Options

How to stop Black Trousers fading...?

attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
Forum Member
✭✭
I wear them for school, they're not actual school/formal trousers but the kind that 'look' like jeans but aren't. The last pair I bought was a few weeks before Christmas, since then they've been washed 3 times & already the inside of the leg (where they join together) has started fading. Another pair I bought in September have faded quite dramatically & are almost a dark grey as opposed to black.

Does anyone have a tip on how to stop this fading? I hate having to buy them every few months because of the fading when the actual trousers themselves are still fine.

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be in bed and asleep.
    Who's buying these trousers every few months?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be in bed and asleep.
    Who's buying these trousers every few months?

Me, I buy them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Me, I buy them.

How? You earn money?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How? You earn money?

Yes, I have a Saturday job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have a Saturday job.

Good lad.
    Now have a word with your mother, tell her you're paying for those pants with your hard earned money and she needs to get her act together or you'll stop her housekeeping.
    Either that or buy proper school trousers.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are being washed at too high a temperature. Tell whoever washes your clothes to put them in with a cool wash.

Toby - stop being so condescending.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wash them inside out on a cooler wash - no more that 40c
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wash my son's black clothes with a product like this, especially made to stop black colours fading. Well it helps a bit ! I agree with the poster about washing things on a cooler wash too.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=275287763
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    We wear a black uniform for work, black trousers and shirts. Over a short period of time they do fade and go grey. We all just dye them. Its a lot cheaper than having to constantly replace them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    We wear a black uniform for work, black trousers and shirts. Over a short period of time they do fade and go grey. We all just dye them. Its a lot cheaper than having to constantly replace them.

I've used dye before & it seems effective. I've seen the one you use in the machine for £2.99 in Home Bargains. Is it as good as the hand one?

Also, they are washed at 40c but it looks like 30c will now be used.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    I wear them for school, they're not actual school/formal trousers but the kind that 'look' like jeans but aren't. The last pair I bought was a few weeks before Christmas, since then they've been washed 3 times & already the inside of the leg (where they join together) has started fading. Another pair I bought in September have faded quite dramatically & are almost a dark grey as opposed to black.

Does anyone have a tip on how to stop this fading? I hate having to buy them every few months because of the fading when the actual trousers themselves are still fine.

Would you be better off keeping those types of trousers for informal wear outside school hours and get some specific black school trousers instead from a supermarket or discount retailer like Primark/Peacocks/etc? They might wear better.

I don't think there's anything you can reasonably do except re-dye the trousers but that's a time consuming and potentially messy business because dye of any sort has this tendency to splash everywhere and stain anything (especially the stuff it's not intended for!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I've used dye before & it seems effective. I've seen the one you use in the machine for £2.99 in Home Bargains. Is it as good as the hand one?

Also, they are washed at 40c but it looks like 30c will now be used.

We all use the in machine one. Though when I mentioned that before a Forum Member came on and told me not to as it was not good for the machine. Remember though and give the machine a good clean out after, I use bleach, washing gel and bung it on a boil wash for the longest period possible.
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Good lad.
    Now have a word with your mother, tell her you're paying for those pants with your hard earned money and she needs to get her act together or you'll stop her housekeeping.
    Either that or buy proper school trousers.

Apart from being very patronising in your responses, you are also being sexist and living in the past assuming it is only males who wear trousers these days.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Check what washing powder you're using as one with bleach in it will drain the colour. Washing powder for 'brighter whites' and similar slogans may contain bleach, whereas detergent specifically designed for colours is much less likely to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would you be better off keeping those types of trousers for informal wear outside school hours and get some specific black school trousers instead from a supermarket or discount retailer like Primark/Peacocks/etc? They might wear better.

I don't think there's anything you can reasonably do except re-dye the trousers but that's a time consuming and potentially messy business because dye of any sort has this tendency to splash everywhere and stain anything (especially the stuff it's not intended for!).

I think some of the school clothes come with a stay-looking-good extra guarantee. I vaguely recall some adverts - did Asda promise 100 days of wear from their school clothes range? And M&S, do they have some kind of specific school clothes guarantee too? Though, if you solve the fading problem that way, your choice for fashion and fit will reduce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of the school clothes come with a stay-looking-good extra guarantee. I vaguely recall some adverts - did Asda promise 100 days of wear from their school clothes range? And M&S, do they have some kind of specific school clothes guarantee too? Though, if you solve the fading problem that way, your choice for fashion and fit will reduce.
    Check what washing powder you're using as one with bleach in it will drain the colour. Washing powder for 'brighter whites' and similar slogans may contain bleach, whereas detergent specifically designed for colours is much less likely to.

Just checked & Daz powder is used on a 40c wash. When you say Colour detergent, do you mean like Persil & Ariel Colour, or just a liquid detergent. I guess washing on a 30c would help, too.

Yes, Asda offered a 100 day guarantee on all of their items, but I don't really see the point in trying to return them. I think it's more the fault of how they're being washed which has faded the colour since George clothing is high quality usually. I prefer wearing these types of trousers because their usually more fitting & don't rip as easily as 'proper' trousers, plus the price of trousers I buy is usually around £10-£15 where formal trousers cost up to £20 plus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Colour as in the box or bottle says colour on it, as opposed to whites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colour as in the box or bottle says colour on it, as opposed to whites.

Aaah right thanks. I'll have to get some tomorrow then. Is there a particular brand that's better in anyway?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the best way to get them to fade? I hate solid-dye black trousers and jeans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    What's the best way to get them to fade? I hate solid-dye black trousers and jeans.

Wash them at a high temperature I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do all my coloured wash on 30 unless really stained and my eldest daughters black trousers so far seem fine - hers were just cheap out of new look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    I do all my coloured wash on 30 unless really stained and my eldest daughters black trousers so far seem fine - hers were just cheap out of new look.

I've started to use a 30c wash now, like mine which are from Asda & Primark. May I ask what detergent do you use with that?
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laundry products designed for colours really do make a difference but you don't need to overspend. I have been using Aldi's laundry gel which is two pound something for a 20 wash bottle. Sainsburys own washing gel is good too, though slightly more expensive at £3.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this child's mother?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Where is this child's mother?

If the username is their age then the OP is 15 and might do their own washing etc. So why does it matter where the mother is ?

My mother worked long hours when i was 14/15 so i did my own washing if i wanted to wear certain things