Southern Comfort.

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched this at the weekend, it was one of my all time favourite films growing up and it's still as brilliant as i remember. However, something occured to me and i wonder if anyone knows..Is the National Guard mandatory in Louisiana? It's just that with the exception of Casper and Coach, none of the men seem to want to be out in the swamp playing wargames. Powers Booth's character seems to refer that he's there because of the company he works for has tranferred him to the area..
I know the film is basically a Vietnam allegory but that only works if the Guardsmen have been conscripted in, sort of like National service, not if they've all joined because they want to go and play soldiers at the weekend!!

"Y'wanna go and talk to him before blowing his head off"

Comments

• logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump...ahem..
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southern Comfort...'brilliant'? :confused::cool:
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, good film. I think I prefer this to Deliverance which it is similar to.

You can tell that it must have been a big inspiration behind Predator.

OP, I think that in this film the soldiers have been conscripted to fight in Vietnam, but they use Louisiana as a training ground for the recruits. I might be wrong though.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Great movie and Ry Cooder's music really helps the claustrophobic, swampy atmosphere.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen this film in years. I remember liking it. :)

logansdad wrote: »
    .Is the National Guard mandatory in Louisiana?

No. In the USA, it is not mandatory to join any branch of the Armed Forces (Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, National Guards, Coast Guard). It is a volunteer military force. But it is mandatory to sign up for selective service at 18 years of age. This is for a possible draft in case the US finds itself in a war and doesn't have enough men to fight it.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I haven't seen this film in years. I remember liking it. :)

No. In the USA, it is not mandatory to join any branch of the Armed Forces (Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, National Guards, Coast Guard). It is a volunteer military force. But it is mandatory to sign up for selective service at 18 years of age. This is for a possible draft in case the US finds itself in a war and doesn't have enough men to fight it.

That makes sense, the film though made in the 80's is set in 1973. Cheers