Options

Quick iPhone 4s Q.

rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello Folks,
A mate of mine lost her 4s. It was reported lost and replaced by vodafone. Then 6 months later her fella found it hidden down the back of some furniture in the house.

Now we've done a bit of a deal whereby if I can get it working I'll buy it from her.

In it's current state it's an iPod Touch. When we put her SIM in it we get 'No Service' where the signal strength should be.

I've tried a restore but does this phone need unlocking or anything? Basically, I'm on Voda too but I don't want to buy it from her if it's been bricked...what are the symptoms of a bricked phone? What will I need to do to get it going?

TIA, Rob.

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like it's been blocked by Vodafone, due to being lost.

I suppose your friend could tell Vodafone that she had found it, and ask for it to be unblocked...Of course Vodafone may then ask for money to cover the cost of the no-longer necessary replacement ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Sounds like it's been blocked by Vodafone, due to being lost.

I suppose your friend could tell Vodafone that she had found it, and ask for it to be unblocked...Of course Vodafone may then ask for money to cover the cost of the no-longer necessary replacement ;)

That's what I was thinking...would an unlock fix it Matt?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it. The phone's IMEI itself will have been blocked by the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again that's kinda what I thought...thanks again Matt. It's a shame because she's offered it me at a very knock down price...rats!!
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And (for obvious reasons) it's against UK law to change the IMEI number.

It could be worth your while your friend saying she's found her iPhone again and see what they say?
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you contact Vodafone and tell them the old handset has been found, they'll almost certainly ask for it back.

As part of the replacement process, the old handset legally becomes their property and they're not just going to give that up.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    This is why you should have "Find my iPhone"

:D