Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Nigel live with the lady who raised him as her son? I think I remember him living with a sweet old lady in the first series who he was really fond of, if I remember correctly the other mug was just for her

Ahh, I don't remember that at all but it does explain the double cuppage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Have we ever been told if there were any forensic findings on Pippas body/clothes?? Surely there would have been an autopsy?? I cant remember if Hardy mentioned it when he was telling Ellie in the car in the last episode? There might be clues as to who was with her/near her before she died there...maybe they are saving this info for later!!

I personally am loving this series & am totally addicted...just like I was with S1!!
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyMurs wrote: »
    Have we ever been told if there were any forensic findings on Pippas body/clothes?? Surely there would have been an autopsy?? I cant remember if Hardy mentioned it when he was telling Ellie in the car in the last episode? There might be clues as to who was with her/near her before she died there...maybe they are saving this info for later!!

I personally am loving this series & am totally addicted...just like I was with S1!!

I think there were no traces due to the body having been in the water for 3 days, or thereabouts....
    One thing we do know is that she was not strangled, shot or knifed, so could be she just drowned by falling into the river ( this is my theory ! )
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iamian wrote: »
    Ellie is now supposed to be a traffic officer in Devon; the court case is a contrivance to get her back to Broadchurch where Hardy is still living whilst on sick leave. So we have not one but two suspended / sick / on leave detectives poring over an old case. Classic device, not very well done.

She gave her evidence in week one. She should have returned to her normal duties in week one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    I think there were no traces due to the body having been in the water for 3 days, or thereabouts....
    One thing we do know is that she was not strangled, shot or knifed, so could be she just drowned by falling into the river ( this is my theory ! )

Oh yeah! Hardy said something like 'water rots the body'. I remember now!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,954
    Forum Member
    I've been rewatching series one.

Someone on here said that it was a good idea to watch it more than once, especially as I watched it all back to back in a day to catch up with everybody else.

There were a couple of bits that I missed the first time round. :)
    HollyMurs wrote: »
    Oh yeah! Hardy said something like 'water rots the body'. I remember now!

I remember that bit too. :)

It's my favourite thing on TV at the moment.

Btw - I love your username :)
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She gave her evidence in week one. She should have returned to her normal duties in week one.

I know that we are 5 weeks into the programme. but how long has elapsed in Broadchurch? Could the trial still be in the first week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    She might have taken annual leave seeing as it's her husband in the dock like
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...it will lose even more viewers next Monday at 9pm when The Walking Dead starts back up on Fox, on at the same time (the Season 5 premier brought 17.3 million viewers :o).
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...according to this ( http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/12/04/walking-dead-delivers-record-viewing-figures-fox-uk) , it brought in around 2m viewers per episode, in the UK - pretty good stats considering the channel it airs on in the UK (FOX and FOX HD) are not even mainstream!!!

That would include repeats I guess. In the 21:00 slot it was about 885,000 (according to Barb). About a tenth the size of the Silent Witness audience who will be faced with New Tricks repeats. If anything Broadchurch could even go up for a week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Have to say I enjoyed that episode a lot more. Am getting into the Sandbrook case more, and although some of the bits appear like fillers such as the barristers son, they could prove important (clutching at straws slightly) one thing it show with Sharon was that she blames everyone else, like Jocylyn or her assistant, it's never her fault. Maybe that will come back to haunt her.

I assume Jocylyn was in love with Maggie but maybe that's too simplistic.

I do feel sorry for the vicar, he may not be too popular.

And lastly where was the name of the abattoir from? Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I know that we are 5 weeks into the programme. but how long has elapsed in Broadchurch? Could the trial still be in the first week?
    She has given her evidence
    Hij wrote: »
    She might have taken annual leave seeing as it's her husband in the dock like

So why is she galavanting round the countryside instead of being in court ?
  • robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    diplodocus wrote: »
    People expecting a revelation that Joe didn't do it after all are going to be disappointed I reckon.
    I hope he HAS done it...to alter that would be a damaging dagger in the heart of Series 1.
    To me last night followed the same loooong drawn out path.....lots of single silhouettes on the horizon, hardy alone on the beach, hardy collapsing in a threatening puddle of water (?), ellie caring more about sandbank (bristol) than her own husbands' trial (or son)....the lawyers pathetic infighting.....too many red-herrings...the 'furnace' ending was NOT that exciting, was it?? Even the excellent pauline quirke can't plug the holes in this very very leaky storyline.
    Its just too long winded and TOO unbelievable, MR CHIBNALL!!
    I really LOVED series 1...but sadly I can see why 2 miilion viewers have given this series the old heave-ho since the first episode....
  • robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member

because all the others apart from in the dock joe also seem to be?? ;-)
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbleona wrote: »
    I hope he HAS done it...to alter that would be a damaging dagger in the heart of Series 1.
    To me last night followed the same loooong drawn out path.....lots of single silhouettes on the horizon, hardy alone on the beach, hardy collapsing in a threatening puddle of water (?), ellie caring more about sandbank (bristol) than her own husbands' trial (or son)....the lawyers pathetic infighting.....too many red-herrings...the 'furnace' ending was NOT that exciting, was it?? Even the excellent pauline quirke can't plug the holes in this very very leaky storyline.
    Its just too long winded and TOO unbelievable, MR CHIBNALL!!
    I really LOVED series 1...but sadly I can see why 2 miilion viewers have given this series the old heave-ho since the first episode....

I watch it in the vain hope that a shaft of light will illuminate me and reveal what on earth is it all about
    Have no idea who is who anymore, and what is going on
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the defense is going to try and pin the murder on the dad - I can only imagine when Tom takes the stand he is going to either lie, to try and help his father, and or, let slip about his secret meetings in the caravan and the sh*t will really hit the fan.

I actually loath this defense team - going round subtly threatening/blackmailing people to be witnesses for Joe, blaming Jocelyn for clearly making the right call by not defending her crazy former pupil's son. Maybe we're meant to take a big dislike to them - I cant imagine we're meant to care that this woman's kid is in prison?

Why in God's name hasn't Jocelyn at least told her assistant about her eyesight instead of pushing him to want to quit and (presumably) leaving her without knowing all the facts because she can't read the files?! How is she doing this job? And how was she suddenly OK to type up a will?
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch it in the vain hope that a shaft of light will illuminate me and reveal what on earth is it all about

Vain hope indeed. Added to the director's penchant for long-distance shots, we now have to suffer half the bloody episode being filmed from the other side of a window pane.

That aside, it did feel like it was getting somewhere at last and I find myself warming to both Jocelyn and Mark, characters I previously found unlikeable. Loved the beach hut in the middle of a fairground too :D
  • HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I am enjoying it, but found myself shouting at the screen last night about Lee being omnipresent. How many more times can the camera pan back to find Lee standing brooding over Broadchurch/his wife's house from a distance?

Do you think it will ever be explained how the name of the agriservices company came to be written on the back of a slip of paper in the evidence?
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    At 4.76 million, Broadchurch has now almost halved its audience from its first episode, and lost the slot again to Silent Witness.
    That must be a bitter blow to ITV who advertised it so much as their top drama.

Is that including,later watchers.
    I watched the whole first series live,but it's been more convenient for me to watch this one on catch up
  • CaldicottCaldicott Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Great post .....

I think Susan left the picture with Nige bcos she wanted to reinforce the fact that she is his mother - he keeps trying to deny this......

Love Ellie and Alec together, they are driving the show for me at the moment

and yes,I do think Tom will make things worse when he gives evidence

BIB I think she did this as a goodbye. He saw her standing there with her suitcase and the dog, looked at the photo and ran out onto the street where she was gone. He knows she's dying and now he has no way to get hold of her.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lainey23 wrote: »
    Have to say I enjoyed that episode a lot more. Am getting into the Sandbrook case more, and although some of the bits appear like fillers such as the barristers son, they could prove important (clutching at straws slightly) one thing it show with Sharon was that she blames everyone else, like Jocylyn or her assistant, it's never her fault. Maybe that will come back to haunt her.

yeah even though I've enjoyed it all,this was the strongest week,I quite liked the fact that when Jocelyn called her out over blaming everyone else,as we've been shown this with her assistant,we'll see if that leads somewhere.
    I was thinking that the other girl might be guilty,until Ellie said it now just thinking probably a Red Herring:)
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am enjoying it, but found myself shouting at the screen last night about Lee being omnipresent. How many more times can the camera pan back to find Lee standing brooding over Broadchurch/his wife's house from a distance?

Do you think it will ever be explained how the name of the agriservices company came to be written on the back of a slip of paper in the evidence?

Or why no one bothered to check it out in the original investigation? :confused:
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I think Hardy is going to die, maybe in the next episode or two.

Reckon he's got Miller hooked on the old case and she'll take over things.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pubey wrote: »

Do you really think they would do that?! :o be a total shock twist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pubey wrote: »

Before he dies, will MIller say, " Kiss me Hardy" ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member

Court cases don't always strictly take place every day but I see where you are coming from.