American Idol - Season 13 - UK Pace (NO SPOILERS)

1235»

Comments

• DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I watched yesterday's programme, but did not really know what to make of it. There were so few acts that I thought were any good at all - the standard seemed much lower than before. Of course I may have been put off by the songs, as there were few, if any, that I recognised. I appreciate that I am much too old for these shows now, but have usually found enjoyment from them.

I will watch the next few episodes probably, but if the standard doesn't pick up may give up on it.

When the series first started I thought the panel was OK, but it was not good last night. There was too much praise for poor performances although Harry was prepared to complain that singers were not singing in tune.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Well, I watched yesterday's programme, but did not really know what to make of it. There were so few acts that I thought were any good at all - the standard seemed much lower than before. Of course I may have been put off by the songs, as there were few, if any, that I recognised. I appreciate that I am much too old for these shows now, but have usually found enjoyment from them.

I will watch the next few episodes probably, but if the standard doesn't pick up may give up on it.

When the series first started I thought the panel was OK, but it was not good last night. There was too much praise for poor performances although Harry was prepared to complain that singers were not singing in tune.
    Yeah, neither of the first two shows were great. I've never been a fan of episodes where they basically give the contestants a free choice of song. I've got a pretty good (not great) knowledge of contemporary US music, and I probably only knew half of the 13 songs in Monday's episode.

To be fair, the first 3-4 episodes of every finals series are generally appalling as contestants find their feet and the weakest ones are gradually weeded out (or not, in the case of Sanjaya, who seemed to hang on forever). But I do agree there's a lot of chaff this year - too many singers who are OK technically but can't "sing the song" and come across as soulless and robotic). There are only really two or three who come across as credible artists.

It's to be expected, I guess. Even in a country as large as the US, and with other shows such as The Voice now overtaking it, there's only so far the talent pool will stretch.

I also agree about the judges. Harry isn't afraid to provide honest critique. Keith is a little soft, but he will sometimes provide criticism in a soft way. J-Lo is just Paula Abdul Mark II - she has her clear favourites and rarely tears a strip off anyone (although you know you're in trouble when she opens up with a comment about how great a contestant looks). For all the pantomime and the me-me-me that came with him, the show really misses Cowell.

I'll stick with it even though I know who won the series, but there's no real sign of the show getting back to its heyday.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    The expression "WTF" may never have been more appropriate than to the way Channel 5 have treated this programme! Seriously, this is absurd.

I have been watching American Idol for over ten years now. It has been my favourite TV show for some time and whenever January came I always used to get really excited knowing a new series of Idol was on its way.

Well this year was no different. I had actually pretty much stopped watching TV shows over the last couple of years—but not Idol—that was the one show I didn't ever want to miss. So after a long delay, Channel 5 finally started showing it… and then stopped! :o I thought that was crazy enough.

But then… several months later, I get more episodes of American Idol popping up on my PVR!? Presumably most of us already saw the winner several weeks ago, having already figured that Channel 5 scrapped the show.

Just who exactly are they showing these episodes for? What is the point? A hiatus is ridiculous and it was totally unprecedented and unannounced.

But you know something, I am actually grateful to Channel 5, because this was kind of the last TV show I cared about, and I didn't think I could cope without my annual tradition of watching Idol. But they have actually done me a favour, because now I see that I can live without it just fine, and in addition I was seriously not liking the new format anyway :) So Channel 5 have helped me to "quit" my habit. :)
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    I've just noticed that 5* have started showing the rest off the season from Monday with double repeats on weekdays at 1 & 4pm!
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have eventually caught up with the series and seen the final. I was pleased that Caleb won, but see that his single has not done very well in the charts. Perhaps this will be the last series after all?

I was often at variance to the great American public and Jena was a long way down my list of potential finalists.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I have eventually caught up with the series and seen the final. I was pleased that Caleb won, but see that his single has not done very well in the charts. Perhaps this will be the last series after all?

I was often at variance to the great American public and Jena was a long way down my list of potential finalists.

Jessica was my favourite, gutted she didn't make top 3, but Caleb was my second choice so I wasn't unhappy with the result.