Options

TV Not Working

Hi guys, my Grandma passed away and left me and my brother a tv each, my brothers works fine but mine don't :(

I set it up yesterday, I have 2 scart sockets and 2 things to connect to the tv (Sky & PS3), the PS3 worked fine but as soon as I switched the SKY on at the mains, the TV screen went blank and there was a clicking noise coming from it and I couldn't switch it off with the off button, I had to switch it off at the mains.

I asked someone about it and they said try and swap the scart leads over, I did that and both the PS3 and the sky box worked fine last night. I went out today and decided to get 1 HDMI cable for better quality on my PS3, When I got home I switched on the TV at the mains, but it wouldn't come on at all, the light was on to say the tv was on but the screen was blank and there was no sound (that was before I even had the chance to plug in the HDMI cable).

It was the same up till about 4:30pm today, I turned on the tv and it was still the same, I left it on for 30 mins and then it was still the same and the clicking noise was even louder, I switch the TV off using the mains and turned it back on again and again it worked fine.

I then switched the sky box on and the TV went off again and did the same, I then switched it off with the off button on the TV (the first time it allowed me to do so when this had happened) and turned it back on again and now the sky box and PS3 both work fine again.

Why is this happening, Will it be ok from now on when I switch it off? What can I do?

Comments

• Options
    AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you post the make / model of the tv and how old it is? It may be a known fault but without more details it's impossible to tell.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the make is Lexsor and I think she had it about 3 years, I've looked on the back of the TV for the model but there isn't anything on the back apart from the power supply and a bar code with a number underneath
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    Hi guys, my Grandma passed away and left me and my brother a tv each, my brothers works fine but mine don't :(

I set it up yesterday, I have 2 scart sockets and 2 things to connect to the tv (Sky & PS3), the PS3 worked fine but as soon as I switched the SKY on at the mains, the TV screen went blank and there was a clicking noise coming from it and I couldn't switch it off with the off button, I had to switch it off at the mains.

I asked someone about it and they said try and swap the scart leads over, I did that and both the PS3 and the sky box worked fine last night. I went out today and decided to get 1 HDMI cable for better quality on my PS3, When I got home I switched on the TV at the mains, but it wouldn't come on at all, the light was on to say the tv was on but the screen was blank and there was no sound (that was before I even had the chance to plug in the HDMI cable).

It was the same up till about 4:30pm today, I turned on the tv and it was still the same, I left it on for 30 mins and then it was still the same and the clicking noise was even louder, I switch the TV off using the mains and turned it back on again and again it worked fine.

I then switched the sky box on and the TV went off again and did the same, I then switched it off with the off button on the TV (the first time it allowed me to do so when this had happened) and turned it back on again and now the sky box and PS3 both work fine again.

Why is this happening, Will it be ok from now on when I switch it off? What can I do?

Condolences n your grandma's death.

Is the TV a I good brand according to Which?

I got the 90's CRT my elder brother kindly gave me (he upgraded to a Flatscreen) repaired as soon as it went wrong. My brother still comments on the Picture Quality I have when he visits.

Do you have a budget for repairs if the fault is something you can't fix yourself?
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Condolences n your grandma's death.

I got the 90's CRT my elder brother kindly gave me (he upgraded to a Flatscreen) repaired as soon as it went wrong. My brother still comments on the Picture Quality I have when he visits.

Do you have a budget for repairs if the fault is something you can't fix yourself?

Its one called Lexsor

I do have a big budget, big enough to buy a new TV, which is what I will likely do if this TV has packed up, I have to buy a PC this Friday as well so it'll have to wait a few weeks :)
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a new tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the make is Lexsor and I think she had it about 3 years, I've looked on the back of the TV for the model but there isn't anything on the back apart from the power supply and a bar code with a number underneath

I suppose the model number might be elwsewhere, perhaps on the base. Did a user manual come with thte bequest.

If the tuner is U/S would it be possible to use the set as a computer monitor?

If it were my telly, I'd take it into a TV repair shop for a quote before deciding to scrap.
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a new tv
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ This - after all..........

I do have a big budget, big enough to buy a new TV....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the set might have sentimental value, hence the suggestin to get a repair.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »

I'd never trust Which as they often don't know that they are talking out of their arse. I've never trusted since they compared JVC VCRs with their Ferguson equivalents - they praised the JVCs and rubbished the Fergusons based purely on their branding, totally ignorant of the fact that they were exactly the same decks. They are known for this hypocrisy because of ignorance of re-badged products, and they still do this now. They'd be more accurate and knowledgeable if they didn't print anything and admitted they know nothing about what they print.

OP, it sounds as though the capacitors in the power supply unit are seriously bad quality.