Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

Comments

• jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    By Heck!!! Is that a new actor playing Dr Turner or is it a new Dr - I cannot remember? and more importantly what is a "McGann" doing in an acting role? They are all pretty bad when it comes to acting?

No, same actor, same doctor - although now I'm dreading a romance between him and Sr Bernadette.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh how wonderful for you! 8lb 10oz - I bet she felt that! My second daughter was 8lb 12oz, and I certainly knew I was having her! She went straight into 0-3 month clothes, the newborn ones I'd saved from daughter number 1 were too small so I gave them away to another mum!

Glad all went well.

ETA - and still baby-related, so not entirely out of place on this thead :p:)

Thanks very much...I am a doting grandma!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much...I am a doting grandma!

The best sort!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, at the end of the first series.

Oh I remember now. God my brain is crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I remember now. God my brain is crap.

I did have a head start watching the box set this afternoon, so don't worry about your brain!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did have a head start watching the box set this afternoon, so don't worry about your brain!

Thanks for reminding me, I thought they were being scandalous :D:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the boyfriend that jenny had - he was not seen at all and I am wondering if he has been written out?
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was brilliant - perfect programme for christmas day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the boyfriend that jenny had - he was not seen at all and I am wondering if he has been written out?

Jenny never really thought of Jimmy as her boyfriend - the last couple of episodes of series one explained it a bit more, the fact that she'd been in love with a married, older man (mentioned in episode one - Jenny says no other man will stand a chance unless or until she can get the older man out of her heart and head) and so Jimmy made a dignified retreat towards the end of series one, although he plainly adored Jenny.

However, he is back in the trailer just now for series 2, so maybe Jenny and Jimmy pick things up again.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gone now. He was only in the book for a short while.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else pick up on vibes between the doctor and Sister Bernadette? I thought I sensed an attraction from her. That will cause problems if it what it seemed like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else pick up on vibes between the doctor and Sister Bernadette? I thought I sensed an attraction from her. That will cause problems if it what it seemed like.

Yes, it was my very first comment about the episode tonight, way back a couple of pages on the thread! But no one else commented on it or responded, so I thought it was just me. Glad to know it wasn't. They've also hinted there will be an unexpected pregnancy in the next series within Nonnatus House, so I wonder now if it'll be Sr Bernadette, and not Chummy as I was first suspecting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Gone now. He was only in the book for a short while.

In the interview they did with the cast and producers last week in the paper they said that they've now exhausted all the good stories from the books, so now it's going to be more 'based on' the memoirs of Jennifer Worth (more midwives of the era have been writing in with their stories, so they have lots to go on!) which means Jimmy can be brought back now as an extension beyond the stories themselves. As appears to be the case going by him being in the trailer for Series 2 with Jenny!
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was my very first comment about the episode tonight, way back a couple of pages on the thread! But no one else commented on it or responded, so I thought it was just me. Glad to know it wasn't. They've also hinted there will be an unexpected pregnancy in the next series within Nonnatus House, so I wonder now if it'll be Sr Bernadette, and not Chummy as I was first suspecting.

I doubt the pregnancy will be Bernadette, but I do think they intend to continue with the doctor storyline. It felt like set up scenes in this episode. Him talking about being a widower, and the way Bernadette was smiling and looking at him. I think this storyline will be a dramatic one through the series, I just wonder if she will end up abandoning her vows for him.

The pregnancy could be Chummy or it could be one of the other three girls.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    When Chummy was talking about her nativity play she mentioned 'Tiny Tears wrapped in a blanket' - or something along those lines. She mentioned Tiny Tears anyway, which wasn't introduced into Britain until 1963.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    When Chummy was talking about her nativity play she mentioned 'Tiny Tears wrapped in a blanket' - or something along those lines. She mentioned Tiny Tears anyway, which wasn't introduced into Britain until 1963.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's not 1957 anymore (unless stated in the show otherwise).
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's not 1957 anymore (unless stated in the show otherwise).

I don't think much time has passed because this was her first Christmas there - she mentioned it a couple of times so it's definitely the same year.

ETA - I used to watch Pinky and Perky when I was young. That brought back some memories :D
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Christmas special, was in two minds whether to watch or not as the Mrs Jenkins story in the book was the most harrowing thing I have ever read. Luckily for me and other viewers they left some details out. :(
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable episode last night there is i see a hint of a romance maybe one side for the young Nun and the Doctor looking forward to see how that develops. I remember the story of the old lady who lost all her children in the workhouse in the book it was very sad. Can't wait for the second series and glad to see Chummys back as i wasn't sure she was in the second series.:)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    In the book Jennifer Worth said she met Jimmy years and years later coming out of a DIY store with a bossy wife and he looked very hen pecked and not at all like the dashing young man she remembered.
  • ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good Christmas programme, with a happy ending, just what we need, tired of gloomy endings in programmes! Glad Chummy is back, I like her character. Looking forward to the new series, when does it start?
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Christmas special, was in two minds whether to watch or not as the Mrs Jenkins story in the book was the most harrowing thing I have ever read. Luckily for me and other viewers they left some details out. :(

I've not read the book, but even what we saw played on my mind for some time afterwards. I kept thinking about how she'd been forced to give all those years of her life and all her children up to the workhouse in exchange for... a sewing machine. How utterly heartbreaking.

I can never seem to forget that it's all 'real', even when I have a suspicion that they're deviating a bit from Jennifer Worth's actual memoirs. Watching the girl giving birth in secret so that she could go on to abandon her baby, all I could think of were the countless women for whom this must have been a reality over the years.

It amazes me sometimes how the producers of the show can make being gripped by misery for an hour feel like such an uplifting experience afterwards. Am looking forward to Series 2 :)
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this programme, even the sad bits about Mrs. Jenkins. I had a good cry when she visited the grave with Jenny and placed her hands on where Rosie was buried, and it was also nice to see the young girl who had baby Raymond reunited with her parents and the baby at the end, without too much saccharine 'making up' after what had happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trailer for series 2 mentions that it's now 1958, so it hasn't moved on much since series 1.

Oh well, that's three of us on here now who saw the spark between Sr Bernadette and Dr Turner (or, at least three of us who have said it in our posts, anyway!). I wonder what Sr Bernadette's story is. Right back in series 1 there was that little scene where she's looking in the mirror as she takes off her veil and wimple, and her glasses, gradually revealing the pretty young woman who still lies beneath the habit and the vows. I thought even back then that there was more to her than meets the eye.

I'm not trying to be salacious - one of my best friends is a nun, another an ex-priest, so I know of the struggle it can be for many ordained (either Catholic like me, or Anglican like the Nonnatus sisters in C the M) to reconcile their vows with the people they still are. If they do explore Sr Bernadette and Dr Turner I hope it's done with taste and dignity, and not as if we're in the middle of some soap opera which is trying to be shocking for the sake of it. It was, and is, very normal for priests and nuns to fall in love (and I should know, but that's another story for another day...) but it's what they do with those feelings (or not) and how it's handled which matters.

The Mrs Jenkins story had me in tears too. It didn't help that I'd been watching series 1 all afternoon on DVD and had also been howling (again) at the episode where Joe Collet, the old soldier played by Roy Hudd, dies.

It's all so raw in C the M, and yet it's based on real events, so there's no getting away from the fact that some people had to face this kind of emotion every single day in some form or another. We are just that little bit more removed from it in this day and age, but clearly it strikes a chord with the many millions who are drawn to the series. Looking forward to series 2 now.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the comments above and thought it utterly brilliant.

Dreadful cruelty and hardship and yet the main characters (nuns and nurses) have the ability to deliver help with compassion, empathy and sensitivity or more appropriately, the actors / actresses can depict them doing it.

But in doing so, they seem for me, at least, to recreate the spirit of the books. As ever, the books are different to the TV serialisation but I do not find myself sitting there saying things like, 'the TV is good but the books are so much better'.

Relatives of mine said that they thought this serialisation sugar coast things a bit. I disagree. The episode with Jack Collet and the bugs all over his walls and last night's one with the girl giving birth in an abandoned and freezing house, not to mention Mrs Jenkins boots sticking to her skin. If this is sugar coating, I dread to think of what it would be if depicted more harshly.

Mrs Jenkins' story was achingly sad. Looking at her childrens' grave, 'They're all tucked up nicely'. I'm welling up just typing it.

The workhouses were part of the well-to-do's desire to help the less able.But ironically, in trying not to make the service so helpful that people would want to take advantage of it, they created a system from hell.

Interesting that the debates of the 1820's are still being had now about benefit scroungers and the same issue of help for those that 'really need it and those that people that exploit it.

In the past, I've sent Heidi Thomas a congratulatory Tweet about her script and she replied with thanks. Going to do it again now.

Did you know that HT is married to Steven McGann (Dr Turner)? Well that's what Wiki says!