a console, Scorpio feels like too much of a jump for an incremental model. But at the same time, it's not enough of a jump to be truely next-gen. (Or if it is, MS are too scared to admit they are abandoning Xbox One so soon). So they're stuck in some sort of cross-gen No Man's Land, trying to drum up support for their next console, but without anything concrete to back it up.

Whereas PlayStation have openly said Neo is just another PS4, that happens to make games look prettier. Take it or leave it.

Timing is crucial, and I think MS have got it all wrong. Their hand has been forced and they're just not ready for it. Drawing parallels with previous generations, they are in a similar position to that of Dreamcast, Wii U and Xbox 360. I don't fancy their chances.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and a mate were discussing this just yesterday and the conversation just got all weird, the subject eventually turned to the PS4 vs Xbox One, and the infamous GTA V grass comparisons from digital foundry. :D So after some time we decided, that video alone was the reason for Microsofts decision to go ahead with the Scorpio :D it's because the Xbox One can't do grass !!

All very tongue in cheek stuff, but I just can't take any of this seriously anymore, we have Nintendo on the verge of releasing a console that is less powerful than the PS4, we got Sony bringing on the halfway house PS4 NEO and MS trying to bring the 'nearly' 4k dream to peoples living rooms. I mean, who actually cares? Obviously all this is the stuff wet dreams are made of over at comparison websites like the aforementioned DF, but look at the forums these days, they're dead. Nobody gives a shit :D I sure don't, I was more excited about the Windows 10 anniversary update than any upcoming console hardware.

So will project Scorpio bring 4k, I doubt it.
    Will console gaming ever hit 100% 60fps at 'any' resolution, I doubt it.
    Will Sony wow everybody with the PS5, most likely.
    Will Nintendo have another flop on their hands, it's bloody possible.
    Am a cynical old bastard, yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of their problem is they don't know what they're actually trying to sell. (Or perhaps won't admit what they're trying to sell.)

As a console, Scorpio feels like too much of a jump for an incremental model. But at the same time, it's not enough of a jump to be truely next-gen. (Or if it is, MS are too scared to admit they are abandoning Xbox One so soon). So they're stuck in some sort of cross-gen No Man's Land, trying to drum up support for their next console, but without anything concrete to back it up.

Whereas PlayStation have openly said Neo is just another PS4, that happens to make games look prettier. Take it or leave it.

Timing is crucial, and I think MS have got it all wrong. Their hand has been forced and they're just not ready for it. Drawing parallels with previous generations, they are in a similar position to that of Dreamcast, Wii U and Xbox 360. I don't fancy their chances.

I agree with everything you said apart from putting the Xbox360 alongside Dreamcast and Wii U. The 360 was a great console, and very successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with everything you said apart from putting the Xbox360 alongside Dreamcast and Wii U. The 360 was a great console, and very successful.

I didn't mean to sound negative about Xbox 360. It was indeed a great machine that did good numbers. I included It for 2 reasons.

It was partially a conceit to show that being in that position can still work. I'm effectively giving Scorpio a 33% chance of being Xbox's comeback console.

Perhaps controversially, I believe that as successful as Xbox 360 was, it should have done much better. PS3, with its botched launch should have handed Xbox 360 the generation title on a plate. It was late, bloated, stupidly expensive, and had both inferior multi-plats and online service. But somehow, it still managed to draw level with Xbox 360 by the end of generation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the end of the generation PS3 had drawn level yeah, but I'd argue for most of last gen 360 was the lead console for developers, and for many gamer's it was their main console. The PS3 also got some great exclusives, such as The Last Of Us, towards the end of the gen which would have boosted sales numbers. I still don't think it could be compared to failures such as Dreamcast and Wii U.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the end of the generation PS3 had drawn level yeah, but I'd argue for most of last gen 360 was the lead console for developers, and for many gamer's it was their main console. The PS3 also got some great exclusives, such as The Last Of Us, towards the end of the gen which would have boosted sales numbers. I still don't think it could be compared to failures such as Dreamcast and Wii U.

Honestly, I didn't mean to paint Xbox 360 as a failure. I just wanted to highlight the historical challenges of coming into market from that position, and how such challenges are likely to affect Scorpio. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, fair enough. :)
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

I think the lack of exclusives and investment in exclusives is probably one of the biggest mistakes that Microsoft made with the 360 and hopefully they have realised this and are now well on there way to fixing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I think the lack of exclusives and investment in exclusives is probably one of the biggest mistakes that Microsoft made with the 360 and hopefully they have realised this and are now well on there way to fixing it.

There's Scalebiund, ReCore and Sea Of Thieves which are all new. Crackdown is being resurrected after a long break. Otherwise it's Halo, Gears and Forza on repeat. Can't think what else there is that's significant.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    There's Scalebiund, ReCore and Sea Of Thieves which are all new. Crackdown is being resurrected after a long break. Otherwise it's Halo, Gears and Forza on repeat. Can't think what else there is that's significant.

I know they are developing some very interesting exclusives now especially Scalebound, Recore and See Of Theives and I just hope it's not to little to late.
    I more wanted to say I got the feeling with the 360 apart from the big 3 of Halo, Forza & GOW they pretty much deserted exclusive content apart from what they seemed to get for being the dominant format and being over arrogant for that generation, that when Xbox One launched they didn't have these exclusives exclusives available to call on to help.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they had better have some more exclusives in the works to show off the scorpio because if im going to drop close £500 on a console it better blow me away