Options

The BBC Springwatch/Autumnwatch Thread

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reminder that tonight's Springwatch is at 7:15 and not 7:30. The final Unsprung of the series is afterwards at 8:30.

And I just want to say that I'm one of the few people that's a fan of Martin - sorry. :o

Why what's wrong with Martin other than having strange hair and dress sense.

For the lack of anything else to do I spent half of last night watching rodents in the rodentarium on the red button, pity they are switching of the camera tonight.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching about a week late, have they finished with the boring "Blackbirds being attacked" yet?
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed this series, can't believe it's over after tonight, goes so quickly.

Chris and Michaela are great, but Chris slipping in Clash song titles is a bit boring now, hasn't he done the Clash before?

Maybe he could try X Ray Spex song titles next time:D
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always sad when "Spring"watch ends. Partly because it's such a great programme to dip in and out of, and partly because it means we've nearly reached midSummer, and soon we'll be hurtling past the summer hols and thinking about getting out those Winter woolies again.

They've managed to keep it really fresh this year with the new bird species' observations. There *is* something odd about Martin Hughes-Gaines - I can't imagine him presenting any other show on tv apart from the ***watches. I find Chris Packham rather unlikeable (can't help feeling there's a massive diva lurking just beneath his skin), but his knowledgeability cancels that out and makes him perfect for the show. And Michaela Strachan (who I used to really hate & wanted to kill WITH FIRE back in her Hitman and Her days) is lovely now, and far better than Kate not-so-Humble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    help im stuck inthe country with no car no moby and everywherers shut at 9

telling it like a NIGHTMARE

:eek:
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Im watching about a week late, have they finished with the boring "Blackbirds being attacked" yet?

Wasn't that jackdaws?
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I thought I would bring this thread back to life because it has been announced 3-5 days ago that Autumnwatch starts again on Tuesday October 29th and this time it's coming from the RSPB reserve of Leighton Moss which is in Lancashire just inland from Morcambe Bay which is a very big Reedbed and it is home to one of the UK's rarest birds the Bittern and is one of the few places that it breeds outside of East Anglia and as an RSPB member I'm very excited about this and I've been to that reserve a number of times.
    Ian.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I thought I would bring this thread back to life because it has been announced 3-5 days ago that Autumnwatch starts again on Tuesday October 29th and this time it's coming from the RSPB reserve of Leighton Moss which is in Lancashire just inland from Morcambe Bay which is a very big Reedbed and it is home to one of the UK's rarest birds the Bittern and is one of the few places that it breeds outside of East Anglia and as an RSPB member I'm very excited about this and I've been to that reserve a number of times.
    Ian.

Thank you for the update and info. I shall look forward to watching. :)

I'm a Novice bird watcher, but have been following a family of Swifts outside my window above the skies in London for 2 years now during the Summer. Where do they migrate to, and do you think it's the same family who have been back to my area for 2 Summers? They're very noisy, and I can always hear them before I spot black shapes darting rapidly across the sky. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Thank you for the update and info. I shall look forward to watching. :)

I'm a Novice bird watcher, but have been following a family of Swifts outside my window above the skies in London for 2 years now during the Summer. Where do they migrate to, and do you think it's the same family who have been back to my area for 2 Summers? They're very noisy, and I can always hear them before I spot black shapes darting rapidly across the sky. :cool:

I'm not 100% sure! but I think a lot of Swifts like Swallows migrate for the winter to parts of Africa. I might be wrong. If I am, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Ian.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I noticed, through the Springwatch Facebook Page, the new series start date and location. I have never been there, but know a bit about the reserve as a result of being a RSPB member so I am looking forward to it. Will it be all in one week again, or back to being spread over several weeks?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stash22 wrote: »
    Will it be all in one week again, or back to being spread over several weeks?

Autumnwatch is just on for four days this year, I'm afraid. :(

It's from 29 October - 1 November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also a member of the RSPB forums on their webpages and I asked whether Leighton Moss would be also on Winterwatch as the destination for the last Autumwatch in 2012 was the same as Winterwatch. But the answer I got, was that Winterwatch would be in Scotland sometime in the New Year.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stash22 wrote: »
    I noticed, through the Springwatch Facebook Page, the new series start date and location. I have never been there, but know a bit about the reserve as a result of being a RSPB member so I am looking forward to it. Will it be all in one week again, or back to being spread over several weeks?

I've been lucky enough to see the rare Bittern on one occasion when I visited Leighton Moss on my first trip there back in the 1970's but although I've been back their on lots of occasions since then I hav'nt been lucky enough to observe the Bittern again at Leighton Moss as most of the time they stay in dense reedbeds and difficult to observe in open water.
    Ian.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed Chris Packham's Desert Island Discs this morning on Radio 4. Livened up the airwaves with his great (LOUD) music tracks, every one a gem! :cool:

Still available on the iPlayer if you want to listen.

Very interesting on his early life and how his Father educated him, and touching story about his Mother at the end.
    Had no idea Jenny Packham, Fashion Designer, was his sister!! :)
    I see his step daughter is also a budding Naturalist and Wildlife Photographer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Yes, his DID is an interesting listen. It was nice to hear about his early life and family because he's usually a really private person. It made me sad when he said he's never had children because he doesn't like certain aspects of himself enough to put a mini Packham on this earth. But then he said something like having a step-child has been his biggest joy in life, which warmed my cockles again.

Looking forward to Autumn Watch this year, it'll be interesting how the weather has affected the wildlife. Just a shame it's only on for four days. :(
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Great programme so far.

Oh, and tonight, Chris is moistly namedropping...
    WarI films - so far have heard "Reach for the Sky", Ice Cold in Alex" and "All Quiet on the Western Front"
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Just caught Monty the ospreys story, can anyone tell me why there appeared to be a second nest below the one they nested in?
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    Great programme so far.

Oh, and tonight, Chris is moistly namedropping...

How do you moistly namedrop, by the way? Does it involve dribbling each time you mention a film? Well spotted for those, I noticed All Quiet on the Western Front and thought it a daft thing to say, and didn't catch the others.
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Moistly??

Oops.

Chris also got "The Deer Hunter" in towards the end.
  • Options
    glitterlady08glitterlady08 Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it. I love the Starlings, we have loads in our garden, hilarious to watch.:D
    Sadly 70% decline on the red list now.::(

I am captivated by the murmuration, fantastic to watch...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting about the foxes, we have a family of them that visit the garden from nearby woodland, I forgot I left a bin bag out last night, it's contents was EVERYWHERE this morning and they even licked out the Muller yoghurt pots! They don't like Sainsburys fruit loaf though.

Is anyone else confused as to whether or not its acceptable to fancy Martin H-G yet?
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Fruits wrote: »
    Interesting about the foxes, we have a family of them that visit the garden from nearby woodland, I forgot I left a bin bag out last night, it's contents was EVERYWHERE this morning and they even licked out the Muller yoghurt pots! They don't like Sainsburys fruit loaf though.

Is anyone else confused as to whether or not its acceptable to fancy Martin H-G yet?

i've consulted the appropriate authorities and been advised it's perfectly acceptable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i've consulted the appropriate authorities and been advised it's perfectly acceptable

I await the night vision Martin-cam then. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fruits wrote: »
    I await the night vision Martin-cam then. :D

it's already up and running :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anyone else watching unsprung and it just went off air mid conversation about eels in the sargasso sea?