The Trip to Italy

TributeTribute Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
Starts tonight at 10pm on BBC Two.

Worth starting a new thread (with a title which hasn't judged the quality of the show from the trailer) to discuss the series and what people want from it.

Will you be happy for it to follow closely to the style of the first series or would you prefer them to take it in a different direction?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no different direction to take it really. It'll be the same, and I'll decide after the first episode whether or not what they have to say to each other is going to be worth tuning in for. I don't really care where they do it, I don't watch it for the scenery or the food.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    There's no different direction to take it really. It'll be the same, and I'll decide after the first episode whether or not what they have to say to each other is going to be worth tuning in for. I don't really care where they do it, I don't watch it for the scenery or the food.

Seeing places in the Lakes and North Yorkshire I've visited was part of the pleasure for me. I've only been to Italy once so thats not going to be a pull this time:(
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this thread :)

Yep, will be watching, I love them together.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I certainly thought the beautiful Lakes scenery, and their impressions of the places they visited last time, was an appealing part of the first series. And seeing what they chose from the Menu. Definitely! :)

Will be watching tonight, as I think they make a good pairing - the tension aswell as the laughs.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What were people's opinions? I enjoyed it, though felt that it was a little more bit and miss than I remembered.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it had a better script than the first series - much more effort put in. But then my attention wandered a bit - could be just me with a lowered attention span these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Thought it had a better script than the first series - much more effort put in. But then my attention wandered a bit - could be just me with a lowered attention span these days.
    There's very little-to-no-script because it's improvised - they just set up a few cameras and let Steve and Rob do their thing. That's why there's no writing credit. Improv is also a trademark of Michael Winterbottom - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935863/bio#trademark
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740047/trivia
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though they are both incredibly smug and so far up their own arses that they could possibly perform their own colonoscopy's, I enjoyed this. Like them or loathe them as individuals (and I don't particularly care for either in many ways), I'd still, in terms of 'televisual entertainment' rather watch two genuinely talented people like this produce a programme like we saw rather than watch mind numbingly superficial crap of a not dissimilar nature like Joey Essex, Mark Wright or Tom Daley. It was almost like watching a reality show with brains and for me, nothing wrong with that.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Coogan's Morrissey.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Glad to see the Michael Caine impressions back on track after the slight dip in quality of them in tonight's episode.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit disappointing. I was actually more interested in the food at some points and got annoyed at Brydon for playing with his pasta instead of eating it!
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Didn't we all make enough jokes about Bane's voice two years ago when the film was new.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    There's very little-to-no-script because it's improvised - they just set up a few cameras and let Steve and Rob do their thing. That's why there's no writing credit. Improv is also a trademark of Michael Winterbottom - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935863/bio#trademark

I could believe that about the first one but this one seemed far more premeditated. Not that I'm complaining. Quality is key.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    What were people's opinions? I enjoyed it, though felt that it was a little more bit and miss than I remembered.
    I gave up well before half-way into the programme, thought I should watch a bit though I was not optimistic.

No fan of either actor and not a believer in the concept that an unfunny joke is funnier if done in a poor impersonation of someone else.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first episode. Two gentlemen who find it effortless to be hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I gave up well before half-way into the programme, thought I should watch a bit though I was not optimistic.

No fan of either actor and not a believer in the concept that an unfunny joke is funnier if done in a poor impersonation of someone else.

So you don't like either of the ONLY two people in it, but watched it anyway? Well good on you for trying, not surprised you didn't like it though. Your personal opinion won't affect my enjoyment, but good on you again for trying it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't like either of the ONLY two people in it, but watched it anyway? Well good on you for trying, not surprised you didn't like it though. Your personal opinion won't affect my enjoyment, but good on you again for trying it.

Haha great comment :)

Good on the lad for giving it a go hey? I like Coogan but not Brydon. Well that's how I went into it anyway, but actually I came round to Brydon and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Bit disappointing. I was actually more interested in the food at some points and got annoyed at Brydon for playing with his pasta instead of eating it!

It's shot on one camera so each scene is done three times from different angles, so can't eat too much.
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really enjoyed this...had some laugh out loud moments which I was not expecting...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was rather disappointed tbh . the michael caine stuff just seems too familiar , and the only new one - Tom Hardy they didn't even bother trying to do .

• La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very entertaining. Good Food, not much drinking this time - is Coogan really on the wagon or is it for the Health & Safety aspect with the driving? - and wonderful scenery. I just wish I could partake meself!

I loved the scene when they were discussing how young women look through them now as they're too old to fancy, and just smile at them like a benevolent uncle.

I don't think they're any more self-obsessed than most people in Showbiz, and can have a good laugh at themselves, and make an entertaining programme at the same time.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    Superb show, they bounce off each other so well. don't think it's smugness at all, they are like 2 m8s having a subtle laugh together , bit like Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just more of the same. So much so it dragged in parts. Generally an ok half hour of tv though but nothing more.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mo Farah's legs and the Bale/Hardy phone conversation were just superb.

I can't believe some have a go at their impressions. Coogan in particular puts to shame those who do it as their day job.