Options

new memeber but life long fan - Hello!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

have finally joined this forum after reading over xmas about the speculation of tennants demise. i enjoyed all the wild speculation and thought some of the ideas on here were far better than the end but was pleased with the final anyway

after this ended up spending £150 on Dr Who dvds from amazon, the complete box set of series 1-4(new lot) the specials, all avaliable mccoy DVDs (he is my fav doc), lost in time, the talons of when chian (or how ever you spell it)and a few more that i cant remember............

any how hello everyone and i look forward to getting involved in the many "intresting" topics and cant wait for smithy tolead dr who into the next year!!

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, welcome to the forum...:)
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Hello there - welcome! :)
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Dr Ginge, it'll be a bumpy ride but great fun - GERONIMO!!!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Hi Dr Ginge. You're in for some great viewing. Talons of Weng-Chiang is one of my favourites and is very re watchable.

Sylvester is a controversial choice, most people hate him. But I have fond memories of the Doctor & Ace. I can remember running home from cubs in time to watch them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abslom wrote: »
    Hi Dr Ginge. You're in for some great viewing. Talons of Weng-Chiang is one of my favourites and is very re watchable.

Sylvester is a controversial choice, most people hate him. But I have fond memories of the Doctor & Ace. I can remember running home from cubs in time to watch them!

I think Sylvester is a great Doctor who had a very mixed bag of stories to work with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks all

yeah i knew it would be. i know the norm are baker and pertwee but mccoy was my doctor from growing up. i always thought he was the way the doc should be played a lot like hartnell. and ace was one of the better assistants (sarah jane obviouslt was the best)

i had talons on vhs and wore it out i played it so much!!!!!!
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidG_UK wrote: »
    I think Sylvester is a great Doctor who had a very mixed bag of stories to work with

His first season was just embarrassing, but his third was probably the best the show had been since Tom Baker left. A very underrated Doctor with some great stories. Unfortunately, he's always remembered for those first few.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His first season was just embarrassing, but his third was probably the best the show had been since Tom Baker left. A very underrated Doctor with some great stories. Unfortunately, he's always remembered for those first few.

He did have some very good stories, but in addition to what you mention he had the misfortune to have the role in a time people at the BBC and in the media were out to get the show, he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree. He never got the scripts he needed until the last series. To this day I consider The Curse of Fenric an all time classic.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Remembrance of the Daleks? That was good, wasn't it? A bit of a romp and one of the most obvious examples of the rule that during episodes Daleks say exterminate and shoot people, but at the end of episodes they just say exterminate and advance menacingly, but great stuff. And Toos is there!

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy is also much better than average.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    What about Remembrance of the Daleks? That was good, wasn't it? A bit of a romp and one of the most obvious examples of the rule that during episodes Daleks say exterminate and shoot people, but at the end of episodes they just say exterminate and advance menacingly, but great stuff. And Toos is there!

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy is also much better than average.

Remembrance is pretty good, and a definite indication that things are looking up. Unfortunately, we then got The Happiness Patrol (decent story spoiled by some bizarre costume choices, duff effects and a truly awful monster) and Silver Nemesis, which was basically Remembrance playing at the wrong speed. Then Greatest Show, which wasn't bad but was let down by a combination of factors, not least the fact that they lost the studio!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to you.:)
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello Dr Ginge, welcome to the madhouse.

Oh and finally the Doctor is ginger...he will be pleased. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome! One day, you too will greet new people with the joys of us! Hurrah!

No, but seriously, welcome. Make youself at home. Sorry about the mess. The toilets just round there. Theres the teabags in this cupboard. Theres the cat. He visits sometimes. Thats it really. Have fun!

Nah! Just friendly (friendly means weird in nerd) jokes. Welcome!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Welcome at last to the ginger Doctor... be prepared to face stern examination about your motives for that moniker!

McCoy was a good Doctor with some bad stories to contend with. As has been mentioned, his first season was a stinker! I met him and Sophie Aldred after the show was cancelled, and he was very much committed to the role, even then. He made it clear that should the show ever return (unlikely at that point), he'd do everything he could to be allowed to film the regeneration scene. Glad he got to in the end!
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Honestly, it doesn't always contain high doses of argument, that's just recently and it's usually very friendly!:cool::D
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum and if it hasn't been done and even if it has :p;) Whoooonie Hugs and Welcoming Smile to you !!

Kenneth :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks....so how long till I get my own key.........

Good to see I'm not alone on the mccoy front such a good dr given some duff stories

In regards to the dr ginge I am ginger and proud and one day there will be a "strawberry blone" in charge or the tardis.......(I'm not including doctor donna)
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dr Ginge.

During the McCoy era there was some very good stories. What wasn't there was a budget or care about the show from the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welcome, gets a bit heated around here at times but tis all good fun :)