Flashpoint 5/JL 1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
Forum Member
Well what did you all think?

Flashpoint 5 was a bit underwhelming. The event that led to the entire DC universe changing was pretty mundane (except emotionally) with no explanation offered as to why this would change things so drastically or indeed just lead to the sort of thing Booster Gold had been fixing in his own title.

The voice at the end and the time-line split in 3 was intriguing; hope they come back to this soon.

I was hoping to see some explanation of why the new 52 universe is as it is. Why did the time-line not just go back to "normal". Still, this may be addressed later.

JL 1 was OK. I'd hoped for something better. I enjoyed it but as DC's big launch title it was somewhat ordinary. It will be nice to see how Darkseid and The New Gods appear in this universe though.

Interested to hear what others thought.

Comments

• not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got bored with Flashpoint after #2 and skipped the rest. It felt oddly disjointed, and I generally find these kinds of event rather boring. I did skim someone else's #5, but it was more out of curiosity than actual interest, and nothing I saw interested me in the slightest. I won't be buying JL #1 or any of the other new titles, although I might eventually pick up a trade or two, if some of the titles get good feedback.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came here to ask if it was worth getting FP#5 just to help prepare myself for the new universe. But by the sounds of it, and cos I haven't read any of the previous FP book, I can get away with saving my money.

On a side note, I think the DC bods missed the opportunity of rebooting Batman along with the rest. Oh I can understand why they were reluctant - money!! - but having a major event in the DC universe which affects EVERYTHING would be much easier to explain and understand to new readers, than the majorish event affecting everything apart from most of the Batman stuff.
  • FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amberite wrote: »
    The voice at the end and the time-line split in 3 was intriguing; hope they come back to this soon..

I really, really hope they don't. If this is the permanent universe now then I don't want them chasing tales and mysteries of the world before it, leading to another reboot.
  • FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Came here to ask if it was worth getting FP#5 just to help prepare myself for the new universe. But by the sounds of it, and cos I haven't read any of the previous FP book, I can get away with saving my money.

On a side note, I think the DC bods missed the opportunity of rebooting Batman along with the rest. Oh I can understand why they were reluctant - money!! - but having a major event in the DC universe which affects EVERYTHING would be much easier to explain and understand to new readers, than the majorish event affecting everything apart from most of the Batman stuff.

You're missing very little if you opt to not get Flashpoint #5. Barry runs a bit, stuff changes.

I'm not sure I follow your second remark - Batman titles are being taken back to issue 1 too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I really, really hope they don't. If this is the permanent universe now then I don't want them chasing tales and mysteries of the world before it, leading to another reboot.

I don't want another reboot. I'd just like an explanation of what actually happened and why. As it stands, the whole thing makes very little sense.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing very little if you opt to not get Flashpoint #5. Barry runs a bit, stuff changes.

I'm not sure I follow your second remark - Batman titles are being taken back to issue 1 too.

But the character himself is not. Batman is the only major DC character (aside from Green Lantern) not being significantly altered, it seems. They get a free pass because they're the big earners.:mad:
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I still think they're making a big mistake resetting Action Comics and Detective Comics to #1. They're two of the longest running comics of all time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly (:))- while the numbers are going to #1, from what I've read, much of the Batman's history is still valid - though we won't know what that actually means until the titles come out. What I would have liked was to have them return to Batman Year1, but I see by doing this what happens to all those Robins that the public like so much and want to spend all their money on. Don't know much about other DC characters but there is A HELL OF A LOT of ones which are connected to Batman. So YearOneing him would remove a whole bunch of big earners for quite a few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something I think the ptb missed out on doing which imho would have been kinda cool - would have been to have the final issues of the rest of the line (or as many as poss) end with a giant flash. :cool: