Show Me The Monet (BBC2, 17.15)

googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
Forum Member
✭✭
Brilliant show, anyone seen it? Seems to be on every weekday at 17.15 for a couple of weeks.

it's like Britian's Got Talent but instead of trying to get on the Royal Variety Performance they are trying to get a piece of their art into an exhibition. Of course because it is all their own artwork they have created that they are talking about, it's often the ultimate sob story show ... "I created this when I was feeling sad about xyz" etc :D

Some of the work is really good, some of it is garbage.

I like how they ask them what price they have set on their work, how do they come up with these multi-thousand pound figures??

Calling the panel The Hanging Committee is genius. Although for all I know maybe that's what they always call the people who decide what goes into a major exhibition!

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many very talented artists are unlikely to get more for their work than the cost of the paint, brushes and canvas etc.,

There's a lot of talent out there in many fields.

A joke amongst fellow enthusiasts is "How do you recognise a professional saxophone player's car?"

"It's the one with the pizza delivery sign on the top."
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im enjoying this, i like Chris Hollins and Roy Bolton is quite tasty and to see some new art is also interesting, thumbs up from me
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the whole of the programme for the first time yesterday and couldn't understand why two of the artists who had their paintings accepted weren't shown at the exhibition. Has this happened on previous programmes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    I watched the whole of the programme for the first time yesterday and couldn't understand why two of the artists who had their paintings accepted weren't shown at the exhibition. Has this happened on previous programmes?

which two artists werent at the exhibition? they always show them there
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this programme, but I find Chris Hollins really irritating. I find him insincere - I think a presenter with a link to the art world would have been better.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This derivative horseshit smacks of tired BBC excecutives devising a show to fit a snappy title.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this programme, but I find Chris Hollins really irritating. I find him insincere - I think a presenter with a link to the art world would have been better.

The problem for Chris Hollins is that he's had his "five minutes of fame" and is no longer "flavour of the month." Matt Baker has since "starred" in SCD and has "taken his place in the BBC's affections,"
    So he's desperately trying to get noticed again.
    But they all get "irritating" in the end, if they seem to be on TV too frequently.

Whatever happened to that nice Bill Turnbull, he was on SCD too, wasn't he?
  • soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I like this programme, but would like it even more if Chris Hollins was not in it. To me, he comes across as someone who has no connection with the subject. He gets on my nerves.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy it, but I'm getting sick of knowing who will get the yes & who the no, because it's already slipped into a formula. The poor artist who gets on at about 5.45 is a no & the lucky one at 5.50 is a yes. If they want to give it some drama, at least mix it up!
    I'm also confused by those who only get a short clip & a yes, but we don't see the outcome, very frustrating.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    which two artists werent at the exhibition? they always show them there

I can't remember who they were but there were definitely two as I was waiting for them to appear later in the programme. Also today there was at least one artist who got picked but wasn't shown at the exhibition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    I can't remember who they were but there were definitely two as I was waiting for them to appear later in the programme. Also today there was at least one artist who got picked but wasn't shown at the exhibition.

you are right the last couple of episodes this happened so my apologies, i can only think there were no bids for the said art or even that the artist didnt go to the exhibition. last show today i wonder if this will be back i liked Roy and Charlotte but David is a bit of a misery!
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    I like this programme, but would like it even more if Chris Hollins was not in it. To me, he comes across as someone who has no connection with the subject. He gets on my nerves.

Agree, I like Chris but this is not his gig.

This Programme has me gripped. As an artist it is interesting to see the views and opinions of experts and also the fantastic and Hugely talented artists who appear.

I hate the talent judge shows on tv but these seem more ....real and worthy somehow.

Hugely inspiring and amazingly inventive creations.

Brilliant series.

Please do not spoil it by going mainstream or populous then a parody of itself ala Dragons Den .
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this :)

I missed the last episode, is it worth tracking down?

David Lee reminded me of Nigel Lythgoe at times.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Is there anywhere we can view all the paintings shown on the series ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a spelling mistake on the EPG first time I saw it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this :)

I missed the last episode, is it worth tracking down?

David Lee reminded me of Nigel Lythgoe at times.

not really worth tracking down the last episode tbh, wonder if this will be back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that Chris Hollins was a dreadful choice to present this.

Worth watching for David Lee alone. Now there is a real TV talent.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly enjoyable series, though I could have done without Hollins. I could also have done without the infuriating continuity announcer (across the regions) waffling over the excellent end-credits theme music by Lawrence Oakley. I've always enjoyed listening to David Lee and the stunning Charlotte Mullins - it's a jolly good time for Charlottes on TV what with super-injunctions media lawyer Charlotte Harris also receiving plenty of airtime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Oh my lord....I saw this for the first time on catch-up last night, talk about dumbing down.

The title alone should have told me this was gonna be dodgy and the fact that it had a sports presenter presenting it really did get the alarm bells ringing but those 'experts'....they didn't know anything more about art than the presenter.

I liked how they rated sentiment (in regards to this woman's airbrushed painting of her daughter) as the qualifying 'emotion' to win you a place at the RCA show but humour (in regards to another woman's ceramic bust) wasn't an eligible 'emotion'. :confused:

and what's with all this 'originality'... seriously? :confused:

also loved the way one of the contestants peddled a blatant Joan Eardley rip-off and non of the 'experts' picked on on it.

Piss poor all round IMO. :mad: