Options

The Tribe Channel 4 9pm (4-part series)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the stroppy teenager. Great to see all cultures are blighted with this stage in human life cycle.

On a serious note i think this is a staged show. The houses they show belong to this family. Yet they have never shown us the village or the neighbouring houses. Where are the fields and toilets etc. where are the paths, roads etc. the tailor, the smiths, the schools etc.

The whole set is 3 houses and some ethiopian actors.

Prove me wrong.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »
    It must have been quite horrible being covered with the butter and mud mixture. Probably smelt too.

And then some. If a guy has a couple of day's stubble on his face and he eats a hot sandwich with butter, it clings to the stubble and immediately requires a good scrubbing or the smell of sour butter just intensifies. So being covered in the stuff in that heat would stink to high heaven. Plus, it would surely attract flies by the swarm.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    I quite like the stroppy teenager. Great to see all cultures are blighted with this stage in human life cycle.

On a serious note i think this is a staged show. The houses they show belong to this family. Yet they have never shown us the village or the neighbouring houses. Where are the fields and toilets etc. where are the paths, roads etc. the tailor, the smiths, the schools etc.

The whole set is 3 houses and some ethiopian actors.

Prove me wrong.

Probably staged to some extent. All these type of shows are. But I'm cot convinced they're actors. It seems to be more like a small tribal family in their own patch of land, farmstead or whatever, and they have to walk an hour to the nearest town.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cythna wrote: »
    It's such a lovely program. Poor Dami, I wonder how old she is?

The mobile phone thing surprised me, it's really the only western thing they have. Did anyone catch Kate Humble's film on Nomads last week. There was a man in Siberia, up a tree trying to get a signal on his mobile phone. The temperature was -30!:o

That reminds me of this beautiful picture

http://petapixel.com/2014/02/14/african-migrants-looking-cell-phone-signal-night-wins-world-press-photo-2013/
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Anyone still watching this..found it a bit upsetting tonight, a wee one was ill.

I really don't think it is staged myself!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Anyone still watching this..found it a bit upsetting tonight, a wee one was ill.

I really don't think it is staged myself!

Gran seemed to be quite upset about Bodo?? been ill.
    Seemed to toddle off to lie down next to him as soon as he came back home from the clinic.
    Grandad seemed to lose his thread with his 'send your kids to school' speech, rambling on about what he'd say when he got to heaven. :)

The Brother and Sister in law fighting last week was quite amusing.
    Found the Sister in law last week and little Sister featured tonight very cute too.
    Still lots I wanted to know after 4 programs, what's the sex before marriage situation, the chaps talked about it a lot.
    Whats the situation with second wives, as Widows and Divorcees can't get married again apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah a lot of unanswered questions, good grief did not realise that was the last programme! Meh time..grr.

I wonder if the second wife is just like a live in carer for the older couple, she just gets to live off the cattle in return...yeah the girlfriend and boyfriend tonight, seemed it was real love, I think I caught the jist that she left her chosen husband, I may rewatch!
  • Options
    marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really relevant, but the little girl whose mum had died in the last episode was an absolutely beautiful little girl, if she was in the western world she'd be snapped up as the next 'super model' - think she may be better off in many ways where she is!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of unanswered questions, good grief did not realise that was the last programme! Meh time..grr.

I wonder if the second wife is just like a live in carer for the older couple, she just gets to live off the cattle in return...yeah the girlfriend and boyfriend tonight, seemed it was real love, I think I caught the jist that she left her chosen husband, I may rewatch!

I felt a little sorry for Burkee (sp) when he told his Girlfriend he wasn't sure what to do about school then that he'd decided to go away with the cattle.
    Seemed a like leading questions, in that he wanted her to tell him to stay or she'd miss him, something emotional.
    IIRC she responded with how the beer she was drinking was a little strong and was making her piddled.
    I had problems reading their faces though as Ilko (sp) was watching her Dad on the monitors outside the hut and said he looked sad so wanted to be with him, I couldn't see that in his face.

I'm guessing the second wife was like a carer cum maid, plus she'd get an extended family to look after, as Widows and Divorcees can't get married I'll have to assume she was a spinster.

We heard nothing more about Dami up in the loft or not, as we didn't get much in the way of timescale to all this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I get where you are coming from Prince, I think it was probably quite rushed, the filming and editing...still not a bad attempt at some insight into the hamar..could have done with a couple more eps imo..I am nosey though! Was a bit different at least :)

Hope the wee boy recovered from the malaria :(