Can anyone help me with Nokia 6230?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just bought one from a friend. I can use bluetooth to send photos from the phone to my laptop, and also to a printer. I have learnt this in a few days, having had not the faintest idea of any of this before.

I cannot, however, do it in reverse, ie, I want to send MP3s from my pc to the phone's memory card.

I have looked through all the help files on the bluetooth and the phone cds, and can't find out what I'm doing wrong. I need it in plain, simple, step by step language, I am very wound up right now, having been trying for nearly four hours to sort this thing out! I am now going out to get away from it.

I get error message - no phone is connected - well it must be else how else would the stuff transfer the other way???? :mad:

Anybody please, before I go insane.

:eek:

Comments

• anapanap Posts: 6,925
    Forum Member
    Have you installed Nokia PC Suite on your PC?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anap wrote:
    Have you installed Nokia PC Suite on your PC?

Yes! And I've scrolled and clicked my way through reams of stuff that I don't understand. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To transfer a file at a time, all I do is right click the file I want to send to the laptop, click on Send To, and select Bluetooth Device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Embrace wrote:
    To transfer a file at a time, all I do is right click the file I want to send to the laptop, click on Send To, and select Bluetooth Device.
    Well that's the theory yep, and how my friend told me to do it, but when I try, I get a dialog box up which says :

Select where you want to send the file.

Send the file to the computer or device below or click Browse to choose a different computer or device

Use a passkey to ensure you are sending the file to the correct device

Box to tick for passkey

So what do I do with this information?

I've just tried again, and got

Transfer was unsuccessful, no device connected. Make sure your bluetooth radio device is connected and try again.

I already have the blue icon in the tool bar showing saying it is connected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have got this :

Windows cannot find any Bluetooth devices. Make sure that your Bluetooth radio is attached to your computer and is turned on, and that your Bluetooth device is turned on. Follow the setup instructions that came with the device, and then click Search Again.

The bluetooth function is switched on my phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i never had much luck in sending mp3s to mine either (althogh other bt stuff was usually ok) a bit jit and miss.
    i always use mem card reader now as its much quicker
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    I also have got this :

Windows cannot find any Bluetooth devices. Make sure that your Bluetooth radio is attached to your computer and is turned on, and that your Bluetooth device is turned on. Follow the setup instructions that came with the device, and then click Search Again.

The bluetooth function is switched on my phone.

Do you have the disk to re-install your Bluetooth Device? If so, do this...

1) Remove your Bluetooth device from your laptop
    2) Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel
    3) Go to add/remove Programs
    4) Remove the Bluetooth software from your laptop
    5) Insert your disk and re-install the Bluetooth software, making sure you have plugged your Bluetooth adaptor back in
    6) When it is complete and installed, don't try to access the Bluetooth yet. Re-start your laptop
    7) Turn your laptop back on and go to Start > My Computer
    8) Click on My Bluetooth Places and you should now have a setup box - follow this to install your phone again. A box will come up asking what you want to be able to do with your Bluetooth, e.g 'Obex File Transfer' and stuff. Tick all the boxes.
    9) It should be fine now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Embrace wrote:
    Do you have the disk to re-install your Bluetooth Device? If so, do this...

1) Remove your Bluetooth device from your laptop
    2) Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel
    3) Go to add/remove Programs
    4) Remove the Bluetooth software from your laptop
    5) Insert your disk and re-install the Bluetooth software, making sure you have plugged your Bluetooth adaptor back in
    6) When it is complete and installed, don't try to access the Bluetooth yet. Re-start your laptop
    7) Turn your laptop back on and go to Start > My Computer
    8) Click on My Bluetooth Places and you should now have a setup box - follow this to install your phone again. A box will come up asking what you want to be able to do with your Bluetooth, e.g 'Obex File Transfer' and stuff. Tick all the boxes.
    9) It should be fine now.

Thanks, I've now done everything on the list as far as (7)

Start>My Computer - where will I then find My Bluetooth Places? Ive searched through program files, and its not there.

A box has come up automatically on my screen now, without clicking anything, but there is nothing on it that is called My Bluetooth places, and I cant find any set up box to instal a phone. There is an option called Add New Device, which then brings up a box asking for the address of the bluetooth device and it has 00:00:00:00:00 and it needs something filling in. Is this the right thing, and where do I then find this info? This is complicated beyond belief. I wish I'd stuck to using my MP3 player now, downloaded 50 music tracks using a usb cable in about 20 minutes without any bother whatsoever. Bloody bluetooth seems to be a pain in the bum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    Thanks, I've now done everything on the list as far as (7)

Start>My Computer - where will I then find My Bluetooth Places? Ive searched through program files, and its not there.

A box has come up automatically on my screen now, without clicking anything, but there is nothing on it that is called My Bluetooth places, and I cant find any set up box to instal a phone. There is an option called Add New Device, which then brings up a box asking for the address of the bluetooth device and it has 00:00:00:00:00 and it needs something filling in. Is this the right thing, and where do I then find this info? This is complicated beyond belief. I wish I'd stuck to using my MP3 player now, downloaded 50 music tracks using a usb cable in about 20 minutes without any bother whatsoever. Bloody bluetooth seems to be a pain in the bum.

I really don't understand :( I set my bluetooth up using the method I mentioned above and it worked fine :confused: 'My Bluetooth Places' is in My Computer. You double click that and it should continue setup process and say something like 'press next to install a bluetooth device' i.e. your phone. You just follow that and tick all the boxes.

I hope you get it working, I'm really sorry I can't help more but it should work.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a data cable its more reliable then bluetooth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IGNORE ME. I'm wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    IGNORE ME. I'm wrong.

Bugger. I have been checking this thread for the past few days and thought someone else had come up with an answer when this was on the top.

I have still got nowhere. I am going to my friends who I bought the phone from this week to see if she can work out what's happening. We think it may be the bluetooth device, we are going to instal her Belkin one to see if that solves it. If not, as Ryan has suggested, I will buy a cable. Much simpler! (and cheaper too)

When I go to My Computer, the Bluetooth device is not listed. The Nokia phone is though, so something is not installing properly by the looks of things. Bloody cheap chinese crap. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, the Belkin bluetooth adaptor will have it's own software, unlike most.

So that should work.

Try and avoid the cheap ones, they generally come with a piece of software called 'Bluesoliel', it's awful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you added your phone to your list of bluetooth devices on your PC.

Alot of people find it difficult to send files from PC to phone using bluetooth, but once you have sussed it, it is easy.

Go to control panel and select bluetooth. Search for you device, connect it. then go to the file right click and select send to.. bluetooth. Pick your phone up and accept the transfer.

Bob's your uncle fannys your aunt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    ....... they generally come with a piece of software called 'Bluesoliel', it's awful!

OMG! Say no more. That's exactly it. I've still been uninstalling and re-installing till I'm bluesolielled in the face! :eek:

I shall bin it I think and go out now and buy something decent from a shop.

Thanks. You live and learn. As I said already, I had no idea what these little devices were or did this time last week. When it's something I don't know whether it will be a five minute wonder with me, I tend to always go for the cheapest option - and often find that it was the wrong decision, and end up spending more and wasting money on the original heap of crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pillsburyb wrote:
    Have you added your phone to your list of bluetooth devices on your PC.

Alot of people find it difficult to send files from PC to phone using bluetooth, but once you have sussed it, it is easy.

Go to control panel and select bluetooth. Search for you device, connect it. then go to the file right click and select send to.. bluetooth. Pick your phone up and accept the transfer.

Bob's your uncle fannys your aunt.

Thanks, I'm still trying. Ok, so I've got to control panel, clicked Bluetooth and I get a box up with 4 tabs, Devices, Options, Com Ports, Hardware

Devices is empty. When I click Add, I get a wizard, tick the box that says My Blue tooth device is on etc ....and then following this along, I then get a search and this message:

"Windows cannot find any Bluetooth devices. Make sure that your Bluetooth radio is attached to your computer and is turned on, and that your Bluetooth device is turned on. Follow the setup instructions that came with the device, and then click Search Again."

At this point, I smash my head against the wall, as I am saying this in my sleep. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another update on this, not that anyone cares. :cry:

I decided to buy a Belkin Bluetooth usb dongle. My friend uses this make and has no problems whatsoever sending things from her laptop to her Nokia phone.

Uninstalled the other chinese jobby with the Bluesoleil software. Installed the Belkin following the lovely, clear concise intructions to the letter, and was most impressed. Thought wow this is more like it. Everything seemed fine.

Not only will the Belkin still not connect to the phone, despite it showing connection being made, and still getting the error message Windows cannot find any Bluetooth devices, etc. as above, but even worse than the chinese model, I can't even send anything from the phone to the PC with it. I have come to the sad conclusion therefore that there is something wrong with my laptop setup which is blocking it. I have even turned off the firewall, the anti virus and every other thing incase that was causing it, and still no good. I wish I had never set eyes on the bloody phone I really do. I already have high blood pressure, I bet it's even higher now.

I have trawled round 5 mobile phone shops today, they have cables, varying in price from £25-£35 for my phone, but what if I buy one and it still won't work?

Looks like I will have to either forget using the phone as an mp3 player or go to a computer shop and see if they will set it up for me at a price of course. Oh and of course, I haven't even bothered to mention the trouble I've had with the 512 memory card, which will only register 80mb.......

(I need a "I want to kill myself" smiley.)
    :(
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit.

Have a read of this forum seems other people have had the same problem, there might be a solution here :)

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic24132.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edit.

Have a read of this forum seems other people have had the same problem, there might be a solution here :)

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic24132.html

Wow, thanks so much for that. I've had a quick read through, but shall look more carefully tomorrow when I have a clear head at a couple of the suggestions. :)

It kinda helps to know that its not me then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, here's the next tale of woe. Having looked at the forum suggested by strawberry66, I tried the fix that someone had mentioned on there. It didn't work. I didn't get anything like the dialogue boxes up that he said will pop up.

So today, I went to an Orange mobile phone shop and bought the correct Nokia Data Transfer cable for £25. I was so sick of messing about.

I installed all the software properly. And guess what? It doesn't work either. The guy in the shop said bring it back for a refund if it doesn't so that's not a problem, except the 14 mile each way journey. All I got was Connection Failed message. My pc showed the cable being installed, but the phone made no acknowledgement of it at all.

If I click on say Images on the phone and click send to it only gives three options, by InfraRed, by Multimedia or by Bluetooth. No mention of cable, so how would it send anything anyway? :confused:

So now I don't know if its my laptop at fault or the phone. This morning, my laptop completely froze up I couldn't click anything. I lost my broadband connection too, the mouse wouldn't work, you name it, it went wrong. I uninstalled Nokia phone suite and the bluetooth device, and everything worked again.

Please can anyone suggest something :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    Okay, here's the next tale of woe. Having looked at the forum suggested by strawberry66, I tried the fix that someone had mentioned on there. It didn't work. I didn't get anything like the dialogue boxes up that he said will pop up.

So today, I went to an Orange mobile phone shop and bought the correct Nokia Data Transfer cable for £25. I was so sick of messing about.

I installed all the software properly. And guess what? It doesn't work either. The guy in the shop said bring it back for a refund if it doesn't so that's not a problem, except the 14 mile each way journey. All I got was Connection Failed message. My pc showed the cable being installed, but the phone made no acknowledgement of it at all.

If I click on say Images on the phone and click send to it only gives three options, by InfraRed, by Multimedia or by Bluetooth. No mention of cable, so how would it send anything anyway? :confused:

So now I don't know if its my laptop at fault or the phone. This morning, my laptop completely froze up I couldn't click anything. I lost my broadband connection too, the mouse wouldn't work, you name it, it went wrong. I uninstalled Nokia phone suite and the bluetooth device, and everything worked again.

Please can anyone suggest something :cry:

From what you have mentioned, it looks like it's yourself that's not using the equipment correctly. To send things from your phone to your computer you don't go to for example Images, Send and choose an option in there - to copy your images to your computer you need to connect the cable and then go into the nokia pc suite on the laptop and your can view your images, music etc there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well, I can't help being old and stupid. It's way too complicated for me. I recently bought a tiny MP3 player from Currys. £17.99. You plug it into the USB port on the laptop, you click your music track, and it goes across to the device in a nano-second. What could be simpler, faster and more efficient? Mobile phones are so complicated, all those boxes and software to instal, it's a joke! :eek:

Anyway, problem solved now. I can do it with a card reader also in a nano-second, saved all that hassle, expense and pissing about. It cost me £1.99 from ebay and I've had it ages. Just wish I'd thought of it before, could have saved myself a lot of grief and expense this week

Thanks to everyone who has come up with ideas though. Guess me and bluetooth just don't get along. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Embrace wrote:
    From what you have mentioned, it looks like it's yourself that's not using the equipment correctly. To send things from your phone to your computer you don't go to for example Images, Send and choose an option in there - to copy your images to your computer you need to connect the cable and then go into the nokia pc suite on the laptop and your can view your images, music etc there.

Oh btw, I didn't have a problem with copying images to my computer. That worked fine with the bluetooth. It was copying images or files or MP3s from my computer to the phone that was the problem. Just wouldn't happen.