Options

Chinese Buffets

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does your local town/city centre have a Chinese Buffet? and how much can you eat before you start to feel bloated and full?

There are 2 large Chinese Buffets in the town near me. Real China & THE Chinese Buffet and both are wonderful places that don't cost a fortune.

I can usually eat at least 2 full plates of food and then I have to stop but then I'll go to the dessert area and have a large plate of cakes, ice creams and more. After that I give up.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get excited in buffet situations then only eat a tiny amount before I feel sick. I am curious about those people who manage to eat multiple plates, how do they do it? Often they are not fat.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    Does your local town/city centre have a Chinese Buffet? and how much can you eat before you start to feel bloated and full?

There are 2 large Chinese Buffets in the town near me. Real China & THE Chinese Buffet and both are wonderful places that don't cost a fortune.

I can usually eat at least 2 full plates of food and then I have to stop but then I'll go to the dessert area and have a large plate of cakes, ice creams and more. After that I give up.

Yeah there's a real China here. It's not great but nice for just picking at a lot of things :) I never get dessert there, only mains.

Mmm, I really fancy a Chinese now.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stick to the starters at Chinese buffets. Then I'm careful about mains. You fill up too quickly on the mains
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I went for one it was one of those places that does all sorts and I managed a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and pancakes, two plates of Indian food, two plates of Chinese food and two desserts.

Wafer thin mint?
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    There are 2 near me and I normally get starters and can manage 2 mains then that's me, never was a dessert person. My husband can eat for Scotland though and still not put on weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Yeah there's a real China here. It's not great but nice for just picking at a lot of things :) I never get dessert there, only mains.

Mmm, I really fancy a Chinese now.

I love the crispy seaweed at THE Chinese Buffet, it tastes like heaven. Ming Moon in Birmingham has the best crispy beef things ever.

They have lovely chocolate fountains and loads of Jelly:kitty:

I'm craving one too, just need to find someone to go with:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I went for one it was one of those places that does all sorts and I managed a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and pancakes, two plates of Indian food, two plates of Chinese food and two desserts.

Wafer thin mint?

I´m envious! I love sushi!!
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    I love the crispy seaweed at THE Chinese Buffet, it tastes like heaven. Ming Moon in Birmingham has the best crispy beef things ever.

They have lovely chocolate fountains and loads of Jelly:kitty:

I'm craving one too, just need to find someone to go with:p

I love how crispy seaweed is just fried sugared spring greens.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love a buffet because I love salty chilli crispy type starters. I probably eat less than at home. At home I eat the mountain of food they've sent just because it's there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same, it's never available when I go to the buffets though:cry:

Has anyone been to Yo! Sushi? That's another amazing place:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was unexpectedly good, too! The place was called Cosmo, it's a chain of 'Pan Asian' buffet restaurants.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh man, there's a Cosmo I go to every now and then and I'm I'm hog heaven. My trouble is no matter how much I try otherwise, I always fill up too much on starters - sesame toast, spring rolls, duck pancakes, salt n' pepper wings, ribs, satay and so on. Next time, I think I'm going to have to bypass the starters altogether and just focus on the main dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Oh man, there's a Cosmo I go to every now and then and I'm I'm hog heaven. My trouble is no matter how much I try otherwise, I always fill up too much on starters - sesame toast, spring rolls, duck pancakes, salt n' pepper wings, ribs, satay and so on. Next time, I think I'm going to have to bypass the starters altogether and just focus on the main dishes.

It was a Cosmo where I managed six plates of food, plus desserts :blush:
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful places. But if you unfortunately find yourself in one the correct strategy is to bypass carbs and smash the protein.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just get a mixture of everything I like the look of and then my second plate consists of the things I liked the most and then a few things I've never had before or stuff that didn't fit on the plate last time.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get excited in buffet situations then only eat a tiny amount before I feel sick. I am curious about those people who manage to eat multiple plates, how do they do it? Often they are not fat.

tapeworm perhaps ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a Cosmo in Romford. I can never manage as much as I want to.

I love Yo Sushi, it's one of my fav places to eat.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a Cosmo where I managed six plates of food, plus desserts :blush:
    I don't doubt it for a second. The food's gorgeous and plenty of it. I love how the deserts are quite small, so you can usually find room for nine or ten. Plus, who can resist an ice-cream station? :D
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Some are just lucky enough to have a high metabolism. I remember going on holiday with my hubby and we both had cooked breakfasts every morning for the first week (he went back for seconds and thirds). The second week I decided to cut down and only had the fruit and cereal, didn't have lunch and had a healthy dinner, hubby still had cooked breakfasts, lunch and dinner. We came home and I had put on half a stone and he had lost half a stone!

I used to always say to him 'Aye but god knows what your arteries are like'. He has recently been diagnosed with a heart condition but it is nothing to do with his diet, in fact the consultant showed us his angiogram and said that he has 'lovely clear big chunky arteries which is not something often seen in the West of Scotland' so I don't have that stick to beat him with anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    tapeworm perhaps ?
    Euw! Let´s hope not. I must just have a small appetite.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't get a small piece at Cosmo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't doubt it for a second. The food's gorgeous and plenty of it. I love how the deserts are quite small, so you can usually find room for nine or ten. Plus, who can resist an ice-cream station? :D

Cosmo is definitely the superior buffet! Everything I had was good, if I wasn't about to burst I'd have kept going :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some are just lucky enough to have a high metabolism.

You can't say that here, it doesn't fit in with the `fat people are lazy, eat less, move more` manifesto
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D...
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    2-4 plates, depending on what I drink

Don't have a pud at a Chinese buffet