Star Wars is in a right mess

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Well if you actually knew anything about Star Wars then you'd know that George Lucas had always envisaged Star Wars to have 3 stories that would be over 3 trilogies of 9 episodes and maybe a few more odd films to bring it up to 12.

Even when I was a kid - when Lucas first started claiming the above in public - I thought it was a load of old bollox, and time has not changed my view. Lucas hit gold with the first two films and wanted to continue the franchise, it's that simple. Whilst a writer may start a novel in the middle, or even a stand-alone film/tv series, planning and executing a nine-film series in such a manner is incomprehensible. Particularly if you then wait 17 years between parts 6 and 1 in order for technology to be able to 'realise your vision'...
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Then you interpreted it wrong then, It wasn't normal for Jedi to marry or have kids, Anakin was the first and broke the rules.
    Obi-Wan said this during the reveal of Lukes twin sister "To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remained safely anonymous."
    That was how the old Jedi order wanted things, but in the new Jedi order that Luke starts he actually marries Mara Jade and they have a son called Ben.

Why did I interpret it wrong? From 1983 to 1999 there was no official film canon to contradict me. It was only with the release of Phantom Menace did this issue of "attachment" start to become established.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He was. Essentially they were trying to convince him that his training was more important than his emotional attachment to his fiends. They also wanted him to let go of that attachment because they knew Vader would try to manipulate him. And then in RotJ they tried to convince Luke to let go of his feelings for his father because they knew the Emperor would try to use those feelings to his advantage.

It all hints at what we saw in the prequels, that the Jedi viewed attachment as vulnerability. They believed that with attachment comes fear of loss, and fear leads to anger, anger leads to...you know the rest.

Obi-Wan's actual words weren't for him to let go of his feelings, but that they "do him credit" and that he should "bury them deep down" so he doesn't expose himself to Vader's mind games.

I agree that one of Darth Vader's tactics is to try and manipulate Luke, but that is, to my knowledge, to wind him up and get him to bubble over, thus starting him "...down the Dark Path"

Even Obi-Wan "loved" Anakin like a brother, so there was contradiction in this idea even amongst the prequels.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Even when I was a kid - when Lucas first started claiming the above in public - I thought it was a load of old bollox, and time has not changed my view. Lucas hit gold with the first two films and wanted to continue the franchise, it's that simple. Whilst a writer may start a novel in the middle, or even a stand-alone film/tv series, planning and executing a nine-film series in such a manner is incomprehensible. Particularly if you then wait 17 years between parts 6 and 1 in order for technology to be able to 'realise your vision'...
    It did all sound very pipe dream, admittedly. But you have to remember that the strategic, heavily demographed, forward-planning franchise mentality studios have now wasn't quite at the same level back then. If at all.

And no-one knew Star Wars was going to be such a hit either - hence its standalone aspect.

Legend has it Fox opened it in just 36 theatres. But from such acorns....
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Obi-Wan's actual words weren't for him to let go of his feelings, but that they "do him credit" and that he should "bury them deep down" so he doesn't expose himself to Vader's mind games.

It's not that the Jedi didn't have feelings, or were forbidden to have them. They were trained from an early age to manage their feelings. To never allow themselves to be overwhelmed by them. With regards to Luke's feelings for his friends, I chose the wrong words when I wrote "let go", he did say to "bury" his feelings "deep "down"; and that actually confirms that it hints at Jedi disapproval at outward emotional attachments.

The "feelings doing him credit" is an merely acknowledgement of his noble intentions.
    Even Obi-Wan "loved" Anakin like a brother, so there was contradiction in this idea even amongst the prequels.

Obi Wan loved him as a brother, but it didn't stop him from cutting him down when he had to. Like I said, it's not that they didn't have feelings, the were trained to not be overwhelmed by them. Despite loving him as a brother he had to stop Anakin, and he did...although it could be argued he failed because he should have really finished him off but didn't (couldn't?)

In The Clone Wars
    Obi Wan has feelings for a woman but never allows himself to be lead by those feelings, not even when Darth Maul kills her.