The Tardis Crash!!!!!

Comments

• THEHANDOFOMEGATHEHANDOFOMEGA Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Console rooms changed frequently. I mean where did the beds come from in Planet of the Daleks

As for the repairing itself, it has been described as a living being. So may not heal the same way.

I think the tardis has been a lot more wobbly since it lost its connection to the eye of harmony which was situated on gallifrey
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    The last time it was heavily damaged a mere flick of a button undid the terrible chasm cut into it by the Titanic!
    (Since no-one on the ship mentioned it too I imagine it rewound time slightly and appeared again not in the direct path of a flying replica cruise liner! :D )

Put it this way, I don't think too much of the first episode is going to dwell on the new TARDIS look.
    This is The TARDIS, not The Enterprise, you don't get long, sweeping glory shots here ;)
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    agree on the last point,

But it was destroyed as they wanted the whole tardis to be great in HD.

This is a cop-out..... The TARDIS prop could easily have been rebuilt in it's original design with enough detail to justify HD..... Hell, even in CGI...

The TARDIS retro look has been recovered for a specific reason, and that reason lies with Steve Moffat.

D
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    The last time it was heavily damaged a mere flick of a button undid the terrible chasm cut into it by the Titanic!
    (Since no-one on the ship mentioned it too I imagine it rewound time slightly and appeared again not in the direct path of a flying replica cruise liner! :D )

I'm not very knowledgable about space ships, but I'm pretty sure if an ocean liner hit an unshielded wooden box head on, no one onboard would be aware of it. The TARDIS wasn't likely travelling through space and appearing on their instruments. It probably materialised right before it crashed, with no one aware of what happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not very knowledgable about space ships, but I'm pretty sure if an ocean liner hit an unshielded wooden box head on, no one onboard would be aware of it. The TARDIS wasn't likely travelling through space and appearing on their instruments. It probably materialised right before it crashed, with no one aware of what happened.

The TARDIS is not made from wood.

D
    Forum Member
    Well in Journey's End the Doctor said that against real Daleks the door is just a wooden door. I expect that without the shields working, the TARDIS is not particularly sturdy compared to something thousands of times its size and mass - Torchwood was able to move it quite easily.
  • jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Strange there was a post not showing and bumping didn't work.
    Anyway I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that whatever changes Steven Moffat says that there will be a reason or explanation for it in the story, even if it's one line
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in Journey's End the Doctor said that against real Daleks the door is just a wooden door. I expect that without the shields working, the TARDIS is not particularly sturdy compared to something thousands of times its size and mass - Torchwood was able to move it quite easily.

I took that comment as being a representation of the relative weakness of the TARDIS construction as opposed to Dalek Empire technology... I really don't think that the Time Lords would have built their time travelling vehicles out of something as fragile as wood, even with shields !!!!

.. and anyway, the TARDIS exterior is all that has to be moved about when it is materialised. The inside is in a different PAAD.

D
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't we hear a while back that there was a Blue Peter competition in which viewers had to design a TARDIS console made out of household objects? And the winning entry was going to be used in the show.

If that's right then it seems to me that the way they'll incorporate that is by having the Doctor forced to build a temporary new one using whatever electrical objects he can find, after the original gets destroyed in the crash. And presumably the proper new console will be built/grown by the end of episode one.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    Didn't we hear a while back that there was a Blue Peter competition in which viewers had to design a TARDIS console made out of household objects? And the winning entry was going to be used in the show.

If that's right then it seems to me that the way they'll incorporate that is by having the Doctor forced to build a temporary new one using whatever electrical objects he can find, after the original gets destroyed in the crash. And presumably the proper new console will be built/grown by the end of episode one.

The competition console is (probably) for another episode as filming for Ep1 was already done before the Comp closing date.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    The competition console is (probably) for another episode as filming for Ep1 was already done before the Comp closing date.

If it's just for a throwaway sight gag, it could have been reshot later. Or for that matter, photocomposited in after the filming!
    Forum Member
    ductur wrote: »
    I took that comment as being a representation of the relative weakness of the TARDIS construction as opposed to Dalek Empire technology... I really don't think that the Time Lords would have built their time travelling vehicles out of something as fragile as wood, even with shields !!!!

D

Yes, I'm sure you're right. And by the same token, you wouldn't build an cruise liner in space out of something fragile either. Look at it this way - an elephant and an ant are both built to survive on earth, but a crash between the two will be fatal to the ant while the elephant won't even know it happened. Against a spaceliner with its shields still up, an unshielded TARDIS may as well be made of wood.

Remember, my original point was using an ocean liner and a wooden box as an analogy - not about a TARDIS and a space liner.
    Forum Member
    If it's just for a throwaway sight gag, it could have been reshot later. Or for that matter, photocomposited in after the filming!

Too difficult to plan in advance, I think, without knowing what it would look like. It may not belong to the Doctor at all - perhaps it's for use someone like a member of LINDA or an amateur scientist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(I dont mind the Tardis changing so long as he has a shower, tv and a kitchen to make himself a cuppa or pot noodle axhe looks the student type
  • stuartmckstuartmck Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I mean where did the beds come from in Planet of the Daleks

Ikea? That's where my bed came from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the dalek episode they disabled the shields, and thats why the doctor wanted to go out,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure you're right. And by the same token, you wouldn't build an cruise liner in space out of something fragile either. Look at it this way - an elephant and an ant are both built to survive on earth, but a crash between the two will be fatal to the ant while the elephant won't even know it happened. Against a spaceliner with its shields still up, an unshielded TARDIS may as well be made of wood.

Remember, my original point was using an ocean liner and a wooden box as an analogy - not about a TARDIS and a space liner.

It's inconsistencies like this that spoil my viewing of TV and film. being of an analytical mind, I can't help but see glaring plotholes when they materialise and just can't get them out of my head. The first time I saw Star Wars when I was a lad, I wondered why on earth the rebels didn't just use wire-guided missiles instead of having to aim the damned things...

I'm not exactly a Nit-Pickers Guide author, but if a TARDIS could last a few minutes unshielded in a core of Z-neutrino energy (presumably something pretty powerful if it runs an entire Crucible) then collision with a commercial space liner would not be something that would even scratch the surface; especially as the liner was in orbit at the time and not at speed..

D
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's inconsistencies like this that spoil my viewing of TV and film. being of an analytical mind, I can't help but see glaring plotholes when they materialise and just can't get them out of my head. The first time I saw Star Wars when I was a lad, I wondered why on earth the rebels didn't just use wire-guided missiles instead of having to aim the damned things...

I'm not exactly a Nit-Pickers Guide author, but if a TARDIS could last a few minutes unshielded in a core of Z-neutrino energy (presumably something pretty powerful if it runs an entire Crucible) then collision with a commercial space liner would not be something that would even scratch the surface; especially as the liner was in orbit at the time and not at speed..

D

I seem to recall something in Time Crash about the shields malfunctioning (which allowed the Fourth Doctors Tardis to merge). Maybe that was what allowed the damage to occur? :)
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webslark wrote: »
    I seem to recall something in Time Crash about the shields malfunctioning (which allowed the Fourth Doctors Tardis to merge). Maybe that was what allowed the damage to occur? :)
    Wow, I wish I'd seen the version of Time Crash you saw! :D

Yeah you're right, there is a line about him forgetting to switch the shields back on, hence the Titanic crashing through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    Wow, I wish I'd seen the version of Time Crash you saw! :D

Yeah you're right, there is a line about him forgetting to switch the shields back on, hence the Titanic crashing through.

:o That would have been a good one :D

Just think of all the adventures that could have been -

The Two Doctors with 4 and 7 supported by Leela and Ace

or Talons of Weng Chiang with 8 accompanied by Chang Lee!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    especially as the liner was in orbit at the time and not at speed..

D

Ummm - low earth orbit speed is somewhere around 7Km/s. That might leave a dent?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Right, and if Windy Miller has a fully-equipped kitchen with all the ingredients and the same recipe why does he still buy his walnut cakes from Mickey Murphy? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, and if Windy Miller has a fully-equipped kitchen with all the ingredients and the same recipe why does he still buy his walnut cakes from Mickey Murphy? :D

Cos Murphy is a master baker :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, how could I forget? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, how could I forget? :p

Nothing compares to the cakes that Murphy bakes! :)