Options

Blatant attempts at rehashing a hit

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    After about a bazzilion years both Brandy and Monica came back with what they clearly wanted to be their follow up hit to "The Boy Is Mine" but the song was just terrible. I can't even remember it's name. Then they milked Whitney Houston's death like there was no tomorrow.

But their recent duet sounded nothing at all like The Boy is Mine so I'm not sure how this relates to the thread:confused:
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Do you mean by the same artists or by different artists?

Recent ones which everybody else will probably mention:

Katy Perry - E.T. and Wide Awake are very similar

Girls Aloud - Something Kinda Oooh and Something New
    Jennifer Lopez - On the Floor and Dance Again

Those are the ones most members on here will point out.

Agree with these! Not the rest. I don't think you can rehash a hit without the hit becoming a hit first.
    Also,

Everything by Taio Cruz
    One Direction - Live while we're Young & What Makes You Beautiful
    Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend & What The Hell
    The Wanted - Glad You Came & Chasing the Sun & I found You

Don't agree with the Beyone Halo & Kelly's Already Gone either. They're maybe similar but definitely not a rehash. I also prefer Already Gone as well though.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't agree with the Beyone Halo & Kelly's Already Gone either. They're maybe similar but definitely not a rehash. I also prefer Already Gone as well though.

Even Kelly herself didn't want to release it because she knew how similar it was to Halo. She didn't want to have it as a single but her label forced her to.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baby One More Time and Oops I Did It Again were identical on purpose. Remember Britney has always been a corporate puppet. They knew that by rehashing her new single with her first one was a brilliant marketing ploy and it was. No one cared as Britney was the sweetheart who could do no wrong.

its fair to assume that most of the blatant copies were deliberate. especially, when the same artist followed up a popular song with a similar sounding track. so i don't know how this sets britney apart.:confused: the only difference is that britney`s sound-a-like track was more successful than others that copied their previous successful sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they are the exact same song. How do you not agree with that? It's not uncommon for producers to use the same music for multiple artists and Ryan Tedder isn't new to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Even Kelly herself didn't want to release it because she knew how similar it was to Halo. She didn't want to have it as a single but her label forced her to.

Reread my post. I said it was similar. I know Kelly thought but I just don't agree that it was a blatant attempt to rehash it.
    sjp07 wrote: »
    they are the exact same song. How do you not agree with that? It's not uncommon for producers to use the same music for multiple artists and Ryan Tedder isn't new to it.

The exact same song? How ridiculous. They're similar as I acknowledged. Personally I just don't see them as the 'exact' same or as a rehash. Just two songs by a producer that sound similar.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll add Lasgo they did a similar attempt after the song "something" I believe it was called "Gone" had the exact sounds but moved about

I'll add say producers like RedOne they'll use a beat on one song and then you'll hear it on another, pretty sure I have either heard or some had been mentioned on forum
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney --> Stronger & Overprotected
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reread my post. I said it was similar. I know Kelly thought but I just don't agree that it was a blatant attempt to rehash it.

The exact same song? How ridiculous. They're similar as I acknowledged. Personally I just don't see them as the 'exact' same or as a rehash. Just two songs by a producer that sound similar.

They use the exact same chord progression and are of a similar style i.e. piano driven with heavy drums. I find it bemusing that you don't think this is a 'rehash attempt' considering Beyoncé had a hit with Halo then like 2 months later Already Gone shows up on Kelly's new album. It was always going to draw comparisons and copying claims.

Surely the fact that Kelly openly claimed that she never wanted it as a single and even went as far as saying that 'people would I think I have stolen it', should tell you that even she was well aware it was a rehash of Halo.

And here's a mash-up in case you still aren't convinced. They are too close to be just 'similar' or a co-incidence.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Dr. Luke rehashes everything. I just noticed that Nicki - Va Va Voom = Britney - Seal It With A Kiss. :yawn:

He and RedOne use the same chords but just change the key. Calvin Harris and David Guetta should use some of their cash to buy some new drum sounds...they use the same things in every song, Laserlight is a blatant rehash of Titanium.

David Guetta even admitted on Capital FM that he uses the same kick drums in a lot of his songs.

Love is Gone, I Gotta Feeling, Gettin' Over You and Club Can't Handle Me sound very similar.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Agree with these! Not the rest. I don't think you can rehash a hit without the hit becoming a hit first.

All the songs I mentioned that were rehased were massive worldwide chart hits though.

And it depends what you call a "hit" anyway. There's been absolutely loads of clones of Motivation by Kelly Rowland in the past couple of years. That song wasn't a massive chart hit, but it was HUGE in the clubs in both the US and Europe, (and also on urban radio), so all the artists that have been aiming for club hits have copied it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I almost forgot. Adele copied a Jessie J hit as well. Set Fire To The Rain is just a slowed down Do It Like A Dude. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3io8gqg79I&sns=em
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thinking about jessie j and david guetta. `laserlight` is a blatant copy of `titanium`.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and kylie`s `come into my world` was clearly similar to `cant get you out of my head`.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Britney has always been a corporate puppet.
    Britney was certainly a puppet at age 16, but from album to album she started becoming more in control creatively, where on In The Zone where she is the first writer on 10 of the tracks. She was then the executive producer of Blackout, then followed her breakdown.

Certainly now, she doesn't seem to have any involvement in her music career but to just dismiss her as some corporate puppet isn't really fair.

On the subject of the thread though, I feel like Little Mix's song DNA is their attempt at re-creating their performance of E.T.
  • Options
    soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    The Wanted - Chasing the sun
    JLS - You make me wanna (I think its called)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapmania wrote: »
    I don't know their names but a girl group recently covered TLC's Waterfalls..... It was horrific! :(

Stooshe.

I know they've got a lot of fans on this forum but yes, I thought it was too :(
  • Options
    soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Stooshe.

I know they've got a lot of fans on this forum but yes, I thought it was too :(

Oops I jumped in and got the wrong end of the stick so I thought I'd get with the programme, lol but yes I hate that TLC rip off.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    But their recent duet sounded nothing at all like The Boy is Mine so I'm not sure how this relates to the thread:confused:

I think it's like the only example of rehashing a hit when the new song sounds nothing like the first song but it's still a good example. Please don't tell me Brandy and Monica weren't trying for the new "The Boy Is Mine" with that song.."It All Belongs To Me"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapmania wrote: »
    Oops I jumped in and got the wrong end of the stick so I thought I'd get with the programme, lol but yes I hate that TLC rip off.

I was surprised by that also .... and TLC are in the video for that song! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also mentioned this on another thread is the group called Bastille new song called "Of the night" and samples both Corona/snap songs - kill 2 songs in 1 great :eek:

I do hope this year will not be the year of more horrific music! :D
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saint Etienne - Pale Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXxlycDer3o

Steps blatant rip off, Summer of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUG2y4Gpf9w :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here's a mash-up in case you still aren't convinced. They are too close to be just 'similar' or a co-incidence.

:eek: I totally hear it! I suppose because I hadn't hear it mixed or one after the other I just didn't realise it but it really does, thanks for that!

p.s. Still prefer Kelly's though, even if it was a rehash.
    All the songs I mentioned that were rehased were massive worldwide chart hits though.

And it depends what you call a "hit" anyway. There's been absolutely loads of clones of Motivation by Kelly Rowland in the past couple of years. That song wasn't a massive chart hit, but it was HUGE in the clubs in both the US and Europe, (and also on urban radio), so all the artists that have been aiming for club hits have copied it.

I was mostly referring to the Nicki songs. My point was that they were all on the same album and presumably recorded before any of them became a hit - by a hit I mean chart success - so although it's rehashing a song it's not rehashing a hit, if you get me?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    get dancin'

i wanna dance wit' choo

two almost identical 70's singles by the splendidly named Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been absolutely loads of clones of Motivation by Kelly Rowland in the past couple of years. That song wasn't a massive chart hit, but it was HUGE in the clubs in both the US and Europe, (and also on urban radio), so all the artists that have been aiming for club hits have copied it.

This is the biggest copy of Motivation though. They are so so similar, and by the same producer about the same subject...I call a rehash. :p
    :eek: I totally hear it! I suppose because I hadn't hear it mixed or one after the other I just didn't realise it but it really does, thanks for that!

p.s. Still prefer Kelly's though, even if it was a rehash.

Ah I get you now...:p There was a huge deal about that though. I felt kinda bad for Kelly because she never wanted it to be a single.