Is Dr Who a man thing?

13»

Comments

• ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife is a classic Who fan. She generally finds the new series a bit silly.

This is a really interesting perspective... Does it prove the point in a better way than any amount of viewer polls ever could ? As I've got older (not much) I've always thought that TV dates much more readily than even, say, fashion... and that Classic Who is a lot more dated than my old flares...

I guess even my flares come in and out of fashion ever so often, but classic Who is always up there with the Mullet...

D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    When doctor Who came back in 2005, it took my wife five weeks to realise it was Christopher Eccleston in the role - after that, she was hooked and used to make a BIG point of watching it - sometimes by herself.

When David Tennant took over the role, she said "well, I'll give him a chance but I doubt he'll be as good as Chris..." - after a while, she was hooked.

Now Matt Smith has taken over the role I've had the same "I'll give him a chance but...."

She loves the program and I have a feeling she'll like Matt Smith too... :)

:D But Matt Smith looks like he's got a pigs bladder over his face - you watch him in fascination, rather like people staring at the aftermath of a car accident!

Perhaps me and your wife might not be so keen after all!
  • mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been hiding behind the sofa to watch Dr Who since the Jon Pertwee days and I definitely have been known to provoke yawns and eye rolls from from most of the men in my office when my female friends and I start somewhat "geekish" Who discussions!
    So no, I don't think fan"boy" behaviour is limited to the male of the species!!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D But Matt Smith looks like he's got a pigs bladder over his face - you watch him in fascination, rather like people staring at the aftermath of a car accident

wow that is a really nasty thing to say and quite untrue. He has unconventional looks, but he is far from ugly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on the fancying DT/enjoying the human aspect.

For example, Human Nature and Family of Blood two-parter. My male friend enjoyed it for the scarecrows and flashing lights etc- I enjoyed it because the Doctor had a real relationship where he wasn't speaking Timelord babble the whole time, and we saw more of Martha's emotions.
  • mictheminimicthemini Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Mrs Fosdyke
    But Matt Smith looks like he's got a pigs bladder over his face - you watch him in fascination, rather like people staring at the aftermath of a car accident
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    wow that is a really nasty thing to say and quite untrue. He has unconventional looks, but he is far from ugly.

I so agree. I think Matt Smith has a distintive look about him and I, for one, am so looking forward to him being the new Doctor.

And I'm female and love Dr Who for what it is, a sci-fi, enjoyable TV programme.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D But Matt Smith looks like he's got a pigs bladder over his face - you watch him in fascination, rather like people staring at the aftermath of a car accident!

Perhaps me and your wife might not be so keen after all!

That's actually probably the most horrible thing I've seen anyone say on here for a few weeks.

Do you pride yourself in being a royal bitch or...?
    Forum Member
    mikkyh wrote: »
    That's actually probably the most horrible thing I've seen anyone say on here for a few weeks.

Do you pride yourself in being a royal bitch or...?

Yes :D

In profile or at certain angles he has a certain something, but, well....frankly he's a wee bit odd looking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In profile or at certain angles he has a certain something, but, well....frankly he's a wee bit odd looking.

He has an interesting face, which is all to the good in this role. The Doctor isn't supposed to be a heart throb, his supposed to be quirky and interesting.

And I think he will pretty quickly cultivate his own little fan club who find him attractive in any case. David Tennant is hardly what one would call a conventionally good looking man. But he certainly has a certian appeal.

I just don't see why you need to be so nasty about someone though. How about posting a pic of yourself, I'm sure you must look like a supermodel to be making those kind of comments...;)
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    He has an interesting face, which is all to the good in this role. The Doctor isn't supposed to be a heart throb, his supposed to be quirky and interesting.

And I think he will pretty quickly cultivate his own little fan club who find him attractive in any case. David Tennant is hardly what one would call a conventionally good looking man. But he certainly has a certian appeal.

I just don't see why you need to be so nasty about someone though. How about posting a pic of yourself, I'm sure you look like a supermodel...;)

I certainly agree that the role shouldn't be filled by a heart throb, and that MS has an interesting face which may well serve him well as DW.

But, I still maintain that he's a bit odd looking; there's certainly no need for you to be quite so po faced and sanctimonious about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly agree that the role shouldn't be filled by a heart throb, and that MS has an interesting face which may well serve him well as DW.

But, I still maintain that he's a bit odd looking; there's certainly no need for you to be quite so po faced and sanctimonious about it.

I'm not being either of the things you allege, I'm simply pointing out that making such nasty and unpleasent comments is unwarrented. And clearly I'm not the only one. I don't see anyone here laughing along with you on this one!

The implciation from your earlier post suggested rather strongly that the looks of The Doctor were rather important, so thats something of a backtrack you've done here.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's not being sanctimonious. She's pointing out that you were being needlessly and unacceptably rude about an individual you have no cause to be insulting in such a manner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I didn't see any classic who the first time around. I've seen a few episodes since then, but wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't seen new who.

I watched from 2005 and absolutely loved it. CE is my Doctor and I don't think the show would have been a success without him. Enjoyed the DT series too, but in my opinion series 1 of new who is still the best. I don't fancy DT in the least. I like the inclusion of companions' families as it makes the show a little more realistic- we all have people who would miss us if we disappeared for a long stretch of time- but don't particularly want to see domestic drama, just having them occasionally appear is fine.

Having said all that, I like a lot of sci fi and work in a pretty geeky job. I prefer it when shows don't overtly try to appeal to the stereotypical female as it usually annoys me. Same way it annoys me when otherwise cool girl fitting clothes or shoes are all bright pink versions of things boys get in better colours.

Ditto! You're my twin!

Although when the very first scene of "Rose" came on screen showing a girl in an all-pink bedroom, I actually laughed, because at that very moment I was thinking "oh, I suppose this is going to be another one of those monsters 'n chases catering-to-boys-only sci-fi shows". The pink bedroom was like a sign that said "Welcome Girls". Mind you, I hate pink. And it looked like Barbie threw up in Rose's bedroom. But still.

The Doctor/Rose relationship in the Second Series did start to feel a bit like a pink radio to me, ie good in its original form but made more 'pink' (overtly romantic) because "the girls will like it". Which kinda turned me off. Displaying emotion is not the same thing as emotional resonance.

Oh, and I think Matt Smith has a fascinating face.

I'm really looking forward to his Doctor. Especially if SM writes us some dark, creepy, timey-wimey episodes.