Options

Stephen Lawrence police review prompts public inquiry into corruption

BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
Forum Member
✭✭
Heard this live from the H of C on the radio about half an hour ago.

About time:

Story

Comments

• Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    About bloody time, the conduct of some of the police in this case has been disgraceful. It should be exposed for the absolute racist sham it was.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Agreed, about time. Let's hope the review is as open and thorough as it can be, regardless of how bad it may make the police look. Total transparency is required imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    About bloody time, the conduct of some of the police in this case has been disgraceful. It should be exposed for the absolute racist sham it was.
    Agree.

I find the fact that the Met Pol had an officer 'with a foot inside the Lawrence camp' (not my words) running counterintelligence utterly repellant at a time when they were supposed to be supporting the family and solving the murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    Agree.

I find the fact that the Met Pol had an officer 'with a foot inside the Lawrence camp' (not my words) running counterintelligence utterly repellant at a time when they were supposed to be supporting the family and solving the murder.

Absolutely, it's abhorrent. All they wanted was to find that he had gang links, or drug links or crime links anything to drag his name through the mud.

I for one am so glad that nothing like that was ever found as it has exposed some of the corruption on the police force that has gone on and still goes on today.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I couldn't be more bored with this.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Absolutely, it's abhorrent. All they wanted was to find that he had gang links, or drug links or crime links anything to drag his name through the mud.

I for one am so glad that nothing like that was ever found as it has exposed some of the corruption on the police force that has gone on and still goes on today.
    But what about other controversial cases where smears were used. If a teenager has had problems with the law previously does that make it OK not to investigate his death, or to gun him down? What about the Hillsborough families also investigated for details to smear them with? Oh and last week the woman who was beaten up by the police and then insucessfuly prosecuted for assault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    But not too bored to take time out of your busy day to post in a thread about it, evidently.

It is newsworthy - a new Law of Police Corruption is going into the Statute Book because of it.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    Agreed, about time. Let's hope the review is as open and thorough as it can be, regardless of how bad it may make the police look. Total transparency is required imo.

This was the review, the review is over. The results have led to the Home Secretary to direct that an Inquiry will happen, to be led by a Judge. I believe the review has only found evidence to suspect one officer of corruption - a Detective Sergeant. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

Me too, I wish Doreen Lawrence would just go away and grieve in private, she got the Police designated as Institutionaly racist, so that they don't dare arrest black gangstas, and the ancient law of double jeopardy was abolished.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    enough all ready! wont bring him back

we got it ok? the police were incompetent racist scumbags

same as bloody sunday inquiry

stop wasting public money on lawyers to waffle on for another 5 years with no result

move on
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Me too, I wish Doreen Lawrence would just go away and grieve in private, she got the Police designated as Institutionaly racist, so that they don't dare arrest black gangstas, and the ancient law of double jeopardy was abolished.

Why should she go away from this case? From the reports, there has been a lot of corruption in this case. It stinks from start to finish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    This was the review, the review is over. The results have led to the Home Secretary to direct that an Inquiry will happen, to be led by a Judge. I believe the review has only found evidence to suspect one officer of corruption - a Detective Sergeant. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Sorry, yes, you are right, and thank you for the clarification. My sentiment still remains and echos yours, and it will indeed be very interesting to see how this pans out.

I have no idea why some people say that this should be dropped or that the Lawrence family should forget it and move on. That attitude to me seems bizarre.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

stop wasting public money on lawyers to waffle on for another 5 years with no result

move on

Would you have the same thoughts if one of your loved ones got murdered by hardened racists and it became known that the case was full of corruption?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But what about other controversial cases where smears were used. If a teenager has had problems with the law previously does that make it OK not to investigate his death, or to gun him down? What about the Hillsborough families also investigated for details to smear them with? Oh and last week the woman who was beaten up by the police and then insucessfuly prosecuted for assault.

No of course not, but this was not an investigation it was a campaign.

In any instances of the police trying to create a smear campaign, it should be thoroughly investigated regardless of who it is that it is aimed at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Would you have the same thoughts if one of your loved ones got murdered by hardened racists and it became known that the case was full of corruption?

A very valid point. If there has been corruption/ racism etc I'd be happy for them to spend whatever length of time necessary to expose it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The police were 'designated as institutionally racist' because they were - it wasn't by Mrs Lawrence's will.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that 'black gangstas' are not being arrested - I'd be interested to see it.

Changes to double jeopardy saw to it that a murdering bastard was brought to book and banged-up where he should be so what's your problem?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

move on
    It's about making it less likely to be repeated. Or for when it does, as it will, for the wheels of justice to work efficiently and quickly enough so that the corrupt are held responsible rather than promoted or pensioned out by the time the truth is revealed. There should be a possibility that police corruption and abuse can be tackled in a legal manner so that there is more trust in the system.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems one DS has been named as being corrupt here. If so, hopefully he will get the book thrown at him, and the same should apply to anyone else guilty of such behaviour.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    According to the BBC One O'Clock News this is the turning point. Theresa May is to introduce a specific offence of police corruption with heavy penalties and she will make it easier for police "whistle blowers" (I didn't see the pun at the time) to report corruption.

Something certainly needs to be done, and pretty darned quickly too.

If there are any decent coppers out there, the current situation is not fair on them either.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »

Changes to double jeopardy saw to it that a murdering bastard was brought to book and banged-up where he should be so what's your problem?

the problem is that it now allows state persecution against an invididual to try them in court as many times as they want now until they get the guilty verdict they want no matter if the person is innocent or not

hasnt happened yet still early days but innocent people will be going to prison due to this change
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    According to the BBC One O'Clock News this is the turning point. Theresa May is to introduce a specific offence of police corruption with heavy penalties and she will make it easier for police "whistle blowers" (I didn't see the pun at the time) to report corruption.

Something certainly needs to be done, and pretty darned quickly too.

If there are any decent coppers out there, the current situation is not fair on them either.

Hard to imagine in your world I'm sure.

There are already plenty of serious offences to cover such behaviour, so I'm not sure what this new offence will be, or whether it is just headline grabbing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    the problem is that it now allows state persecution against an invididual to try them in court as many times as they want now until they get the guilty verdict they want no matter if the person is innocent or not

hasnt happened yet still early days but innocent people will be going to prison due to this change

Hasn't happened yet, because it is not intended, or allowed for the reasons you suggest.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

move on

Quite agree. However, I don't think the Police were racist but I do think they were totally incompetent. The Police originally assumed that a drug dealer had been murdered and therefore didn't treat the case as seriously as they should have. They spied on the suspects secretly so originally they felt that they were justified to spy on the family of the victim.

I agree it's time to move on as the only people to benefit from any further investigation will be the lawyers and the liberal media shitstirrers.

A BBC presenter tried to make out this morning that the latest report states that the Police "smeared" the family of the victim. The local Labour MP had to point out to the BBC that this was untrue.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

I've been told that there is no official report/document to back up that claim. It was never actually said but is constantly repeated as if it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I've been told that there is no official report/document to back up that claim. It was never actually said but is constantly repeated as if it was.

The Macpherson Report did use the term, but the meaning of it is widely misunderstood. Many claim it accuses the Police in general of being racists, and by association, individual Officers are labelled with that tag. That is not what it meant.