Help! Godaddy want my VAT ID numbers.

c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
I received the following email from Godaddy on 28/07/07:

Dear rwn72 (they used my real name),

All is well with your Go Daddy® account(s). We just need a bit of information from you in order to comply with the European Union's Value Added Tax (VAT) law.

We're asking all customers in countries that assess VAT to provide Go Daddy with their VAT Identification numbers by August 2, 2007. Please enter your VAT Identification Number for each active payment method in your Go Daddy Buyer Profile.

While it does not apply to the purchase of domain names, the EU Directive requires that we add your country's VAT to purchases of most other Go Daddy products.

Once you've input your VAT ID, Go Daddy will automatically calculate the amount of tax due for the billing location(s) associated with your account(s). Those customers who do not provide the number by midnight (GMT), August 2, 2007, will be assessed the standard rate for their respective member states, payable on their next due date. We will begin assessing VAT on all applicable purchases made starting August 3, 2007 and going forward.

As you probably know, VAT is a tax levied by the EU on goods and services purchased by consumers living in member states. This tax now includes goods and services supplied electronically via the Internet (Directive 2002/38/EC).

Questions? Please call (480) 505-8877 for fast, friendly help.

Sincerely,

Warren Adelman
President and COO
GoDaddy.com

P.S. If you have multiple accounts, please be sure to update all of them with your VAT ID.

(end of email)

It is a genuine email as my account now includes a field for this information. My problem is, I have no idea what a VAT Identification number is and if I have one (I'm pretty sure I don't). I emailed Godaddy and got a very quick response. It was of no use whatsoever.

Can anyone help me? For some reason, Godaddy require the information by 02/08/07. Why they sent the email 6 days before the deadline for providing the information is known only to them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a business or private individual? If the latter you won't have a VAT number and the former will only apply to businesses with turnover above £64,000.
  • c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    Are you a business or private individual? If the latter you won't have a VAT number and the former will only apply to businesses with turnover above £64,000.

I am a private individual. I have no business interests whatsoever.
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »

Unless they choose to register, for example if the Input/Output equation means they will benefit.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case this will apply, I quote from you post above:

"Those customers who do not provide the number by midnight (GMT), August 2, 2007, will be assessed the standard rate for their respective member states, payable on their next due date."

It might be a good idea to e-mail them and inform them of the UK's VAT rate (for most things) of 17.5%. Otherwise they might use another EU states rate, for example Ireland's is 21%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwn72 wrote: »
    I am a private individual. I have no business interests whatsoever.

You will therefore only be liable to pay for VAT at the standard rate of 17.5%. Which they appear to stating to you.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Hey rwn72, might a phone call to HM Revenue & Customs get you an authoratative answer to your question?
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Unless you enter a VAT ID number you will simply be charged the standard UK rate of 17.5%. Nothing needs to be done on your part :)