Options

Open All Hours is back!!

Comments

• Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The equivalent would be Fawlty Towers coming back without Basil.
    Or bringing back Reginald Perrin without Reginald Perrin. Oh wait...
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they going to be able to use the same shop, are the BBC really gonna want to pay for the Salons fixtures and fittings to be taken down, a set built in the shop, and then after pay to have all the Salon fittings put back, cause if i was the owner of the salon, thats the least i would expect.

Oh, and also whatever my expected take ins for the time the shop would be shut.

Surely it would be cheaper for them to film it at Elstree or something
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    How are they going to be able to use the same shop, are the BBC really gonna want to pay for the Salons fixtures and fittings to be taken down, a set built in the shop, and then after pay to have all the Salon fittings put back, cause if i was the owner of the salon, thats the least i would expect.

They'd just use the exterior of the shop and film the interior in a studio.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or bringing back Reginald Perrin without Reginald Perrin. Oh wait...
    And how did that work out? Oh wait...

"This was seen as a failure by viewers, because the loss of Leonard Rossiter removed some affection for the series"
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great News. It be good if Ronnie Corbett could make an appearance just for a memory of his mate Ronnie Barker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just fantastic news. I'm seriously looking forward to it's return. It's been long overdue. I can't wait to see what Granville has been up to.
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I suppose they have to dig up an old sitcom for Christmas somewhere and as ITV took Birds of a Feather from the BBC It seems only right they bring something else back.

Maybe they will bring back Hancock's Half Hour next year....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Apparently they start filming the exterior scenes for this in Doncaster today:
    http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/video-open-all-hours-filming-to-start-in-doncaster-1-6249799

To be followed by the studio scenes with a recording on December 3rd:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/still_open_all_hours_3dec13

According to that BBC page Stephanie Cole is back! :D
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    jw2011 wrote: »
    Well I suppose they have to dig up an old sitcom for Christmas somewhere and as ITV took Birds of a Feather from the BBC It seems only right they bring something else back.

Maybe they will bring back Hancock's Half Hour next year....

Didn't paul merton try that?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they start filming the exterior scenes for this in Doncaster today:
    http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/video-open-all-hours-filming-to-start-in-doncaster-1-6249799

To be followed by the studio scenes with a recording on December 3rd:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/still_open_all_hours_3dec13

According to that BBC page Stephanie Cole is back! :D

Well it's cold wet and miserable here today so just right for the atmosphere they need to keep the show as it used to be let's hope it works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Jason and Stephanie Cole arrive for filming of the New Open All Hours complete with Brown overalls and Nurse Gladys Morris Minor. (which i think is on at the very end I might be wrong).
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-sir-david-jason-begins-filming-open-all-hours-in-doncaster-1-6251002
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I am looking forward to this :-)
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not leaving much time to film this, it's only just over 4 weeks till Xmas!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    David Jason and Stephanie Cole arrive for filming of the New Open All Hours complete with Brown overalls and Nurse Gladys Morris Minor. (which i think is on at the very end I might be wrong).
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-sir-david-jason-begins-filming-open-all-hours-in-doncaster-1-6251002

Thanks so much for that. Yaaaaaaaaaaay for Steph Cole!!! So delighted she's involved as I think she's brilliant. Even felt a bit emotional seeing David Jason in 'Arkwright's' coat. Wonder if he has morphed into his uncle's character or is still the same old Granville!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Producers consider a full series of new Open All Hours if Christmas one is popular :)

There is also a behind the scenes special as well over Christmas

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/open-all-hours-special-could-lead-to-new-series-1-6252817
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    The article says "feature-length special". I wonder...
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Granville's
    got Arkwright's stammer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Granville's
    got Arkwright's stammer

I wondered if they would do that I hoped not bizarrely I was just wondering this yesterday
    if he had a minor stroke or got hit on the head and it caused it to happen I had hoped he would be Granville but it appears he is trying to be Arkwright not sure it will work. I hope he isn't chasing Nurys Gladys

Incidentally do we know the timeline as the series was filmed over 10 years Arkwright and co were a bit Simpsons and he was always the same age as a can of Beans if they timeline forward 25 years Nurse Gladys would probably be pushing 75 and Mrs Featherstone 85.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maggie Ollerenshaw in it too, as the dithery Mavis. This just gets better. Even if the special is crap, it will be good to see all the old faces (well, most- sorry RB:cry:) together again.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The shop was only ever used for exterior scenes. The inside was and is in a studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The owners and people around the area love Open All Hours and they happily let them come and film, they spent the weekend stripping the shop and setting up.

I am glad they decided to come back here and film plus the indoor scenes are being filmed in Salford.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look carefully at the original Open All Hours, in some episodes the notices and adverts on the shop door are not placed the same on the interior as on the exterior.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History tells you, "you can't go back" it'll only lead to disappointment.
    Does David Jason really need the money?