How much (roughly) would a tattoo cost?

BiancaLDNBiancaLDN Posts: 749
Forum Member
✭✭
For either three initials on my wrist, or a date of birth; i.e 25/11/64?

Obviously it varies, but is there a sort of going rate?

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think a good tattooist charges about £40 - £50 an our, but yours wont take an hour.

In advance of the inevitable"urgh, tattoos are minging" posts, here is my pearls of wisdom - research the tattooists and if the bext is the most expensive, just pay it and get the best
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From about £40 upwards
  • BiancaLDNBiancaLDN Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think a good tattooist charges about £40 - £50 an our, but yours wont take an hour.

In advance of the inevitable"urgh, tattoos are minging" posts, here is my pearls of wisdom - research the tattooists and if the bext is the most expensive, just pay it and get the best

OK so it's an hourly thing? Hmmm. Yeah it will be quite small, I was expecting to hear £40/£50 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiancaLDN wrote: »
    OK so it's an hourly thing? Hmmm. Yeah it will be quite small, I was expecting to hear £40/£50 :)

They charge by the hour if the tattoo is big and is going to require either a couple of hours or a few sittings.

For something small on your wrist I would say between £30-£50 but as DaisyBumbleroot said, research and even if it's the most expensive, it usually means they are the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    They charge by the hour if the tattoo is big and is going to require either a couple of hours or a few sittings.

For something small on your wrist I would say between £30-£50 but as DaisyBumbleroot said, research and even if it's the most expensive, it usually means they are the best.

Guess it's worth paying more, it is for life after all...!
    Thank you for your help btw :)
  • fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decide on exactly what you want. Then wait 6 months - 1 year. And if you still love the idea, go and get it.

Tattoos trend (wrist tattoos being popular just now) - obviously it's for life so you need to be 100% sure you'll love it in years to come.
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually wear tracksuit bottoms, yes perhaps I am a bit of a chav.
    Good Grief! It's confirmed. There's no perhaps about it.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on where you go, if you want a generic tattoo that everyone has it will be cheap enough, or if you go to a tattooist who custom designs then it will be more expensive. Even though you just want to get something that is going to be most likely plain black ink, you need to get someone good doing it, don't let them do it free hand. I've lost count of the amount of simple tattoo's I've seen that just look awful because the tattooist has done either too thick a line or used the wrong type of needle. I'd agree with others around £40 to £50 quid for a good decent one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »
    Good Grief! It's confirmed. There's no perhaps about it.

Lol. I'm only a bit of a chav. My family are quite posh, if I say so myself. I'm just lazy and have no dress sense, as indicated by the tracksuit fetish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fonzerelli wrote: »
    Decide on exactly what you want. Then wait 6 months - 1 year. And if you still love the idea, go and get it.

Tattoos trend (wrist tattoos being popular just now) - obviously it's for life so you need to be 100% sure you'll love it in years to come.

It's to commemorate today, which is my mother's birthday, have been thinking about it for about 3 years now - just keep chickening out everytime I think of the needle. Lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to commemorate today, which is my mother's birthday, have been thinking about it for about 3 years now - just keep chickening out everytime I think of the needle. Lol.

aww that's sweet, seeing as it's something your going to have forever and won't want lazered off or covered up, take your time finding someone good to do it, make sure you see their portfolio of work, don't go somewhere and expect to get it done there and then, imo that's a sign on a bad tattooist, have a consultation, get them to draw it on first, go around for a day with it on and then if you like it go back and get it, or get it altered. Put your own imput into it and don't let the tattooist talk you into something your not sure of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    aww that's sweet, seeing as it's something your going to have forever and won't want lazered off or covered up, take your time finding someone good to do it, make sure you see their portfolio of work, don't go somewhere and expect to get it done there and then, imo that's a sign on a bad tattooist, have a consultation, get them to draw it on first, go around for a day with it on and then if you like it go back and get it, or get it altered. Put your own imput into it and don't let the tattooist talk you into something your not sure of.

Thanks for that - that's really helpful advice. Do you have any of your own?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually it's a minimum of about £30 regardless of how small/quick to do, and then calculated at roughly £1 per minute. So, for example, if it takes 20mins to do it'll cost £30, 54 mins to do £45, 1hr is £60, and so on.

A good tattooist will also offer free aftercare, which involves going back after few weeks to check that it's healed/healing properly and to perform any touch-ups as necessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that - that's really helpful advice. Do you have any of your own?

Yea i have one on my back, I was stupid and rushed into getting it and have been left with scarring on my back (the needle was put in too deep) and lines all different widths, it looks awful, I'm still a fan of tattoo's tho, I have seen some amazing one's, when a tattoo is done correctly it looks brill!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Yea i have one on my back, I was stupid and rushed into getting it and have been left with scarring on my back (the needle was put in too deep) and lines all different widths, it looks awful, I'm still a fan of tattoo's tho, I have seen some amazing one's, when a tattoo is done correctly it looks brill!

Oh gosh, that sounds like a horrible experience to have had, poor you :(

What's it supposed to be of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh gosh, that sounds like a horrible experience to have had, poor you :(

What's it supposed to be of?

It's just a basic generic tribal design, it's amazing how bad something so simple can turn out.

I agree with the other person about after care, my sister is a custom tattooist and always gets her clients to come back a month or two later for any touch up's once it's healed.

Anyone can be a tattooist but I think if someone is an artist then their tattoo's will look amazing because they know how to draw, shade and blend colours etc to make your tattoo look great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ah that's nice. if you've been wanting that idea for 3 years, i'd say just bite the bullit and go for it. It's not that sore, just a weird sensation!!

Careful you might get bitten by the tattoo bug and want more and more!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got three words and two stars tattoo'd on my foot a few months ago at a place with a great reputation for £50 - i got it in remembrance of my best friend who killed himself - it says " you are free" and the two stars are the same as what he had on his wrist when he was alive .. (god ranting on about the meaning, the point is about £50 is reasonable :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I have some rather detailed text on my arm that cost me £40 mainly because text doesn't take long at all and it really doesn't hurt like you imagine it might. )I hate needles so that was the worst part for me.) If I had the spare money I would have loads more! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    i got three words and two stars tattoo'd on my foot a few months ago at a place with a great reputation for £50 - i got it in remembrance of my best friend who killed himself - it says " you are free" and the two stars are the same as what he had on his wrist when he was alive .. (god ranting on about the meaning, the point is about £50 is reasonable :D)

:eek: my foot was the worst tattoo i've had! it was an hour of pain and me squirming haha. Even my ribs werent as painful as my foot.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 3 initials tattoo'd on my wrist last summer, and it cost £50. I love it. It was painful, but worth it. The one i had done on my ankle years ago didnt really hurt at all, but the wrist stung like mad.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you just keep your date of birth, or your initials, written in your wallet?

Why pay to have your skin disfigured?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    :eek: my foot was the worst tattoo i've had! it was an hour of pain and me squirming haha. Even my ribs werent as painful as my foot.

Oh the pain was awful wasnt it! I was ok to begin with but an hour in and i was almost screaming :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Couldn't you just keep your date of birth, or your initials, written in your wallet?

They're not my initials or date of birth!!

I don't actually like tattoos, but as my mum passed away I would like to do something permanent to remember her, that I can see everyday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »

you may see it as a disfigurement - others see it as an art!

Each to their own!