Lumps on Animals

2»

Comments

• curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a springer and he develped numerous fatty lumps, which were in akward places and caused him some restriction when exercising, he had six removed but they quickly developed again within 6mths, he also had a little pink lump on the top of his head that grew to the size of a golf ball, this was a cyst which he also had removed. If i were you i would keep a close eye on your dogs lumps, if they cause him/her any problems ask the vet to remove them.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad you got it checked out. Fingers crossed for you and hugs to Bailey.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you joking about cooking him egg and rice? :D:confused:
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you joking about cooking him egg and rice? :D:confused:

No. Honestly thats what he had. :D

He has to be on a 'light diet' for the next day, and the vet advised scrambled egg, rice or plain chicken.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    No. Honestly thats what he had. :D

He has to be on a 'light diet' for the next day, and the vet advised scrambled egg, rice or plain chicken.

Oh well, fair enough then. I guess he's going to be farting like a trooper for a bit now :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guinea pig has a massive cyst and several smaller ones on her belly. Its like a satsuma size, so even on a human would be big . A year ago when I noticed I took her to vet, they gave her gas and took a sample of it. They couldn't identify what it was but said all they knew is it wasnt malignant. Because they are all over her belly an operation to remove would be pointless.

But thats well over a year ago, she is thriving, eating like a pig(!), fur and nails growing and doesn't seem to be in any pain. Anaimls are amazing and just cope with things that a human would cope with far less well.
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old Tom started getting lumps at about 10 yrs old, they did a biopsy & they were cancerous so I had them removed, (we have medical pet insurance). More sprouted after a couple of years & we had the same done. He lived to 15yrs old but eventually the cancer got him, as he got secondaries (stomach cancer) & had to be given euthanasia.
    My other cat a Queen has had a lump on her neck for a couple of years now, that was also biopsied but was found to be non-malignant. It is growing slowly but we've decided not to do anything because she is 16 yrs old now & a general anaesthetic may be too much for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Bailey went on Saturday to have his stitches out. He has been a good lad, and worn his buster collar well, and has left the area alone.

So, the stitches came out - got him home, and :eek:. The wound was completely open. It was like a scene from a horror movie. The cut is about 4 inches long, and it was a big open wound. We could even see the bone of his jaw through it.

My husband and I nearly puked, called the vet and rushed him back. He has now been stapled shut.

So - another 10 days of not being able to walk him, and having to wear a plastic collar. Poor thing. He is so needy at the moment, wanting permanent cuddles and kisses.
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor thing. He is so needy at the moment, wanting permanent cuddles and kisses.

Quite right too ;)

Poor boy, I hope he's feeling much better soon. His wound sounds awful :( Our poor old dog had to wear one of those lampshade collars for about 6 weeks over the summer because of allergies (he chewed himself raw) he was completely miserable the whole time and very very clingy.
  • daisyboodaisyboo Posts: 11,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Bailey went on Saturday to have his stitches out. He has been a good lad, and worn his buster collar well, and has left the area alone.

So, the stitches came out - got him home, and :eek:. The wound was completely open. It was like a scene from a horror movie. The cut is about 4 inches long, and it was a big open wound. We could even see the bone of his jaw through it.

My husband and I nearly puked, called the vet and rushed him back. He has now been stapled shut.

So - another 10 days of not being able to walk him, and having to wear a plastic collar. Poor thing. He is so needy at the moment, wanting permanent cuddles and kisses.

:eek: poor baby (((bailey)))

i was just wondering how he was while reading your other thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Bailey has just gone to the vets to have the lump removed. I dont think any tests are going to be done, as the vet didnt seem overly concerned about it. He just admitted that, if left, it will continue to grow - and it will get very ugly.

It sounds like a cyst (possibly a sebaceous cyst) or a ganglion. As your vet thinks, they're nothing to worry about.

They can grow very big (not always) and often look worse than they are. They are totally harmless and benign and most vets (and doctors for that matter) will only advise removal if they are in a position in the body where they are likely to restrict movement and general, normal activity, or if they become so large or heavy that they cause this, or if they become infected. Sometimes they burst of their own accord.

I hope Bailey makes a speedy recovery. One of my cats had a cyst removed, one of my dogs has one now and one of my previous dogs had one removed and opened his wound just like Bailey as soon as we got him back home.

Oh and my friend will probably kill me for saying this but she has had one removed and two have burst before being removed :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acashoonhay - It was actually cancer. The vet called me in the middle of last week and told me the news. It was benign (thank god), and he is hoping he got it all out.

Here is a piccie of the gorgeous lad in question CIMG0236.jpg