Any tips to get rid of a bad cold...?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,115
Forum Member
Hi all,

I've been suffering for almost a week now with a cold, which seems to be getting worse rather than better. I'm starting to think it may be sinusitis as I do suffer with that - it's mainly in my head, terrible headache, painful eyes & nose, etc... I've also lost my appetite which I'm sure isn't helping either. I've been doing all the usual things, taking paracetamol every 4hrs, inhaling using olbas oil, taking decongestants, etc... but it's just not shifting. I also can't get to the doctors at the minute which obviously isn't great if i'm going to end up needing anti-biotics :(

Any other advice? I'm tired of feeling so rough :(

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much you can do other than just keep hydrated and try and ease the symptoms which is what you're doing. Body will get rid of it eventually. Don't do anything silly like going out drinking the first day you feel better, chances are it will come back. Keep wrapped up too.
  • bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    rap up nice and warm :D:D:D:D
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take echinacea ... works for me
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Put some cinnamon oil in a bowl with some hot water. Put a cloth over your head and inhale.

Don't use if you are up the duff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Katie841, I have every sympathy with you as Im just starting to get over my bout of head cold/sinusitis. My advice is try some anti- inflamatories with decongestants in them if the pain is sinus related, use the olbas oil as a rub and put it on your forehead and cheekbones at bed time (i was drowning when I lay down at night) and if you have a heat/ice pack use it across your forehead,eyes and cheeks to help with the pain. I'd been taking all the multi vits before I took this but I was really stressed out so it was going to happen anyway. If you dont feel like eating proper sized meals then have a few smaller ones just to give you the energy to get through the day and keep hydrated. Hope yours lifts soon:)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of years ago I had terrible sinusitis that just wouldn't shift. It hung around for nearly a month, even after all the other symptoms had gone. Then I went to a spa with my mum and half an hour in a steam room followed by an Indian head massage shifted it completely. I think it was the Indian head massage that did it - I could feel my sinuses clearing as she was pressing on me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - nasal decongestants (if that's the type of decongestant you're taking) can sometimes make sinuses worse if taken for more than a few days. You're better with an oral decongestant.

At the first onset of cold symptoms, I take 1 x 500mg Vitamin C daily along with generic cold/flu capsules containing paracetamol, a decongestant & caffeine. Very rarely develops into a cold, but if it does, I just continue that routine for a couple of days until it clears.

Your GP will only prescribe antibiotics if you develop an infection. I'm sure you're well aware they have no effect on viruses like the common cold. :)