Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    I know that people like to comment , its just a pet peeve of mine so I have a whinge about it every few months.

They may well watch the repeat although they wouldn't need to if they watched it properly in the first place :)
    Not true. I often watch a repeat of a show when I haven't been on here commenting about it and have just given it all my concentration. You always catch something new the second time around. Have you never watched the same film more than once?
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone thing it was average? Or just ok?
    Seems to be love it or loathe it thing.

It may well be like The Office . Something that you appreciate the more times you watch it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't act, though. He was essentially Karl Pilkington and his appearances were the low points.

I can't believe some people have bought into this as a POIGNANT work.

There is absolutely no justification for a season of Derek based on that.

Your opinion is in the minority. Look back and see the highly favourable opinions of your fellow forum members.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. I often watch a repeat of a show when I haven't been on here commenting about it and have just given it all my concentration. You always catch something new the second time around. Have you never watched the same film more than once?

Yes but not one hour later
  • Options
    euchrideuchrid Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    As a comedy, this was terrible. Did anyone actually laugh? Even when they crowbarred in Karl Pilkington it felt forced and laboured.

As a drama, it was a curiosity but definitely trite and clumsy in the writing. There were a couple of neat touches in Derek reacting to Joan's death but not enough to save it.

Christ knows why Nicky Clark's been blathering on about it all week.

Agree 100%. Trite & predictable drama; obvious & unfunny comedy. Very pour indeed, as Vic Reeves would say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dice wrote: »
    Could someone summarise the ending for me please? Was called away for the final 5 mins

Sure. Gervais stopped sticking out his bottom row of teeth so much to look like somebody with learning difficulties, and a piano came in to remind us that this was the emotional climax, then Derek blubbed and the girl went off with the guy.

Predictable, and dull.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamster on a Piano is trending on youtube
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gobsmacked that so many of you thought this was good!

I really, really am. :confused:
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess those like you

:eek: :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anone that has worked in the care industry knows a "Derek", that person who is not quite the full ticket, but has a genuine heart of gold. This was spot on, RG perfectly captured it, Karl Pilkington was just Karl pilkington, but still perfectly done. Laughs were at the cringy end though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think it was to bad to be honest, better than some of the shocking TV on at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can rewind your Sky+ you know even if its not set to record unless you have specifically switched the buffer off

LOL I already know that! I don't have it in every room and for various reasons won't be able to watch it on +1. Would rather just be told as requested then wait to find out online another day.

@ kalifire_uk - So basically he's crushing over the girl who he helped set up a date with the bloke? If so, Ta
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure. Gervais stopped sticking out his bottom row of teeth so much to look like somebody with learning difficulties, and a piano came in to remind us that this was the emotional climax, then Derek blubbed and the girl went off with the guy.

Predictable, and dull.

You've pretty much made that point FOUR times. Are you doing it so it fills this thread with as much negativity as possible?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    He can't act, though. He was essentially Karl Pilkington and his appearances were the low points.

I can't believe some people have bought into this as a POIGNANT work.

There is absolutely no justification for a season of Derek based on that.

It was poignant. I can't believe it would blow your mind that some people would consider it to be, but more to the point...it's a bit of a statement saying Pilkington can't act - he was supposed to be playing himself - which means he wasn't acting, and as he hasn't had any other 'acting' roles hasn't given you any ground to say he can't act...unless you're suggesting he can't play himself....

simple isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked that so many of you thought this was good!

I really, really am. :confused:

I know!
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Ricky was on Radio 1 earlier. There is a series they have filmed. He is putting the pilot out to see if people like it.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, but I don't like Gervais' portrayal of Derek. I can't take it as a serious character because it just looks like Ricky Gervais pulling a stupid face so he can post it on his blog. I think putting a lesser-known actor in the role would have worked better.

The emotional stuff was a little heavy-handed too, I could have done without the heartstring-tugging piano music. That said, I did think it was genuinely quite moving at times. I loved Kerry Godliman, and also the bald Manc **** with a head like a ****ing orange who played Dougie. Can't remember what his name is.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Ricky was on Radio 1 earlier. There is a series they have filmed. He is putting the pilot out to see if people like it.

If he's reading this I quite liked it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I loved Kerry Godliman, and also the bald Manc **** with a head like a ****ing orange who played Dougie. Can't remember what his name is.

Graham something.....
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    And to the people criticise Karl's acting, he was very natural. He was playing himself, essentially, but that's not as easy as it might seem. You only need to watch one of the shitty docudrama reality shows to see that. He has a natural comedy timing, as evidenced from the Karl in a Film/Hollywoodn't sections on the old radio shows.
    imnothere wrote: »
    Graham something.....
    Graham... of all the names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    :eek: :mad:

Why the surprise?
    By that comment , I was referring to those who can't just sit and watch something without having to have a keypad next to them.
    Unfortunately its a growing trend .
    Don't take offence.
    It probably explains the need for all those +1 channels so you can all watch it again and catch the bits you missed while typing ;)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    If he's reading this I quite liked it.

But if he's not you don't?
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone that didnt enjoy that has no soul
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was utter tripe. Would not watch again.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    anyone that didnt enjoy that has no soul

+1
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Thought it was utter tripe. Would not watch again.