Phil backs DOI ending

Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• TVFreakoTVFreako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    The silver-haired fox also shared his favourite moment from 'Dancing on Ice', admitting he couldn't contain his laughter when former 'EastEnders' actor Todd Carty faced some technical difficulty in 2009

He recalled: "One of the funniest times was when Todd Carty disappeared out of the rink. We all loved that......".

I am glad someone found it amusing and funny enough to laugh. I doubt TC found it as amusing. I didn't see him laugh much. I didn't find it funny. I didn't love it. I found it humiliating in the extreme seeing everyone laugh at him whilst he incurred the daily wrath of the panel. The poor guy was the lamb at the slaughter.

DOI polarized the celebrity skaters through the run of the show into those that could and those that couldn't. It was made for those that could and those that couldn't simply never stood a chance. I am glad DOI is over.
  • Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
    Forum Member
    "I'm enormously proud of the programme - it's a beautifully made show - but it's the best time to go, while it's still on top. I've really enjoyed presenting it so much."

Hah - the ratings for the last series have been some of the lowest ever for DOI. That isn't going out on top.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

Going out on a high would have been two years ago
    they tried to eek the format out for the 10 years as the ratings prove
    people are fedup of something and my guess is not the format itself.
    I would have sacked the entire panel for starters are we really saying in the skating world they are the best to offer an unbiased view. Robin and Karen for the skating
    Ashley and Jason for the rest? What we have seen this series is blatant overmarking
    trying to secure a skateoff they would be happy with.

I have no doubt Ray will win but if Beth even makes the final two watch the faces on the panel. This was proved last week when CD finally had enough and spoke out so its not just another Daft conspiracy the panel have totally forgotten what role they play in all this. And its certainly not the kingmakers
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's time for doi to bow out simply because it has become stale and somewhat boring. Unfortunately the producers have been unable to install any meaningful changes to keep the show fresh. Yes, they've introduced gimmicks, but the thing that is most important is the skating routines, and they don't seem to have changed since season 3. For example, the first time we saw the headbanger it was "Oh WOW!! Just look at that...." Now, it's a case of "Oh no, not that old thing again....." Maybe the use of a large variety of choreographers, or employing pro skaters who were capable of doing their own choreography might have helped. But who knows?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is it's not going out on a high. Going out on a high would mean ending it at the peak of its popularity whilst it was still pulling the viewers in, before ratings started going down to under half of what they where in the glory days.

The show has outstayed it's welcome by about three years, and I think had T&D not quit ITV would have gone for another series. The problem is it's stale and boring and has never been able to pull the big names like Strictly does.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I thought Todd exiting the rink was funny but the scores that week should have been 1.0 across the board surley to god?