Advice re faulty gas cooker please

TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All. I had a brand new gas cooker fitted in March with a double oven. Hardly used it all summer due to it being warm and never the top oven. When I started to attempt to use the top oven I would light it, then it would promptly go out and the ignition start clicking to indicate flame was out. Have had the engineer out 3 times. Have managed to get it to stay alight long enough to cook some dumplings (20 mins) once. Can't get it stay alight long enough to cook an Aunt Bessie's 5 min Yorkie.

The flame dies on the right hand side of the burner and gradually dies right across to the left, taking 30 secs to do this or up to 2/3 mins.

Engineer been out 3 times. First time we ran it, stayed alight. He drove off, the thing went out. I phoned him straight away but he said he'd signed off for the day and I had to make another appt :mad: Been back twice more, the intermittent fault does not happen when he's there and he keeps telling me and OH there is nothing wrong with it.

Christmas Morning. Major operation to get 5kg bird and all trimmings organised. Plan A incorporates using top oven, plan B fall back in event top oven kaput. 6.30am we run the top oven for 1.5 hours without problem on a number of settings - hurrah. Turn it off and go out.

Come back light it up, goes out, ditto, ditto, ditto. Plan B.

I am not prepared to waste another Wednesday waiting in for an engineer to say 'nothing wrong' and am about to email and write (recorded delivery) to manufacturers. I daren't even go upstairs for a shower and leave the top oven on in case it goes out and I have a kitchen full of gas or even an explosion.

I intend to be reasonable but firm in my first letter. I believe that this is a dangerous cooker and that a Gas Safe engineer would condemn it. Would I be correct in that assertion? Don't want to quote legislation that is in fact not correct, so any other legislation that I could quote would be helpful. I intend to ask for the oven to be removed and repaired or replaced.

Sorry this has turned into a novel. I would be very grateful for your advice. I am going out now and won't be back until 5pm-ish so please don't think I am ignoring your replies.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »

I intend to be reasonable but firm in my first letter. I believe that this is a dangerous cooker and that a Gas Safe engineer would condemn it. Would I be correct in that assertion? Don't want to quote legislation that is in fact not correct, so any other legislation that I could quote would be helpful. I intend to ask for the oven to be removed and repaired or replaced.

Sorry this has turned into a novel. I would be very grateful for your advice. I am going out now and won't be back until 5pm-ish so please don't think I am ignoring your replies.

Thanks a million
    It's only dangerous if the gas continues to flow after the flame has gone out. It should have a flame detector to prevent that happening. Can you hear gas still flowing after it's gone out?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be writing to the retailer not the manufacturer, unless they are the same. It is who you paid your hard earned to for the item that is obliged to remedy any faults.

Though if you have registered a manufacturers warranty or guarantee then you could take advantage of that if the retailer won't play ball.

This website is aimed at retailers but does give a lot of useful information about the relevant legislation for customers as well. It may be of help.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You should be writing to the retailer not the manufacturer, unless they are the same. It is who you paid your hard earned to for the item that is obliged to remedy any faults.

Though if you have registered a manufacturers warranty or guarantee then you could take advantage of that if the retailer won't play ball.

This website is aimed at retailers but does give a lot of useful information about the relevant legislation for customers as well. It may be of help.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained

Consumer Direct may be worth a call also - they will tell you what you need to say, and what you are entitled to, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id phone retailer and demand they uplift and replace

its faulty and less than a year old

but you may find that you have voided warranty by phoning repairman...unless he was provided by retailer/manufacturer
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly a faulty thermocouple. The manufacturers should replace it.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The place you bought the cooker from is responsible under the Sale of Goods Act - you should pressure them into getting it fixed. It is NOT the manufactures responsibility unless you bought the cooker direct from them. Warrranty doesn't come into it since its less than a year old - Sale of Goods Act covers you completely.

Tell the place you bought it from to get it fixed, and don't accept any runaround from them - if they do give you a run-around, go to Trading Standards.
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks indeed to you all for your advice and for the websites which I will visit and study.

Under the terms of the manufacturer's guarantee I have called the Manufacturer on their customer care number and they have sent out their own engineer, so I haven't voided the guarantee and they have a full record of my phone calls epxlaining the situation and the results of the engineer's visit.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All. I had a brand new gas cooker fitted in March with a double oven. Hardly used it all summer due to it being warm and never the top oven. When I started to attempt to use the top oven I would light it, then it would promptly go out and the ignition start clicking to indicate flame was out. Have had the engineer out 3 times. Have managed to get it to stay alight long enough to cook some dumplings (20 mins) once. Can't get it stay alight long enough to cook an Aunt Bessie's 5 min Yorkie.

The flame dies on the right hand side of the burner and gradually dies right across to the left, taking 30 secs to do this or up to 2/3 mins.

Engineer been out 3 times. First time we ran it, stayed alight. He drove off, the thing went out. I phoned him straight away but he said he'd signed off for the day and I had to make another appt :mad: Been back twice more, the intermittent fault does not happen when he's there and he keeps telling me and OH there is nothing wrong with it.

Christmas Morning. Major operation to get 5kg bird and all trimmings organised. Plan A incorporates using top oven, plan B fall back in event top oven kaput. 6.30am we run the top oven for 1.5 hours without problem on a number of settings - hurrah. Turn it off and go out.

Come back light it up, goes out, ditto, ditto, ditto. Plan B.

I am not prepared to waste another Wednesday waiting in for an engineer to say 'nothing wrong' and am about to email and write (recorded delivery) to manufacturers. I daren't even go upstairs for a shower and leave the top oven on in case it goes out and I have a kitchen full of gas or even an explosion.

Thanks a million
    When the flame starts to go out, is it "lifting off of the burner" ?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What make of cooker is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Chimp

I regret to say I don't understand the question 'When the flame starts to go out, is it "lifting off of the burner" ?'

When I look through the glass door I see it dieing down from the right across to the left of the burner. Hope that makes sense and is the answer!,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What make of cooker is it?

It's a Stoves built-in gas cooker, an SGB 700 PS. Two gas ovens and an electric grill in the top oven. Haven't found anything but rave reviews for this.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Chimp

I regret to say I don't understand the question 'When the flame starts to go out, is it "lifting off of the burner" ?'

When I look through the glass door I see it dieing down from the right across to the left of the burner. Hope that makes sense and is the answer!,
    It doesn't really help unfortunately, try opening the door a little when you see it dying out and see if that makes a difference, if so I will know what it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    It doesn't really help unfortunately, try opening the door a little when you see it dying out and see if that makes a difference, if so I will know what it is.

Hi Chimp, well it wouldn't light at all for the last two days so no go there I'm afraid.

However, on Friday I emailed the company who upgraded my kitchen and installed said cooker, and they said 'leave it to us' and have taken on the whole responsibility for sorting the problem out starting on Tuesday and will be going for a replacement. They said I should have contacted them straight away but one honestly thought the manufacturer's own engineer would sort it out.

A massive thank you to you Chimp and all the FMs who have so kindly offered help and advice, I am very grateful to you all. Will report back on the final outcome in due course.

A very happy new year to one and all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all of you who were riveted by the tale of my faulty cooker and so kindly gave me advice, the latest news is that the company who fitted the cooker have been on to the manufacturer and given them what for. A different engineer is coming out next Thursday with a load of spares and the gas safe guy who fitted the thing will come round too.

A further update next week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Stoves engineer has been. The guy who fitted the cooker was there with my OH and they stood over the engineer who had to replace the burner (and give me a brand new guarantee for it). They kept the chap there ages while they tested it and we believe it is now fully operational. Crikey!!
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Well, the Stoves engineer has been. The guy who fitted the cooker was there with my OH and they stood over the engineer who had to replace the burner (and give me a brand new guarantee for it). They kept the chap there ages while they tested it and we believe it is now fully operational. Crikey!!

Thanks for the update and I'm pleased that things seem to have turned out well.

It's good to hear how things turn out in the Advice threads.