Judge Judy question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay the following may apply to many other shows like this but why do people go on shows like Judge Judy to voice personal and private stuff on the telly.:confused:

Prime example of this here.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea, but I'm glad they do because Judge Judy is my guilty pleasure.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be a cheaper way of resolving their dispute than the usual judicial method.

It's sort of like that CH4 programme Embarrassing Bodies, there has to be some plus points for all those people to show their ailment and all on screen. I guessing that they get private medical (and faster) treatment for free or at the very least cheaper.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producers pay both parties so they're guaranteed money whatever happens. They wouldn't get that in court.
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is from wiki guys.. hope it helps

StructureIn order to ensure a full audience, the producers of Judge Judy hire extras who compose the entire gallery. Though tickets are not offered for the show, arrangements can sometimes be made with Sheindlin's production staff to allow fans of the show into the audience. Once all the cases are through, all of the audience members receive payment.[10] The extras must not dress casually, and no logos or brand names may be visible on their clothing. Extras are also instructed to appear as if they are having discussions with each other before and after each case, so the bailiff may make such announcements as "Order! All rise" and "Parties are excused; you may step out."[11] As far as the court cases are concerned, however, what is seen on Judge Judy is neither staged nor scripted. The plaintiffs have actually sued the defendants, and those very cases are heard and decided upon by Judith Sheindlin. The court show acquires cases by people submitting claims into them via their website or phone number.[12]

The producers' employees call both parties and ask them questions about their case to make sure it is suitable for Judge Judy. If the parties agree to be on the show and sign a waiver, agreeing that arbitration in Sheindlin's court is final and cannot be pursued elsewhere (unless she dismisses the lawsuit without prejudice), their case will air on Judge Judy.[13] The award limit on Judge Judy, as on most "syndi-court" shows (and most small claims courts in the U.S.), is $5,000. The award for each judgment is paid by the producers of the show, from a fund reserved for the purpose. About forty percent of the cases are money judgments, while the remaining sixty percent are either dismissed or involve an order for an exchange of property.[14]

Both the plaintiff and the defendant receive $100 for their appearance as well as $35 a day, paid to them by the show. The litigants' stay lasts for the number of days that the show does taping for that week, which is two or three days.[15][16] In addition, the airfare (or other means of travel) and hotel expenses of the litigants and their witnesses are covered by the show. If there is an exchange of property, Sheindlin signs an order, and a sheriff or marshal oversees the exchange.[14] There are no lawyers present, and participants defend themselves on Judge Judy, as is standard in a small claims court. Sheindlin sees only a half-page complaint and a defense response prior to the taping of the cases, sometimes only moments before.[17] Most of the cases, not including any footage deleted to meet the time constraints of the show, usually last anywhere from twelve to forty-five minutes
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    apart from the 15 mins of fame angle
    I think its mostly that if you lose you dont have to pay
    and if you win you actually get your money

the show pays

so some people will put up with possibly looking bad as they get out of paying up to $5000

also you get a free trip to LA

bit like Jeremy Kyle

some of the chavs will never get to stay in a hotel for free etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea, but I'm glad they do because Judge Judy is my guilty pleasure.
    Mine too:D
    myss wrote: »
    It must be a cheaper way of resolving their dispute than the usual judicial method.

It's sort of like that CH4 programme Embarrassing Bodies, there has to be some plus points for all those people to show their ailment and all on screen. I guessing that they get private medical (and faster) treatment for free or at the very least cheaper.
    Hmm let me guess the production company pays for all expenses and how much does the normal court case cost?
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The producers pay both parties so they're guaranteed money whatever happens. They wouldn't get that in court.
    How much?
    babba wrote: »
    this is from wiki guys.. hope it helps

StructureIn order to ensure a full audience, the producers of Judge Judy hire extras who compose the entire gallery. Though tickets are not offered for the show, arrangements can sometimes be made with Sheindlin's production staff to allow fans of the show into the audience. Once all the cases are through, all of the audience members receive payment.[10] The extras must not dress casually, and no logos or brand names may be visible on their clothing. Extras are also instructed to appear as if they are having discussions with each other before and after each case, so the bailiff may make such announcements as "Order! All rise" and "Parties are excused; you may step out."[11] As far as the court cases are concerned, however, what is seen on Judge Judy is neither staged nor scripted. The plaintiffs have actually sued the defendants, and those very cases are heard and decided upon by Judith Sheindlin. The court show acquires cases by people submitting claims into them via their website or phone number.[12]

The producers' employees call both parties and ask them questions about their case to make sure it is suitable for Judge Judy. If the parties agree to be on the show and sign a waiver, agreeing that arbitration in Sheindlin's court is final and cannot be pursued elsewhere (unless she dismisses the lawsuit without prejudice), their case will air on Judge Judy.[13] The award limit on Judge Judy, as on most "syndi-court" shows (and most small claims courts in the U.S.), is $5,000. The award for each judgment is paid by the producers of the show, from a fund reserved for the purpose. About forty percent of the cases are money judgments, while the remaining sixty percent are either dismissed or involve an order for an exchange of property.[14]

Both the plaintiff and the defendant receive $100 for their appearance as well as $35 a day, paid to them by the show. The litigants' stay lasts for the number of days that the show does taping for that week, which is two or three days.[15][16] In addition, the airfare (or other means of travel) and hotel expenses of the litigants and their witnesses are covered by the show. If there is an exchange of property, Sheindlin signs an order, and a sheriff or marshal oversees the exchange.[14] There are no lawyers present, and participants defend themselves on Judge Judy, as is standard in a small claims court. Sheindlin sees only a half-page complaint and a defense response prior to the taping of the cases, sometimes only moments before.[17] Most of the cases, not including any footage deleted to meet the time constraints of the show, usually last anywhere from twelve to forty-five minutes
    Thanks for that lengthy explanation :)
    apart from the 15 mins of fame angle
    I think its mostly that if you lose you dont have to pay
    and if you win you actually get your money

the show pays

so some people will put up with possibly looking bad as they get out of paying up to $5000

also you get a free trip to LA

bit like Jeremy Kyle

some of the chavs will never get to stay in a hotel for free etc

Fair point.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    Anybody watch the audience? They always have the prettiest girls at the front, and their expressions when they realise they are on camera crack me up.
    I am pretty addicted to JJ, even though many of the cases follow the exact same format ie Loans that are interpreted as gifts, not paying their share of the rent/bills etc. Although occasionally something different pops up. I do wonder, in view of the explanatory post above, if those who are revealed as tax cheats actually get prosecuted?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen the ome with the woman who wouldn't take off her glasses and hat. Why go on if you don't wan't people to see you. Also the crazy teachers who go on are fun. Wonder if they get jobs after the show
  • MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see the subliminal messaging at 1:53??? Strange....
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Going through the legal system is very expensive in America.

Go on Judge Judy and you get it all sorted for free - and get to go on TV too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see the subliminal messaging at 1:53??? Strange....
    What does it say?:confused:
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Going through the legal system is very expensive in America.

Go on Judge Judy and you get it all sorted for free - and get to go on TV too!

But is it worth it in the long run?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    Okay the following may apply to many other shows like this but why do people go on shows like Judge Judy to voice personal and private stuff on the telly.:confused:

Prime example of this here.

Some people just like attention (see Jerry Springer for examples). However, I had a relative that went on Judge Judy. It was a pretty open-and-shut case and she won. She didn't look like an idiot or anything. I don't remember if they asked her to be on the show or if she applied. Anyway she agreed to it. They flew her to California, put her up in a hotel, and paid her court cost.

If you have a non-personal issue (like contract case or something) and you are fairly sure you will not look like an idiot, then why not do it? You get your case heard for free and you get a vacation out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    Some people just like attention (see Jerry Springer for examples). However, I had a relative that went on Judge Judy. It was a pretty open-and-shut case and she won. She didn't look like an idiot or anything. I don't remember if they asked her to be on the show or if she applied. Anyway she agreed to it. They flew her to California, put her up in a hotel, and paid her court cost.

If you have a non-personal issue (like contract case or something) and you are fairly sure you will not look like an idiot, then why not do it? You get your case heard for free and you get a vacation out of it.
    I suppose? Hmmm?
  • MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    What does it say?:confused:

But is it worth it in the long run?:confused:

I'll let you be the judge of that ;)

Seriously though, http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9041/capturexnq.jpg :eek:
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wasn't a subliminal message, the person editing the video didn't cut the ads out properly and this was left in as it was probably the first or last thing seen going into or coming out of an ad break.