Tower of London poppies obliterated by machine guns

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    People who make poignant yet disconcerting points are quite typically accused of being 'childish, stupid' etc.

The point underpinning the article is a valid one to make, regardless of whether one personally agrees with it or not.

People who are good at making poignant yet disconcerting points achieve their objective through subtlety and wit. This article is simply crap and isn't intelligent in any way.

There are many better ways to highlight the devastation of war (if anyone is truly daft enough not to already get this) and remembering that each poppy represents a life is one of them.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are many better ways to highlight the devastation of war (if anyone is truly daft enough not to already get this) and remembering that each poppy represents a life is one of them.

perhaps it is actually a bit creepy. Each poppy represents a person. Are people going to keep them in their basements and do weird stuff to them every night...?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Cutting.

I'm thinking "bludgeon" myself.

The author was trying a little too hard IMHO.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, at the start of this thread I thought it was a neat idea but could have been better written. But seeing the number of people who seem to actually think it's a real thing, it's clearly not as badly-written as I thought. And now I actually like it, if only for the fact that this thread has had a couple of genuinely hysterical moments.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmm, okay satire but I'll bet the person who wrote it has never faced down a tank or gun in their lives. Still, it is very hard to top the voices of some of the war poets (who also despaired of the glorification and romanticism of war)...they have the added 'advantage' of having been there, I guess.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

They showed on the BBC news last night that they had volunteers, taking down the flowers and packaging them up for the people who had bought them.

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30014867

I was there yesterday, and they didn't look like volunteers, they looked like council workmen with forklifts and large tents full of packing boxes.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Shiela Hancock suggested a tank to crush them.

I saw that and, to be honest, it's actually a pretty good idea. Everyone would sit back and think 'what a waste' and then maybe some small percentage of those may think a bit more about what they represent..
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I was there yesterday, and they didn't look like volunteers, they looked like council workmen with forklifts and large tents full of packing boxes.

Were they wearing poppies?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they wearing poppies?

On the 13th?:confused: