Jam jar lids

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
often difficult to open but ....... prob solved we got a tool with pincer
grip to get hold of the lid and turn it so it comes off........

But just as the prob is solved the fashion to bevel the jam jar lids comes
in ........ the handy tool does nt work anymore !

Do we need beveled lids ?
are they doing this deliberately ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yea i have one of those lid gadgets to open with..Sometimes i use i on the squash bottle lids as they can be a bugger to undo too :D
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    often difficult to open but ....... prob solved we got a tool with pincer
    grip to get hold of the lid and turn it so it comes off........

But just as the prob is solved the fashion to bevel the jam jar lids comes
    in ........ the handy tool does nt work anymore !

Do we need beveled lids ?
    are they doing this deliberately ?

I hate beveled lids, hard to get good grip,to open or even to lift from worktop
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always just punch a knife through the lid to release the pressure then it opens easily

You might say........but then you've got a hole in the lid which is true enough but my Mum and Dad did this before me.......... so that's 60 years of punching holes in jam jar lids and none of us died of food poisoning.

The other alternative with any metallic lid is just to put it under the running hot water tap for a minute........the metal expands and it opens easily
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knock the lid of the jar fairly hard against a brick wall. Works every time.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I always just punch a knife through the lid to release the pressure then it opens easily

You might say........but then you've got a hole in the lid which is true enough but my Mum and Dad did this before me.......... so that's 60 years of punching holes in jam jar lids and none of us died of food poisoning.
    Yep, same here.
    Handed down :D
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Knock the lid of the jar fairly hard against a brick wall. Works every time.

Smashing idea :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elastic band round the lid never fails me
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one of these: Jarkey.
    Simple and very effective.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gently release the vacuum with the bottle top remover part of your tin opener and the lid should come off easily.. Same idea as the Jarkey but probably sitting in your kitchen drawer right now. No need to bash holes in the lid or risk broken glass by tapping lid.
    Forum Member
    my lid opener is like this one for all lids http://i58.tinypic.com/w0gig3.jpg
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    could nt see a thing with your link

except an annoyin g , flashing tesco advert !
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jar Grippers from Lakeland work really well. Two for £1.99.
    Forum Member
    you need something like a rubber ring with rubber grips on the inside
    that can really grip the lid..... bevelled or not ..........

the tool Ive got is metal and almost useless the metal just slides off the bevel !
    Forum Member
    speaking of jam , it's very nice in porridge in the mornings with bit of honey ;)
    Forum Member
    If the lid is twisty one, and hard to open use a dry washing up rubber glove..It untwists very easy
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    speaking of jam , it's very nice in porridge in the mornings with bit of honey ;)

Ill try that........ when I can get the d...d lid off !
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's just because I'm getting on a bit but I've no idea what people mean by a 'bevelled' lid ?

what is it ?.........

ps......... yes, I like a spoonful of jam with my porridge
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's just because I'm getting on a bit but I've no idea what people mean by a 'bevelled' lid ?

what is it ?.........

ps......... yes, I like a spoonful of jam with my porridge
    There's a bit on packaging in Rip Off Britian along with some info on bevelled lids.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zm0p6/rip-off-britain-food-series-1-episode-6
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    All you need to do is get a knife and gently wiggle the tip between the jar and the underside of the lid to create a small gap. You only have to break the vacuum seal a tiny bit and the lid will open easily with no damage to the jar or the lid. A regular knife will do, you don't need a sharp point or edge, just a thin tip and a bit of patience.

I like the new(ish) Duerrs 'Orbit' jar lids with the outer locking ring, also easy to open the jar: http://duerrs.co.uk/2011/06/duerrs-new-jar-lid-solves-an-age-old-problem/
  • aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Run the lid under a hot tap and it opens easily
    Forum Member
    Has the OP managed to open his jam yet ?
  • katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    If the lid is twisty one, and hard to open use a dry washing up rubber glove..It untwists very easy

Yep That works for me everytime
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

The other alternative with any metallic lid is just to put it under the running hot water tap for a minute........the metal expands and it opens easily

I do that! The other day I had a jar of gherkins that wouldn't open no matter what I tried, so I stabbed it! What I do if it's a jar of something that I buy a lot, I try to open a lid normally and then keep it to replace the stabbed ones.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I'm rather weedy and often have trouble with lids, but I've never had to punch through them with a knife! Seems a bit extreme.

A dry washing-up glove, as Orangemaid suggested above, does the job brilliantly.
    Forum Member
    I bought the squeezable jam yesterday from Tesco at 99p...Easy to use just squeeze what you want..( I just have a bit on my porridge ( with honey) for breakfast ..( But don't forget to take the inside paper bit of the lid if you buy any OP, or you will have another problem ) :D